Jack Monroe #280 Poverty pimp

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Same with porridge! Seems to fall out of my stomach en masse and leaves me absolutely starving.

Reactions: 28
-when’s breakfast mamapapa I’m famished?
- I’ve just woken up and that’s the first thing you can say? How about good morning mamapapa, or did you sleep well mamapapa?
- did you sleep well mamapapa?
- I didn’t actually. There’s a group of vicious trolls who are mocking my every move - I may have mentioned before - and I was filing everything they have been saying into my ring binders until quite late. OK, breakfast, I’m going to fry up some of those old cooking bacon bits we had for dinner the last two nights and there’s a mouldy apple we can get a few bits from. I’ll chuck it on some porridge and smother in treacle, ok?
- (squeaking!) sing hosanna mamapapa my favourite!
- (bowl of slop gets put on table in front of SB) aren’t you having any mamapapa?
- duck that, I’ve got four McDonald’s McPlant burgers on a Deliveroo on its way, it’s almost lunchtime!
camera cuts away to a toaster sitting on the sideboard
Ends

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
Saaaaame, absolutely RAVENOUS about an hour later and could never understand it. I think Nigella (you're still cancelled Nig hun) came out and said the same just a year or so ago, it's the first/only time I've seen that myth publicly busted.
Thank(space)you! I knew a celeb had said the same and was racking my brain on who it was. Couldn't get google to understand me either! I was thinking Carol Vorderman, but, yes! It was good old Mom!

I don't know why she didn't microwave the porridge? Energy crisis and all that. Food crisis and all that. Jack the poverty campaigner, people.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
If you looked at her Twitter now, what would you think her MO was?

In 24 hours she has gone from Greek cooking to banging on about offal, to talking about heraddiction to Lego, to foul porridge to Trainspotting.

If she wants to be taken seriously this isn’t the way to do it.
This is my thinking, she's done however many tweets today, how much work has she done to alleviate hunger? None. (apart from putting us off our lunch with the foul porridge) What organisations has she promoted using her platform, what solutions has she devised, what has she done to lift up a voice of someone in poverty? Nothing, zilch, nada.

But she works 80 hours a week.

Reactions: 39
I quite like porridge, but, it leaves me super hungry after a couple of hours. Never got the slow release spiel.
Same.

I've started making it for baby cucumber using full fat milk and that keeps me fuller for longer (I'm BUSY I don't have time to make separate breakfasts for everyone!)

Reactions: 23
If you looked at her Twitter now, what would you think her MO was?

In 24 hours she has gone from Greek cooking to banging on about offal, to talking about heraddiction to Lego, to foul porridge to Trainspotting.

If she wants to be taken seriously this isn’t the way to do it.
I would think she has a lot of nerve
Same.

I've started making it for baby cucumber using full fat milk and that keeps me fuller for longer (I'm BUSY I don't have time to make separate breakfasts for everyone!)
For me:
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
Soaked overnight
Served cold or warmed with some berries...

I'm fuelled for about four hours on that; it's a wonder how we process things differently, and I also note I can gobble a very large pizza on my own so there's just no certainty in the world!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I would think she has a lot of nerve

For me:
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
Soaked overnight
Served cold or warmed with some berries...

I'm fuelled for about four hours on that; it's a wonder how we process things differently, and I also note I can gobble a very large pizza on my own so there's just no certainty in the world!
Definitely an element of difference Mr Cucumber can have a bowl of rice krispies and be full for hours, they barely touch the sides for me - like eating air!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I would also add, if not to much of a derail, that having a narc/NPD in the room is an absolute PAIN IN THE ARSE for other members as they tend to swan in, change the entire balance and atmosphere of the meeting, suck attention, create drama, gaslight, do inappropriate things like get involved in romantic relationships with other members, gather flying monkeys, make tension, manipulate, create a huge mess and then disappear. Only to pitch up a few months later in a different room, with a different persona and a different sob story.

Did I mention PAIN IN THE ARSE? Yeah, that.
This is so interesting and backs up a lot of what Jack has said about her time in rehab. From throwing chairs, snarling 'duck off' at a man who tried to be friendly, gently, slowly, hesitantly being coaxed into telling her story, to becoming the beloved Mom of the group providing cakes and a shoulder to cry on. And such a favourite she got offered a P/T job there. All the while no doubt warning others she was sure to be papped by the venal Daily Mail.
It reads like a dramatic film script of Rehab. Yet with Jack there is probably a bit of truth. The centring herself in the group and making it all about her. And how of course it has always been far worse for her than anyone else. Must've been so exhausting for the other participants.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I was wondering if this self proclaimed literal food expert understands what treacle is, but yeah.
View attachment 1172557
Didn't she do exactly that with a treacle molasses date prune "cake"? Said it was diabetes friendly and we nearly fainted with worry about it because she actually half set out a recipe that dumbheads might actually copy?

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
Another thing poor SB had to put up with was the abattoir visit I believe? And Jack telling him how cruel the meat industry is…before she got back on the bollock sausages, goat legs, head cheese 🤢and hearts?
Nothing like consistency to make kids feel secure.

• Sad
Reactions: 37
1649159254525.png

So the main nutrition in a bowl - the milk - is absent. Kids (and women) need calcium as well - and although there is debate between yer actual Vegans and not Vegans whether calcium from animal based sources can be absorbed, all that means is that the responsible dairy free parent uses a fortified milk alternative instead. And then they wouldn't be putting crappy scraps of pig on top.

What's in that saucer with a teaspoon is about a tablespoon of boiled oats, sugar, other sugar, scrapings from a grill pan and some more sugar. Bugger all calories and less nutrition.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.