Jack Monroe #285 Please handle your white male saviours

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suspect she has lots of income over the year, and she probably has lots and lots of debt and that's where the money goes (amid more spending). If she could pay off whatever the big debts are one at a time or do some sort of payback scheme, she'd be in a much better place. All this is prob why she can't rent anywhere else either, but who knows.

Missing gigs isn't going to help.

Reactions: 26
classic narc tactic. It’s scary how similarity they can operate. It’s so clever and yet it really isn’t. Most narcs I’ve met aren’t particularly clever people, they are just very cunning and manipulative. It’s like second nature to them, they don’t even have to think about it.

my narc mother did something awful to me. She sold a family heirloom my grandparent had promised me and told a multide of lies over what had been saidwhat hadn’t. A meandering story. When I finally managed to corner her…

“oh I was on so many antidepressants I can’t even remember”

it serves a purpose 1. Shuts down the conversation. As soon as stuff like suicide or mental health are introduced, there’s little else you can say in response to that. I wasn’t really in a position to argue the side effects of her medication or mental health even though I knew she was lying through her teeth. Same with Jack. None of us can realistically say with any authority that she wasn’t in a “fugue state” though it’s clear as day she wasn’t.
2. It victimises the narc. They aren’t a narcissistic liar anymore… they are a poor victim of depression/mental health/insert chosen ailment.
3. they gain control of the narrative. If you press them on the details, you become the bad guy. My raising doubts over my mother having “memory loss” as a result of “antidepressants”, becomes reframed. I’m the vulture grandchild accusing my poor bereaved, depressed mother. Press Jack on her lies over being “stalked” and you become the online troll and bully who is relentlessly attacking someone who just wants to help the poor.
Love to you @cee-bee. My narc mum did EXACTLY the same thing.

@jenny2603 no I don't think so unfortunately. That Owen Jones thing has been going on for a long time due to his long history of bullying and threatening women online. The social media guidelines were issued in 2019 and I'm sure Jack's had some Guardian pieces since then. The Guardian's actions in that case were very much aimed at handling the specific issue of Owen Jones and covering their arses in case of legal action by some of his victims, and because it'll make it easier for them to get rid of him if they have to.

Just gossip and speculation that I'd heard, your honour! I don't need triangulating by Owen Jones as well as Jack! A more devilish duo it is hard to imagine!

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I don’t think the Patreon really took off until Nigella
publicised it - about four or so cheques ago? That’s when the pig hats/spoons/football/earrings/DMboots really took off.
Did she not have a decent amount of followers on there even a year or so ago? A few hundred?

Reactions: 13
Did she not have a decent amount of followers on there even a year or so ago? A few hundred?
I think pre Nigella {boo hiss} her top amount was around 450. But it had been slowly and steadily dropping to under 300. Due to people just not renewing I imagine as she did feck all towards it.

Reactions: 24
Love to you @cee-bee. My narc mum did EXACTLY the same thing.

@jenny2603 no I don't think so unfortunately. That Owen Jones thing has been going on for a long time due to his long history of bullying and threatening women online. The social media guidelines were issued in 2019 and I'm sure Jack's had some Guardian pieces since then. The Guardian's actions in that case were very much aimed at handling the specific issue of Owen Jones and covering their arses in case of legal action by some of his victims, and because it'll make it easier for them to get rid of him if they have to.

Just gossip and speculation that I'd heard, your honour! I don't need triangulating by Owen Jones as well as Jack! A more devilish duo it is hard to imagine!
She's certainly had a few articles since 2019 but what made me wonder was the report in March this year which reading between the lines seems to have been pretty bad so might be beginning to lead to more attention being paid to existing rules or management being more cautious about who they publish. Then again, it's also possible that they felt Jacks article was a load of old toot.

Reactions: 17
I would think she hasn’t applied for it because she know she won’t get it. I’m sorry and this sounds awful but I personally think that she over exaggerates every single condition she claims to have. The autism. The ADHD and the arthritis.

I particularly hate the narrative around her ADHD and autism. All that wonky puppy brain stuff. It makes me cringe.

