Jack Monroe #26 Jack be bitter, Jack be quick, Jack stop being such a dick.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I lived near Grenfell, I struggle to believe it wasnt about poverty/class/race. If the residents were held in higher regard, I believe the works would have been done and the conditions would have been much better.
You may have that opinion but as someone involved as a tenant in trying to resolve our cladding issues, having met with many and varied tenants, leaseholders and owners, I could not agree.

It clearly is nothing to do with poverty/class/race. Everyone affected is equally traumatised. To reduce it to that minimises the traumatising effect this has had for all people living in this type of cladded building. The culpability lies with those who passed this cladding for use on all manner of unsuitable buildings. It isn't even the builders fault, they are told what to install. It isn't the architects fault, they look at all the approved cladding options and chose one. It is solely the responsibility of those that approved it as appropriate for high rise buildings.

There are apartments on Salford Quays which sell for half a million that are covered in this material. So people living in them were as much at risk. Poverty didn't come into it, and similarly class was not an issue. I believe that there are similar blocks in London. Where things differ, is that the owners of these apartments have greater chance of a quick response to cladding replacement. Although those people stretched on a mortgage are finding things particularly hard since a judge said it is the leaseholders responsibility to replace cladding, not the building owners.

The social housing blocks in Salford have majority white residents, so race didn't have a bearing on cladding choice here. We were involved in the choice, and were assured of its safety. Salford still has the greatest number of affected blocks.

I was involved in the tenant consultation for the cladding instalation on our block. The primary function for cladding our (and all social housing blocks) was to improve insulation to EU standards. Our block is 24 storey originally clad in brick. It was far from an eyesore. The original intention was to IMPROVE life for the residents. They did not spend millions cladding buildings just for aesthetic reasons. Although it was nice to have a great looking home to come back to.

The works were carried out to existing regulations, that is where things went wrong. The sole responsibility is those that passed this type of cladding as suitable.

No one, and I mean no one, would have agreed to that cladding if they had known how dangerous it was, no matter who the intended residents were. It is down to those people that test and agree standards, and them alone.

JM is jumping on a bandwagon, saying she knows the reason for the failure because of her experience in the fire service. Experience limited to call handling.

I know more about it because it has directly affected me every day of the past three years, and probably for at least a year to come. And being shielding for the past few months had exacerbated those feelings. Trying to make it a race issue is dangerous, as those of us up north living in dangerously clad buildings feel marginalised and this will increase race tensions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Oh, @Flumps - I'm sorry love. What a kick in the boobs. Please don't fret about your reaction - I'm sure your fella would understand. I certainly would if I had just delivered bad news, especially if it was part of a bit of a stretch of bad luck.

Speaking of alcohol recovery, I know from bitter family experience that someone who drinks that much (well, not quite that much...!) does not go cold turkey into productiveness and head clarity. My family member got hospitalised because she was vomiting blood, among other things.

I know, #notallalcoholics, but forgive me for being skeptical.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hopefully they'll invest in more into creating ethical vaccines one day.
And vegans wont have to use animal ingredient vaccines.

The amount of judgement people who decide not to vaccinate for their beliefs etc is colossal.
Bar the royal family.

Piss boiling everywhere.
Probably another bladder infection.
The royals don’t vaccinate? How strange. I wonder why?

Reactions: 4
You may have that opinion but as someone involved as a tenant in trying to resolve our cladding issues, having met with many and varied tenants, leaseholders and owners, I could not agree.

It clearly is nothing to do with poverty/class/race. Everyone affected is equally traumatised. To reduce it to that minimises the traumatising effect this has had for all people living in this type of cladded building. The culpability lies with those who passed this cladding for use on all manner of unsuitable buildings. It isn't even the builders fault, they are told what to install. It isn't the architects fault, they look at all the approved cladding options and chose one. It is solely the responsibility of those that approved it as appropriate for high rise buildings.

There are apartments on Salford Quays which sell for half a million that are covered in this material. So people living in them were as much at risk. Poverty didn't come into it, and similarly class was not an issue. I believe that there are similar blocks in London. Where things differ, is that the owners of these apartments have greater chance of a quick response to cladding replacement. Although those people stretched on a mortgage are finding things particularly hard since a judge said it is the leaseholders responsibility to replace cladding, not the building owners.

