Jack Monroe #150 Haven’t you got peas to discuss?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't find the proof yet but our ALIVE Grandfather from Urban75 is saying that in late 2012, Jack was deliberately under-claiming £100 worth of benefits per week while saying she was only earning £50 from her local weekly newspaper column.

Also he said that in 2012, Jack was the local Labour press secretary, and that she had recently deleted everything about it from her blog. This isn't a big role and I don't think it's paid. He believes that she is a Labour stooge. I personally don't think so, but I think her activism would have certainly opened doors for her and earned her important connections.

ETA I also think how active she was in the Labour party in 2012 is noteworthy, because during Poverty renditions, she implies that she was all alone and the only contact she had with other adults was the bailiffs hammering at her door. Instead it seems that she had a rich and active life in 2012.

• Wow
Reactions: 56
Funny quote from a pro-Jack person:

"I would do loads of things differently with the same food on the same budget but then I was born with 'fussy eater' stamped on my forehead. Guardian was propmoting her vids the other day and I took immediate hump, before checking out her website and getting the impression that she is ok, angry and practical with it. Wouldn't feed her grub to my dog though."

:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 38
It’s been said before Jack chose not to claim benefits, telling SB that “mummy works” it’s also been hinted at in some retells of The Poverty. Somewhere on the threads someone popped up and said they were on a FB group at the time for parents or something, and it was announced by Jack that they wouldn’t claim benefits and the FB group were imploring Jack to do it and think of SB and his needs 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
I can't find the proof yet but our ALIVE Grandfather from Urban75 is saying that in late 2012, Jack was deliberately under-claiming £100 worth of benefits per week while saying she was only earning £50 from her local weekly newspaper column.

Also he said that in 2012, Jack was the local Labour press secretary, and that she had recently deleted everything about it from her blog. This isn't a big role and I don't think it's paid. He believes that she is a Labour stooge. I personally don't think so, but I think her activism would have certainly opened doors for her and earned her important connections.

ETA I also think how active she was in the Labour party in 2012 is noteworthy, because during Poverty renditions, she implies that she was all alone and the only contact she had with other adults was the bailiffs hammering at her door. Instead it seems that she had a rich and active life in 2012.
Yup, from what I've seen on Instagram, at least, she was out and about regularly - and was even cooking some decent meals!

Reactions: 20
In better news, I heard my Mum is going to be vaccinated in two weeks. Dad shouldn't be far behind. Anyone else almost get a bit weepy when they heard? A semi normal life is within reach canal! We just have to hold on a bit longer.

Thanks for always being here ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 98
It’s been said before Jack chose not to claim benefits, telling SB that “mummy works” it’s also been hinted at in some retells of The Poverty. Somewhere on the threads someone popped up and said they were on a FB group at the time for parents or something, and it was announced by Jack that they wouldn’t claim benefits and the FB group were imploring Jack to do it and think of SB and his needs 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yes because whats wrong with claiming benefits if you really need them?
Its almost as if she thinks there is a stigma attached to that?
Hmm i wonder why?
Could it be that either she didn't really need them or else she thinks that it is somehow beneath her?

Reactions: 54
From the podcast today: her shift pattern was 4 on, 4 off so she did cafe and bar work. Her boss told her 2 of those 4 days were for sleeping but she worked anyway.
Which ties in with meeting the dad in a cafe. But raises more questions. If you worked that many hours, what were you spending money on? I save the most when work goes nuts as I don't have time to buy anything bar food or do anything. Unless she was already in "inflated lifestyle" mode and working to service debts.

Edited for carrots and a missing word
That's ridiculous. No wonder she had childcare issues. I sometimes wonder if her performance at the fire service was a bit tit, which is why they were reluctant to help her out with the hours. They were probably hoping she'd resign.

One thing the Urban 75 forums made me think about again - why didn't Jack ever go to a tribunal? If they were being so unreasonable about her childcare situation, and she had to quit due to the amount of stress, surely she'd have them into court for a bit of constructive dismissal? You could probably get a nice bit of settlement cash out of them.

Reactions: 50
As with most things Jack says I have no idea if she is telling the truth about that.