I just think it’s scummy that her followers paid for her stint in rehab via her Patreon.
I’ve said before in these threads that I worked at DWP for 16 years. Admittedly my knowledge of PIP and UC is out of date, much like Jack’s, but I worked in delivery of key benefits (hate that word) and spent time working as a decision maker during the time Incapacity Benefit was phased out and replaced by ESA. I had to make countless, horrible phone calls to people telling them I was stopping their main source of income based on the outcome of a medical examination they’d attended.
I digress; my point is this: the process is not as simple as saying ‘you have arthritis, here, take this money’.
The system does not have regard for what the name of your condition is, it is assessing why that condition means you are incapable of doing any type of work.
In Jack’s case, she is very lucky to have a list of conditions which have not impacted on her ability to work.
In her case, if I was assessing her the first question I’d put to her is ‘you’ve said on your publicly available social media profile that you regularly work 100 hours a week and you’ve said on your application you’re unable to work. You appear on television, on radio, in front of the commons committee and in newspapers. Could you please explain?’

quite simply she would not qualify.
I had, many years ago, a guy who put a claim in and said he couldn’t go out in public without a chaperone, his mental health was so bad he couldn’t make eye contact with others, couldn’t be in crowds of people, needed a medical examiner to come to his house because he couldn’t travel on public transport. On the day his claim landed on my desk, I’d seen him in concert in Glasgow the night before. I confirmed it was not a case of mistaken identity by comparing the signature in his application to the one which was his branding on his web page and showed that he was in LA a month before (when he couldn’t attend his medical) recording an album.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
As a society, we are far too gullible and complacent in how we allow absolute narcissists and generally unpleasant people, achieve prominent positions and become spokespeople. That’s my profound thinking for today.

Jimmy Saville is the very high end of the scale. A total psychopath abuser who hid in plain sight and got away with it… how, exactly? How did someone do obviously hideous, manage to achieve position and power and have a blind eye turned?

Roman Polanski… Chris Brown… need i say more? Ched Evans was convicted of rape in a court of law, but because his wealthy girlfriend was able to buy new evidence for him in a retrial that saw him acquitted… it’s all forgotten. He’s back to being a footballer.

Then the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, assaulted a man in his place of work and verbally abused him with discriminatory language. We’ve all forgotten and he has his farm TV show and still takes in millions. My friends casually asked who had watched it the other day. The village in the Cotswolds is apparently rammed with visitors trying to visit said farm shop. This was a highly publicised event, everyone knows what Jeremy did

Celeb Big Brother used to be amazing for bringing in “national treasures” who turned out to be awful people (Michael Barrymore, Julie Goodyear are two that spring to mind) and it really strict me as how we, as a nation, could be really easily sucked in and manipulated and willing to turn a blind eye.

look at Captain Tom: an old man walked around his garden a bit and became a national hero. And look how that turned out. Look at how so many dishonest and immoral people become influencers with zealous followings. Elle Darby had a litany of offensive tweets to her name but her followers are willing to overlook all that, and ask her to come back to insta. Why?! Why do we do this?

Jack is at the lower end of the scale in that she’s not predatory or commiting assault, she’s not harming people. She’s just an unpleasant, dishonest person. But it’s shocking how little critical thinking we have as a society, how willing we are to overlook the unpleasant.

• Heart
Reactions: 81
She's certainly had a few articles since 2019 but what made me wonder was the report in March this year which reading between the lines seems to have been pretty bad so might be beginning to lead to more attention being paid to existing rules or management being more cautious about who they publish. Then again, it's also possible that they felt Jacks article was a load of old toot.
I don't know tbh I was just passing on the owen Jones goss I'd heard ;-)

tbh, the tide is clearly starting to turn against JM, even the normies are realising that something isn't quite right. Her outbursts are getting more and more volatile and I think that even the Guardian is starting to realise that maybe she's not the best choice for a guest column. Also, as many previous posters have rightly mentioned, with her few weeks / months of pov now 10 years ago, her voice is simply not relevant compared with others, who would be far more deserving of a platform.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I went for an assessment. Wasn’t for PIP but was a fit to work one. I was signed off sick as I was really unwell with stress and the DWP can now overrule your GP. I got no points and was told I was fit to work. I knew I would get no points so I do understand that getting pip won’t be easy either.

