Jack Monroe #163 Not saying anything new

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never thought of this before, but you're right, why on earth does she have a toolkit round her waist on the cover of a recipe book as though she's coming to fix your boiler or something 😂

it's ~hilariously~ filled with kitchen utensils though. like she's gonna come and rifle through your tins like a culinary Handy Andy

I've always thought that pic has quite a threatening aura

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Forgive me for not knowing how Twitter works exactly. How does she have 330k+ followers but merely get 1k or so likes on an average tweet? Have thousands and thousands of people muted her? Blocked her (or does that show as an unfollow?)? Her reach seems extremely minimal and I just can't imagine her books selling well at all due to this.

She is offensive, self-absorbed, a liar yet thinks she's a celebrity activist. How? 🤯🧐
It's pretty low engagement for an account like hers. I do wonder whether she's boosted her follower numbers. A quick look on archive.org showed that in 2018 she had about 147k, so she's gained a lot since then. I can't imagine seeing her on something like DKL and being like oooh must follow that one.

Reactions: 29
it's ~hilariously~ filled with kitchen utensils though. like she's gonna come and rifle through your tins like a culinary Handy Andy

I've always thought that pic has quite a threatening aura
Eee gads, imagine Jack turning up at your door with a toolkit filled with her filthy cutlery, on a mission to desecrate all your tins of chickpeas 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 47
It's pretty low engagement for an account like hers. I do wonder whether she's boosted her follower numbers. A quick look on archive.org showed that in 2018 she had about 147k, so she's gained a lot since then.
That was the Katie Hopkins effect I think, and all the publicity she got on the back of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
As a matter of general interest, since mid-November I've been keeping a notepad file of the Jack Dictionary which lists every word or phrase she either doesn't understand or can't spell as well as those she has over-used to the point of absurdity. I've had to spoiler it for length. Such good at literal words, much 7x author 🥴

altruistic
atrocious
avaricious
basking
béchamel
belligerent
beside oneself
bit-part
bouldering
buttercream
cantankerous
cacophony
cannellini
ceremoniously
compassion
dredge
ephemera
eponymous
expunge
fauna
febrile
firepower
flummox
fold
ginger
granular
homogeneous
humility
immaculate
incremental
lascivious
loath
love-in
luxuriate
maceration
marauding
mendacious
minimal
peripatetic
progeny
rough-hewn
sedition
siesta
sojourn
thank you
triumvirate
tutelage
unctuous
vernacular
wistful
work
Serious suggestion: gaslighting.

The real use of the word: verb: an abuser or malevolent person deliberately doing things to make a victim doubt their own sense of reality, in order to: increase the victims mental vulnerability; make them doubt their own experiences of abuse; and also to psychologically torment the victim for their own fun.

Jack uses it to mean anyone who questions her lies. She used the phrase "their gaslight narrative" when referring to doubting Tattlers, so she doesn't even known how to use the word in a grammatically correct way, let alone with the appropriate meaning.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Serious suggestion: gaslighting.

The real use of the word: verb: an abuser or malevolent person deliberately doing things to make a victim doubt their own sense of reality, in order to: increase the victims mental vulnerability; make them doubt their own experiences of abuse; and also to psychologically torment the victim for their own fun.

Jack uses it to mean anyone who questions her lies.
Now, see, I have no idea whether gaslighters know they're gaslighting. I mean, Jack's clearly a gaslighter extraordinaire, and calling anyone who questions her a gaslighter is an example of that. Does she *know* that's what she's doing, though? Or does she seriously think that anyone who doesn't just passively accept anything and everything she says is abusive? (Sorry I've had a couple of glasses of wine and feel that I'm coming over all 'Jack' by posting too much).

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Speaking of the stuffing soup, haven't seen our MancBee on thread lately, hope you're ok and just taking a break from the chaos, Manc!

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Forgive me for not knowing how Twitter works exactly. How does she have 330k+ followers but merely get 1k or so likes on an average tweet? Have thousands and thousands of people muted her? Blocked her (or does that show as an unfollow?)? Her reach seems extremely minimal and I just can't imagine her books selling well at all due to this.

She is offensive, self-absorbed, a liar yet thinks she's a celebrity activist. How? 🤯🧐
I would say no - Twitter likes are always much lower than for example Instagram likes. Generally you’ll only get Tweets with thousands of likes if they go ‘viral’, or get lots of retweets. Most followers won’t like every tweet she posts, that’s quite normal.

Reactions: 20
Now, see, I have no idea whether gaslighters know they're gaslighting. I mean, Jack's clearly a gaslighter extraordinaire, and calling anyone who questions her a gaslighter is an example of that. Does she *know* that's what she's doing, though? Or does she seriously think that anyone who doesn't just passively accept anything and everything she says is abusive? (Sorry I've had a couple of glasses of wine and feel that I'm coming over all 'Jack' by posting too much).
I think she does but she's emotionally desperate to control the narrative. It's sort of gaslighting but she's not meaning to abuse anyone. With the exception of fraud, any harm she causes is collateral damage.

In the traditional usage of the word, the perps definitely know they're doing it. For example, I know a DV victim whose abuser moved items around the house when she wasn't looking to confound her, then he angrily denied he did it.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 32
I wonder if she’s still using her sock puppet accounts. It’s hilarious how you can tell that despite the different name it’s the same person.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Hi Jack, I generally don't mind if someone writes an intro to a recipe which is all about how their gran showed them how to do it / how it reminds them of their first visit to Italy / whatever. What I *do* mind is the insertion of some fake poverty narrative / how they stubbed their toe on the skirting boards as they reached for the oregano / paragraph after paragraph of how hard they have it / etc. HTH!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Just half-watching Grayson's Art Club, and listening to Nigella excitedly (in a genuine way) talk about the creativity and pleasure you can get from cooking is such a contrast to Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
mom's on grayson perry's art club. and I'm not sure if I just misheard or am that tired, but it sounded like grayson just said a pic of someone's fridge was 100% vegan 😮

nb I mean no conspiracy theory, merely odd coincidence

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.