Jack Monroe #26 Jack be bitter, Jack be quick, Jack stop being such a dick.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Vegetarian who eats very little dairy here, when my Mum declared we were going vegetarian in the 80’s we used to have Sosmix, if anyone remembers that? I’m the only one still veggie in my family now but I hate the texture of meat so my faux meat products need to as non real meat like as possible. I’ve noticed there are so many meat free products now that just cater for people who want to eat less meat and so are very ‘meaty’ in look and texture, it makes me want to hurl just looking at them 😂

Anyway, back to Jack...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Also the talk of veganism... its VERY interesting that this was quietly dropped over a period of time until Jack formally declared about 6 weeks aho she was officially no longer vegan. Just in time for her vegan book (and I'm sorry but putting an "ish" doesnt cover your arse when you purport to making your children buy sausages) to no longer be her most recent book out. VERY interesting indeed.

Reactions: 15
Good evening Cabal.
I've finally been allowed out of my shielding and went to....B AND Q!!!! I know, you're all jealous 🤣🤣🤣🤣 This really is a new world for me. Nearly 14 weeks in my house and I actually put shoes on today!!! The weird queuing and seeing people at a distance will grow on me I suppose....
Anyhoo, because of my exciting outing (I was as excited as i was when i went to Disneyland) I've had an afternoon of catching up on here and 2 things stick out for me ..
First, I really need to see Midsommar. I was in 2 minds but you've all convinced me. Is it on Netflix?

Secondly..Celebrity get me out of here.. JM wouldn't last a week. Apologies for the name drop, but I know Michael Beurk. Only through work, he does a lot of corporate videos and appearances. I have to arrange/set up events for my employer so deal with 'famous' people and their agents (i admit I'm stretching the word famous....)
Mr Beurk is actually really lovely. Very professional but very approachable. My boss once very embarrassingly asked about 'I'm a celebrity'
He didn't hold back...let rip about Edwina Currie 'complete bleep' the food 'i prayed for dysentry' the thing he said the most awful was how boring it all was. He nearly walked out several times because of the boredom. He said that his fee went mostly to the taxman and the rest on new windows for his house.
Can you imagine JM in the jungle? She'd whinge and witch and duck up the food. If the boredom is that bad, can you imagine being stuck with someone like her. Ugh.
Also, whatever pennies she got (i doubt she'd get a very high fee) would (as above mentioned) mostly go to the taxman. Bet she'd still have a tip jar...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I think if Jack actually produced meaningful content through her Patreon (e.g three exclusive recipes a month or whatever) I would be fine with it. But she seems to add no value through it at all? She hasnt updated it in 2 years! Patreon should not be used as a begging bowl imho. Nothing wrong with genuinely poor people using Patreon/Venmo/PayPal for just donations but not when youre securing 5 figure brand deals.
I’ve never thought about it that way before (people not short of money using Patreon) I only heard of it a few months ago as I follow Dawn O’Porter on Instagram who charges £4 a month maximum on her Patreon. I guess for the price of a magazine it’s not so bad. £80 (isn’t that what Jack charges?) to be her recipe tester is a pisstake in the extreme. I’m a tightwad though and even £4 is more than I’d commit to anything.

Vegetarian who eats very little dairy here, when my Mum declared we were going vegetarian in the 80’s we used to have Sosmix, if anyone remembers that? I’m the only one still veggie in my family now but I hate the texture of meat so my faux meat products need to as non real meat like as possible. I’ve noticed there are so many meat free products now that just cater for people who want to eat less meat and so are very ‘meaty’ in look and texture, it makes me want to hurl just looking at them 😂

Anyway, back to Jack...
What meat alternatives do you like? I have one of the BOSH books because I wanted a book that didn’t rely on loads of faux meat but duck me, everything is made with mushrooms and I can’t stand the sluggy things :sick:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Good evening Cabal.
I've finally been allowed out of my shielding and went to....B AND Q!!!! I know, you're all jealous 🤣🤣🤣🤣 This really is a new world for me. Nearly 14 weeks in my house and I actually put shoes on today!!! The weird queuing and seeing people at a distance will grow on me I suppose....
Anyhoo, because of my exciting outing (I was as excited as i was when i went to Disneyland) I've had an afternoon of catching up on here and 2 things stick out for me ..
First, I really need to see Midsommar. I was in 2 minds but you've all convinced me. Is it on Netflix?

