Jack Monroe #26 Jack be bitter, Jack be quick, Jack stop being such a dick.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
God I’ve just looked at the Patreon for the first time (sorry, I realise I’m probably going over what others have said before) but why the hell are people paying to be her recipe tester? (If they even get that obviously).

I’ve previously seen other cooks ask for testers for their books but with lots of appreciation and a free book at the end of it (if they are lower key and not able to pay them obviously).

Plus I can’t get over the post for the free book for everyone- was it really an April fool? How mean if it was, or was it just general disorganisation? Poor Michael’s comments ☹

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I don't know - I think she might revert to being extremely timid and eager to please. We'd hear constantly about nervous she was, plus lots of in-jokes about her crazy partner in crime dance partner.
For the love of god, where’s the eyeroll reaction ?!?!?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
So glad to read that - I always feel I'm in a minority about Mother!, although the second time I saw it one of the cinema staff cornered me for a 20 discussion on the film's meaning and major themes.
I'll check out your other recommendations as I've never heard of them.
Oh yes, it’s amazing and quite exhausting to watch. That’s so funny you were cornered into a major discussion 😂 The staff member probably clocked you the second time and thought, right - there’s someone to have a back and forth with!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Sorry if I sound harsh here. But if she got a 5 figure sum for the Hellmans gig and very well paid for the daily kitchen gig. Why is she still taking money from her fans? I actually couldn’t believe it when she started selling pictures on twitter. She’s got a decent amount of money salted away clearly. If she ever fell on hard times she would need to do what other people do in these cases. Claim universal credit. If she wants to keep her website going then she should pay for it herself.

There are a few people who have made thousands and more on twitter. Some by pleading poverty. It’s wrong. She’s not poor, nowhere near it. She was poor ten years ago and yes being in poverty leaves you with a feeling that you don’t want to go back there. But it’s not up to her fans to pay her bills.

And the I’ve done loads of stuff for free line doesn’t wash with me either. I know lots of people who have.

It’s absolutely obscene to be paid five figure sums for a few weeks work. More than some people live on in a year (me included) and still expect fans to subsidise you.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Oh I absolutely loved the Witch I thought the ending was
One of the scariest things I’ve ever seen! Kill List is also one of my top horror films ever.

A very different type of horror but I’d also recommend Creep 2014 with Mark Duplass who I think is currently One of the best actors out there) and Creep 2 - one of the only instances where I’d say the sequel is even better than the first film
Kill List is excellent isn’t it. Horrible! But so good. The ending to that as well 🙀.

I’ll check those other ones out!

Reactions: 5
Really liked The Witch. So good! And creepy as.
Also good creepy is Dead Man’s Shoes and Kill List - but they’re more horrible in content so not for the faint hearted. And both quite sad.
Mother! Amazing film and very disturbing. The ending messed me up big time 😬😂
I love Dead Man’s Shoes (it’s one of my all time favourites), and loved Midsommar too. When it comes to horror type stuff, I prefer films that make me feel weird/unsettled to the full on slasher type stuff. I also really liked A Dark Song, which also has a grief theme.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Has she even posted on Patreon since 2018? There's potentially many people who have forgotten they're giving her money for basically duck all every month.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Oh I absolutely loved the Witch I thought the ending was
One of the scariest things I’ve ever seen! Kill List is also one of my top horror films ever.

A very different type of horror but I’d also recommend Creep 2014 with Mark Duplass who I think is currently One of the best actors out there) and Creep 2 - one of the only instances where I’d say the sequel is even better than the first film
I loved Creep 2. It’s actually really funny too.

Reactions: 3
How long ago did the Kickstarter thing happen? Because I’ve just glanced at it and people are still chasing books circa summer last year....
D27BD45F-779D-41DD-8B09-3C987B32776C.jpeg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
Just over 4 years ago I think. I think I got mine around 18 months after I funded it.

She blamed the stress of the court case and underestimating the scale of the project at the time.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
And the I’ve done loads of stuff for free line doesn’t wash with me either. I know lots of people who have.

It’s absolutely obscene to be paid five figure sums for a few weeks work. More than some people live on in a year (me included) and still expect fans to subsidise you.
For me it’s (largely) the way she frames it. Lots of people provide great content for free and Patreon/PayPal is like a virtual tip jar, enabling those who can afford to pay a chance to show their appreciation and help to keep the content free. I (mostly) consider it to be positive especially considering there’s a culture of entitlement to others labours online which disproportionately affects BAME / women etc who are already economically and culturally disadvantaged

But like you pointed out, Jack is financially doing very well for herself and if anything overcompensated for her subpar work

However, the real insult is her claiming poverty and practically demanding payment for her ‘free’ content - can she really claim it’s free if it comes with a side of guilt-tripping you into financial compensation? Plus the poverty claims add an even more uncomfortable layer to this which is sickening because it’s a lie. She tricks people into thinking she’s struggling to keep a roof over her head in order to manipulate them to open up their wallets, despite the fact she’s likely earning several times their salaries. It’s so messed up and at the least this should be considered moral fraud

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
I love Dead Man’s Shoes (it’s one of my all time favourites), and loved Midsommar too. When it comes to horror type stuff, I prefer films that make me feel weird/unsettled to the full on slasher type stuff. I also really liked A Dark Song, which also has a grief theme.
If you like unsettling films try.' It Follows' and Badadook.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
😂 I wonder if she’ll take control of the cooking duties?

If I were a TV producer after the ratings, I'd run a Camp Cook round where the participants could vote for who they wanted to cook for them.

Just to see the reaction if somebody else were voted in as cook every week.

And I'd book Stanley Tucci

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I misread that as dead matts shoes 😱 thought we were gonna have a mass haus frau funeral

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I think if Jack actually produced meaningful content through her Patreon (e.g three exclusive recipes a month or whatever) I would be fine with it. But she seems to add no value through it at all? She hasnt updated it in 2 years! Patreon should not be used as a begging bowl imho. Nothing wrong with genuinely poor people using Patreon/Venmo/PayPal for just donations but not when youre securing 5 figure brand deals.

Reactions: 18
It's pretty much her rent already done and paid for. You know, that rent that she uses as a weapon. Allegedly.
Rightmove suggests that the market rent for a property like hers (two+ bedrooms, ‘bungalow’) would be at least around the £1k/month mark in Southend. I assume Mrs J split Tuesday rent with her (until recently) though, so that would cover her part

If she lived in a real ‘crappy’ two bed property in the area, seems like £660 would about cover it. She claims poverty yet lives in a place which is at minimum almost double the price of what she needs. It doesn’t add up

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.