However. I know one person who has basically eaten his way to multiple health conditions. Gets PIP. He has diabetes and has had 3 mini strokes and is always on Twitter bragging that he’s off to New York with his PIP

Which is allowed. He’s never worked a day in his life and I mean never. I’m not a benefit basher btw but you will always get people who need who don’t get and the odd person who just milks the system. I’m not suggesting either that this man isn’t entitled due to his health but he’s always bragging about his well off he is on benefits

he’s a spectacularly horrible person too but that’s another story.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
FWIW I doubt Jack paid a penny of her own money towards the aparthotel/ dayhab. It was all expenses paid for her, otherwise she wouldn’t have done it. God forbid she spends her own money on something like that- she’s saving for a forever home remember. Someone has been manipulated to pay for her, possibly LJC or daddy. Pure speculation, of course, your Honour!

• Wow
Reactions: 37
I suspect she has lots of income over the year, and she probably has lots and lots of debt and that's where the money goes (amid more spending). If she could pay off whatever the big debts are one at a time or do some sort of payback scheme, she'd be in a much better place. All this is prob why she can't rent anywhere else either, but who knows.

Missing gigs isn't going to help.
I think she spends all her money and thinks she'll use the next cheque from a collaboration to pay her tax. And when that arrives she gets giddy and spends that too. I doubt she puts away a percentage of her income.

There exist Guardian commissioning editors who detest her.

• Wow
Reactions: 31
I can't abide Jack's writing style - far too florid and self pitying and pitched at the misery memoir bracket - but underneath the lies and self indulgence there is an interesting story. Not the one she thinks perhaps.
*If* she has restricted access to SB for whatever reason then if she could write about it honestly and without the constant maudlin tone, why it happened and how she feels about it, then it would actually be interesting and helpful.
Also her constant need to lie, temporarily reinvent herself, and crave validation from strangers, start pile ons and then withdraw crying foul., is a fascinating topic. Also how comfortable she is taking money from strangers for nothing.
I suppose she doesn't view herself like that. But a clear eyed non self indulgent analysis would be interesting.

Reactions: 47
For someone who went in on someone for suggesting poor people eat pasta she certainly cooks enough of it herself #hypocrite

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I can't abide Jack's writing style - far too florid and self pitying and pitched at the misery memoir bracket - but underneath the lies and self indulgence there is an interesting story. Not the one she thinks perhaps.
*If* she has restricted access to SB for whatever reason then if she could write about it honestly and without the constant maudlin tone, why it happened and how she feels about it, then it would actually be interesting and helpful.
Also her constant need to lie, temporarily reinvent herself, and crave validation from strangers, start pile ons and then withdraw crying foul., is a fascinating topic. Also how comfortable she is taking money from strangers for nothing.
I suppose she doesn't view herself like that. But a clear eyed non self indulgent analysis would be interesting.
I don't know what the truth of her addiction situation actually is but regardless of substance use she'll never be sober until she stops lying. If she were capable of honesty and working on her bloody awful writing style then she could probably write a very interesting book about her experience of social media addiction and the terrible effect it's had on her. She just seems incapable of learning from her mistakes and is trapped in an endless cycle of suffering victim - triumphant gloating about a success- professional catastrophe.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I have definite thoughts about the SB situation but prefer to keep them to myself, as an adult child of a narc parent i know how long those wounds last and don't want to add to them.

All I will say is that 10 / 11 / 12 are ages when kids go through a big increase in self-awareness and also awareness of the normality or otherwise of their parents' behaviour. It's also an age where they feel more comfortable making and voicing their own choices about their lives.

On Jack's writing style tho - isn't it horrible?? It's like Dickens' worst sentimental passages BUT without the humour, social insight or sparkling command of the English language. It's like EL James, but without the bondage bit to liven it up. The best way I can think of to describe it is if Enid Blyton and Bret Easton Ellis had a kid, a kid for whom Enlgish was neither their first nor second language, and that kid was then asked to re-write A Child Called It, but to make it extra dramatic.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.