Secondly..Celebrity get me out of here.. JM wouldn't last a week. Apologies for the name drop, but I know Michael Beurk. Only through work, he does a lot of corporate videos and appearances. I have to arrange/set up events for my employer so deal with 'famous' people and their agents (i admit I'm stretching the word famous....)
Mr Beurk is actually really lovely. Very professional but very approachable. My boss once very embarrassingly asked about 'I'm a celebrity'
He didn't hold back...let rip about Edwina Currie 'complete bleep' the food 'i prayed for dysentry' the thing he said the most awful was how boring it all was. He nearly walked out several times because of the boredom. He said that his fee went mostly to the taxman and the rest on new windows for his house.
Can you imagine JM in the jungle? She'd whinge and witch and duck up the food. If the boredom is that bad, can you imagine being stuck with someone like her. Ugh.
Also, whatever pennies she got (i doubt she'd get a very high fee) would (as above mentioned) mostly go to the taxman. Bet she'd still have a tip jar...
So pleased you went out today x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh yes, it’s amazing and quite exhausting to watch. That’s so funny you were cornered into a major discussion 😂 The staff member probably clocked you the second time and thought, right - there’s someone to have a back and forth with!
I know it’s OT but I’m loving this film chat 😍

‘mother!’ fucked me up good’n’proper. I still don’t know what I think of it. I’m pretty hard to disturb, film-wise, and that left me gasping. The ending made me feel like I’d been punched in the gut. Violent, obscene, upsetting. And tough to swallow as, while it was extreme and had broader themes, that whole feminine energy and submission touched a ‘you must be nice to people, even when they’re making you uncomfortable’ nerve.

While we’re talking about things that make you go ‘hmm’, the talk of ‘Dead Man’s Shoes’ made me think of Paddy Considine. ‘Tyrannosaur’ still leaves me breathless and while not a horror, stayed with me for a bloody long time. Recommended, but not for a sad day. For a resilient day.

• Heart
I’ve never thought about it that way before (people not short of money using Patreon) I only heard of it a few months ago as I follow Dawn O’Porter on Instagram who charges £4 a month maximum on her Patreon. I guess for the price of a magazine it’s not so bad. £80 (isn’t that what Jack charges?) to be her recipe tester is a pisstake

What meat alternatives do you like? I have one of the BOSH books because I wanted a book that didn’t rely on loads of faux meat but duck me, everything is made with mushrooms and I can’t stand the sluggy things :sick:
So my partner subsribes to a musician's Patreon and he gets access to exclusive music videos and songs - to me that's what a Patreon should be for! Paying for a service of someone you want to support. Not just a begging bowl!

I know the latter bit of your question wasnt to me but I love the Vivera plant based meats if you want an alt. Their mince, bacon bits, kebab meat and chicken bits are particularly good! Available at Tesco.

Reactions: 14
That Man’s son Is obviously quite passionate about food. You can he was brought up learning about flavours and fresh ingredients. And he’s a decent presenter too!

He’s so good, also isn’t it insane how much he looks like the spitting image of both of his parents?! Like if you had to guess who they were it’d be easy🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Good evening Cabal.

Midsommar is on prime if you have it. I really love Florence Pugh (who’s also in the new Little Women) which I also liked.
Oh my god @FrumpyCat and @Badlyplatedflapjacks - I LOVE It Follows.

Sorry for all the film chat guys, but also loving it. Wish I could meet all you dark horror loving members of the cabal so we could wax lyrical about films ❤ Anything to take minds of the actual and real horrors of what’s going on right now, of which I have no words, just emotions for (and none of them good).

If we want to bring it back to JM and link with the horror theme, see pic attached:

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Sorry if I sound harsh here. But if she got a 5 figure sum for the Hellmans gig and very well paid for the daily kitchen gig. Why is she still taking money from her fans? I actually couldn’t believe it when she started selling pictures on twitter. She’s got a decent amount of money salted away clearly. If she ever fell on hard times she would need to do what other people do in these cases. Claim universal credit. If she wants to keep her website going then she should pay for it herself.

There are a few people who have made thousands and more on twitter. Some by pleading poverty. It’s wrong. She’s not poor, nowhere near it. She was poor ten years ago and yes being in poverty leaves you with a feeling that you don’t want to go back there. But it’s not up to her fans to pay her bills.

And the I’ve done loads of stuff for free line doesn’t wash with me either. I know lots of people who have.

It’s absolutely obscene to be paid five figure sums for a few weeks work. More than some people live on in a year (me included) and still expect fans to subsidise you.
This is what I've been trying to say about her for many threads but you've put it better! She has been poor and in poverty. She isn't now. I'm so sick of the I'm still poor, living pay check to pay check with the worry of where my next job is coming from. You know what Jack, so are lots of us! Fixed term contracts, the car breaking or the roof leaking are worries lots of us live with. I'm not poor but I'm not rich. I have to budget and have very very little disposable income. I have a mortgage (fancy) but I was in a position to get it and it's cheaper than renting. But I live in a TINY house not in the area I'd like to live because I can't afford it-rented or mortgage. I don't have the luxury of paying myself the living wage because actually, I couldn't afford to live on it. Unless I was working 27 hours a day. And I would wager that every one of Jack's cooking peers put out free content because that's how they increase their engagement and sell their books. JO has been brilliant in this recently and his website is amazing. Where are all these recipes that Jack creates? Surely not all will go in a book so why not put some on the site. They never materialise. What about some guest recipes from cooks like Alexis? I'm so sick of the poor bellyaching. Who else in the public eye constantly tells you how poor they are or what tit book deals they've got? It's embarrassing. I've said it before but she could do so much good with moving on from it and accepting that she's no longer in that place but she can still stay true to her cause and beliefs. And if what she's doing doesn't pay the bills, find another job. That's what everyone else does.