The social housing blocks in Salford have majority white residents, so race didn't have a bearing on cladding choice here. We were involved in the choice, and were assured of its safety. Salford still has the greatest number of affected blocks.

I was involved in the tenant consultation for the cladding instalation on our block. The primary function for cladding our (and all social housing blocks) was to improve insulation to EU standards. Our block is 24 storey originally clad in brick. It was far from an eyesore. The original intention was to IMPROVE life for the residents. They did not spend millions cladding buildings just for aesthetic reasons. Although it was nice to have a great looking home to come back to.

The works were carried out to existing regulations, that is where things went wrong. The sole responsibility is those that passed this type of cladding as suitable.

No one, and I mean no one, would have agreed to that cladding if they had known how dangerous it was, no matter who the intended residents were. It is down to those people that test and agree standards, and them alone.

JM is jumping on a bandwagon, saying she knows the reason for the failure because of her experience in the fire service. Experience limited to call handling.

I know more about it because it has directly affected me every day of the past three years, and probably for at least a year to come. And being shielding for the past few months had exacerbated those feelings.
It wasnt just the cladding. There were issues with safety through the building and nothing was actioned.

Perhaps I am just hardened by it because I grew up in an area that was neglected and primarily full of BAME people. I hung around Grenfell. It was an unsightly building in an area that attracts fame & wealth. I dont think the sole cause was due to race, class or poverty but it absolutely played a part in Grenfell. As for other buildings in other areas - 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 10
You literally said it "Boils my piss when "vegans" say they've had all the vaccines."

You also said it should be a personal choice in a different post. So why are you having a go at other vegan's choices when this is a medical issue?
I'd sympathise for them. But the vaccine itself that they are using isn't vegan.

Hopefully one day vaccines will be accessible/safe/ethical for everyone.

Then one day my family and children can also be vaccinated too.

Sure old Liz and her cru still will decline them though.

• Angry
Reactions: 1
She downloaded the building plans and went onto the site the next day for what exactly?? This reminds me so much of the whole Redcar saga 🙄
Tbh I don't think she would be very helpful standing their waving the plans of the building during a time when people are mourning their loved ones and their belongings. I mean yeah sure, after a month or so show them off but not during the actual event. I think the people may have had bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: 7
Thread name idea
I’m too busy taking pics for my only fans, which is why in my lives I’m always forgetting pots and pans

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Tbh I don't think she would be very helpful standing their waving the plans of the building during a time when people are mourning their loved ones and their belongings. I mean yeah sure, after a month or so show them off but not during the actual event. I think the people may have had bigger fish to fry.

Let's face it. She didn't do it. And is just talking about it all to make it slightly about her.

I'll never understand why she must centre herself in the middle of any given topic...

Reactions: 6
It wasnt just the cladding. There were issues with safety through the building and nothing was actioned.

Perhaps I am just hardened by it because I grew up in an area that was neglected and primarily full of BAME people. I hung around Grenfell. It was an unsightly building in an area that attracts fame & wealth. I dont think the sole cause was due to race, class or poverty but it absolutely played a part in Grenfell. As for other buildings in other areas - 🤷🏻‍♀️
As is our building. There are over 500 points raised on a fire report on our building. A report we were refused access to until a tribunal judge forced them to release it. Nothing had been actioned in the 2 years since the report had been commissioned.

Salford is one of the most deprived areas of Britain, with inequality between the redevelopment areas being stark. They were attempting to improve the properties that we were living in, as they were at Grenfell. It failed due to the fact that standards were wrong. If the cladding used on Grenfell was not approved for use on high rise, it wouldn't have been used. Simple as.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
As is our building. There are over 500 points raised on a fire report on our building. A report were refused access to until a tribunal judge forced them to release it. Nothing had been actioned in the 2 years since the report had been commissioned.

Salford is one of the most deprived areas of Britain, with inequality between the redevelopment areas being stark. They were attempting to improve the properties that we were living in, as they were at Grenfell. It failed due to the fact that standards were wrong. If the cladding used on Grenfell was not approved for use on high rise, it wouldn't have been used. Simple as.
I dont have the headspace to debate this tbh.

Reactions: 6
this tit is why i need to stay away from the internet when my mental healths fucked and my world feels like its crumbling. Anything sets me off.

This must be how it feels to be Jack 🥴

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.