Hasn't she also claimed her benefits were suspended because she left her job. Spoiler, they weren't.

Reactions: 29
I think my favourite thing at the moment is all the versions of Jack and when we get to revisit one

Reactions: 23
That's ridiculous. No wonder she had childcare issues. I sometimes wonder if her performance at the fire service was a bit tit, which is why they were reluctant to help her out with the hours. They were probably hoping she'd resign.

One thing the Urban 75 forums made me think about again - why didn't Jack ever go to a tribunal? If they were being so unreasonable about her childcare situation, and she had to quit due to the amount of stress, surely she'd have them into court for a bit of constructive dismissal? You could probably get a nice bit of settlement cash out of them.
Again from podcast, she said someone in the fire service suggested she went to the papers but she wanted a quiet life. She acknowledged that was somewhat ironic.
Luckily she stopped short of quoting Alanis or this would become personal! I had tickets to see her last October and the rearranged gig is the only date in my 2021 calendar. Couldn't cope with Jackie ruining that for me!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Another bit for the timeline. In this Guardian article from December 2013, responding to criticism that she was a sellout for her Sainsbury's adverts, Jack says this:

"As for the accusations that everybody has a price? Mine is £1,653 for six weeks' work. My actual fee is higher, identical to what the other three bloggers in the campaign are being paid, but I am keeping £1,653 to myself – the equivalent of the living wage for the six weeks that the campaign will run for. The rest is going into the tax pot; to a food project in Africa that I am visiting with Oxfam in January; and to my local food bank and homeless shelter. My friends think I'm bonkers. They tell me I've earned it, to keep it, to squirrel it away – but if I was in it for the money I'd have leapt at the first advertising deal offered to me almost a year ago for an upmarket butter brand, and all the 50 or so since then. I didn't. Am I guilty of selling out? Hardly."

Almost a year ago - that would be about January 2013. When according to other quotes, at this date she was destitute, starving, unemployed and reliant upon foodbanks. Did she really turn down a big advertising deal in the throes of poverty? Followed by 50 more work opportunities? Or is absolutely all of it bullshit?

She's so desperate to fight any criticism that she will mindlessly oppose it head on, even if doing so contradicts previous defenses or exposes previous lies. In this case her desperation to not be seen as a money-hungry sell-out means that she is contradicting her tale of jobless poverty woe.
She's doesn't have a problem being a sell out now. So glad she overcame her problem

• Haha
Reactions: 35

Her friend said she tried to rescind her resignation from the fire service but they wouldn't let her. Sounds like they were pleased when she resigned

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Apparently Jack thought it could work, everyone living together in a sort of commune and co-parenting with each other (not sure how the dad and his partner would have felt about this lol) and then when SB's dad's relationship broke down, SB really ramped up the whole 'living together' thing and that's when Jack told him that she likes girls. Then SB tried to set her up with his friends' mums.
And yet she didn't even think enough of him tell him she was pregnant, so how the hell did she think that would work?

• Sad
Reactions: 27
god, I've just remembered (despite reading about them both all day) the kitten was literally named after today's podcast host.

(well, once jack had read comments here saying how offensive just pretzel was for a name)

and I can't seem to recall jack and sophie eb communicating on twitter before that, so it kinda just goes to show the sickening lengths she'll go to for blue tick attention 😔

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
"My friends think I'm bonkers. They tell me I've earned it, to keep it, to squirrel it away – but if I was in it for the money I'd have leapt at the first advertising deal offered to me almost a year ago for an upmarket butter brand, and all the 50 or so since then. I didn't. Am I guilty of selling out? Hardly."

Could this be the origins of her hatred of butter? She once turned down a collab with an 'upmarket butter brand' which could have launched her into the big time (or a lifetime of Princess Di jumpers) and now, filled with regret, she punishes herself by only using lard?

• Haha
Reactions: 63
I have the fast and fresh book and have cooked quite a lot. £1 is a little bit of a cheat as some of the dishes need more veg or carbs to make a meal, it's easy ,generally used the same ingredients across different recipes so no leftovers and crucially good portion sizes and not all herbs and spices the same.
Kids love the peri peri burger
Brilliant, thank you. Peri peri burgers would go down very well here!

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.