Yikes, sorry for the essay but I feel better now.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I’ve never thought about it that way before (people not short of money using Patreon) I only heard of it a few months ago as I follow Dawn O’Porter on Instagram who charges £4 a month maximum on her Patreon. I guess for the price of a magazine it’s not so bad. £80 (isn’t that what Jack charges?) to be her recipe tester is a pisstake in the extreme. I’m a tightwad though and even £4 is more than I’d commit to anything.

Yeah, im allergic to mushrooms - we are baaaaaad vegetarians 😂 I have that book too and I’m disappointed in it to be honest, it’s not as good as I hoped it would be. I use a lot of Quorn mince and some of their other products, Tesco have some good meat alternatives that don’t taste like meat. I mostly cook from scratch and use other protein sources along with the obligatory vegetables. It’s a hell of a lot easier now than it was even a decade ago though eh. I just wish restaurants and other eateries would stop being lazy and think up other suitable vegetarian food than using mushrooms. Use your imagination guys!

Reactions: 11
He’s so good, also isn’t it insane how much he looks like the spitting image of both of his parents?! Like if you had to guess who they were it’d be easy🤣
Someone said they feel a bit iffy about celebs children on tv and I agree but I do love Buddy. I thought he was great on the JO programme when he was helping out. I think he has a real interest in food and cooking and it's lovely to see. He looks so happy and confident. And yes, it's so strange how he looks so similar to both his parents!

Reactions: 8
Yeah, im allergic to mushrooms - we are baaaaaad vegetarians 😂 I have that book too and I’m disappointed in it to be honest, it’s not as good as I hoped it would be. I use a lot of Quorn mince and some of their other products, Tesco have some good meat alternatives that don’t taste like meat. I mostly cook from scratch and use other protein sources along with the obligatory vegetables. It’s a hell of a lot easier now than it was even a decade ago though eh. I just wish restaurants and other eateries would stop being lazy and think up other suitable vegetarian food than using mushrooms. Use your imagination guys!
We’re veggies too, but hardly ever use any meat alternatives as don’t like if they’re too meaty in taste and texture! Do eat a fair bit of tofu though and sometimes Quorn mince with tomatoes for pasta if I feel lazy. But mostly, I just cook up a tit load of veggies and have it with alternating grains and pastas and beans 😂

Anyway, back to Jack...
I agree with you about the “meaty “ look. I don’t understand why you would want to eat something which looks like meat. You can buy vegi burgers which contain beetroot to replicate blood 🤢

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I don't know how old Buddy Oliver is but omg how embarrassing that he seems more competent, interested and knowledgeable about food than I have ever seen Jack. Plus that meal actually looked appetizing. I can understand why he wasn't nervous as his dad was filming and it wasn't live, but even so he chatted and explained what he was doing in a very engaging way.
THAT BOY.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I agree with you about the “meaty “ look. I don’t understand why you would want to eat something which looks like meat. You can buy vegi burgers which contain beetroot to replicate blood 🤢
Blergh no thanks. Give me a vegetable burger made from actual vegetables any day 😍

Joining the horror chat, because horror is my fav. But I cannot be doing with anything paranormal. Stuff like that keeps me awake at night and plays on my mind for days. I’m in my 30s and still run to bed after turning the lights off at night. Give me guts and gore any day.

I’m waiting for It: Chapter 2 to come on Sky. I loved the first one and highly recommend it.

• Heart
I really liked the honey rosemary brush in buddy’s video. Not sure if you would get much rosemary flavour but it looked nice

Reactions: 5
I know it’s OT but I’m loving this film chat 😍

‘mother!’ fucked me up good’n’proper. I still don’t know what I think of it. I’m pretty hard to disturb, film-wise, and that left me gasping. The ending made me feel like I’d been punched in the gut. Violent, obscene, upsetting. And tough to swallow as, while it was extreme and had broader themes, that whole feminine energy and submission touched a ‘you must be nice to people, even when they’re making you uncomfortable’ nerve.

While we’re talking about things that make you go ‘hmm’, the talk of ‘Dead Man’s Shoes’ made me think of Paddy Considine. ‘Tyrannosaur’ still leaves me breathless and while not a horror, stayed with me for a bloody long time. Recommended, but not for a sad day. For a resilient day.
Tyrannosaur is an amazing film and brilliantly acted, but I’d never be able to watch it again.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In my dreams our cabal meets under the cover of darkness to watch Phantom Thread while comparing potions and the best ways to administer our tinctures 🔮🧪💖

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.