Jack Monroe #150 Haven’t you got peas to discuss?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So is one of those soups kidney bean, potato, chilli and tinned pineapple?

this reminds me of when I was a child locking myself into the bathroom and mixing various shampoo and cosmetics and shower gel all together in the sink and making a right mess.....only with food.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Jack was a regular contributor to the Southend Echo and local rags are notorious for sad face tit articles.
No one was having 'yard sales' then.
And, of course, her family and their friends wouldn't read the local paper to know that she was so skint that she had to sell everything.

What a load of total sharn.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
It's really quite the projection on her part, and tells us more about her attitude to single mothers than it does about anyone else's.
Let's not forget this gem from Potatoes:

My brother was in the RAF last time we spoke, a couple of Christmases ago, when he described Iain Duncan Smith as the best thing to happen to this country and told me I had chosen to have a baby outside of marriage so deserved everything I got. It’s fair to describe us as ‘estranged’ these days.

She's a magnet for them!
I think Veronicaaa is bob on about the projecting, in which case I can believe her brother (and him alone) said it to her. It has never sounded like they get on, one bit of consistency she has, and he had the same upbringing as her to have that attitude.

Reactions: 34
The Grandfather of the Cabal on Urban 75 is the gift that keeps on giving. Here, in a June 2013 Guardian article reposted on her blog, Jack says this:

“I had a £27 grand a year job. I’ve not been brought up on benefits and a tracksuit watching Jeremy Kyle. I’m a middle class, well educated young woman who fell a bit by the way side. You think it doesn’t happen to normal people, and you think we are all scumbags, eating burgers and watching day time TV. It can happen to anyone.”

No wonder she deleted her blog. Our Grandfather (who hopefully isn't DEAD) is right: she really does see herself as the deserving poor, and the working class as worthless stupid scroungers.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 101
My other problem with stuff like homemade bath salts or whatever Jack is talking about is that it completely avoids the most costly thing for people experiencing poverty - time. Jack has all the time in the world because they do duck all every day, but when you're working two jobs and have children to look after, you are not spending time making homemade hummus or bath bombs or whatever because your time is precious and buying them is so much cheaper when you take convenience and time into consideration.
Exactly! If I want to escape the world for half an hour in the bath, I don't faff about with slow-cookers and massive Robinsons' squash containers - that would just add to most peoples' stress and ensure some serious washing-up afterwards. Easier to get some cheapo bath stuff, and gives you more time to relax...

Does she think she grew up in Regency high society? I grew up as a borderline urchin, me and all of my friends were out from morning to till night in the 80s. In central London. From very young. Bigger kids would keep an eye on little ones, random neighbours, siblings, mates’ siblings, mates’ cousins, and we were always pooling money to buy crap from the sweet shop and little ones would tag along. Never have I ever: been called a slut by a passer-by. Literally what the duck. No. She grew up in a much quieter area, the randoms would have known they were foster kids. She talks absolute tit. She looks quite young as it is. Would these abusive randoms have really thought an 11 year old was a parent?
The only people who would use such language to refer to people from poorer backgrounds are entitled, wealthy/well-off pricks who think they know everything about the poor because they had to use a food bank once :sick:

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 59
Also noted in the link I just posted is that she was referred to the foodbank "6 months ago" - that would be December 2012. At the same time she shot to fame. And she's trying to tell us that her parents didn't already know?

She already had a weekly newspaper column then and her photography and crafting business. It was February 2013 that she got her big proper journalist job. She can't have been using the foodbank for very long.

She also says this, which I sincerely hope is a whopping great lie:

“I was attending a group for the single mums on a Wednesday, and only went for the free lunch. One of the ladies noticed that me and my son always had seconds and thirds. She asked me if I was ok but I lied and told her I was fine. Because that’s the trouble, when you have got your collar bone jutting out of the two jumpers you wear to keep yourself warm, your cheekbones poking out and your son’s an absolute state: you tell everyone you’re fine, because you don’t want him taken into care.”

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 73
Joining in with the grapefruit truthing, but didn’t she put grapefruit in that Christmas prawn cocktail abomination for The Express?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
I find it really interesting that she always tells her fairytales in second-person. It's she can't commit to saying, "I did this", "I did that", "this happened to me".

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I find it really interesting that she always tells her fairytales in second-person. It's she can't commit to saying, "I did this", "I did that", "this happened to me".
This is interesting. I live for this kind of stuff. Seems like a real "tell".

So is one of those soups kidney bean, potato, chilli and tinned pineapple?

this reminds me of when I was a child locking myself into the bathroom and mixing various shampoo and cosmetics and shower gel all together in the sink and making a right mess.....only with food.
Yep. George's Marvellous Medicine style.

Reactions: 41
I know posts like this aren't allowed but this thread is on fire today. I am so here for the righteous fury and the forensic dissection of Jack's tissue of lies and deception.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
But they're not really home made are they? Melting soap in water is a very old thing to do, if you grate it and melt it with less water you make soap jelly that you use to get collars and cuffs clean on washday, or that's what my book of household tips from the 1930s tells me to do.

Coming up, jack revives the mangle
The homemade bubble bath is giving me real vibes of a child making special ‘potions’ or perfumes out of random tit.

Would still rather drink the bubble bath than eat her food though.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Also noted in the link I just posted is that she was referred to the foodbank "6 months ago" - that would be December 2012. At the same time she shot to fame. And she's trying to tell us that her parents didn't already know?

She already had a weekly newspaper column then and her photography and crafting business. It was February 2013 that she got her big proper journalist job. She can't have been using the foodbank for very long.

“I was attending a group for the single mums on a Wednesday, and only went for the free lunch. One of the ladies noticed that me and my son always had seconds and thirds. She asked me if I was ok but I lied and told her I was fine. Because that’s the trouble, when you have got your collar bone jutting out of the two jumpers you wear to keep yourself warm, your cheekbones poking out and your son’s an absolute state: you tell everyone you’re fine, because you don’t want him taken into care.”
Shes a bleeping disgrace. I dont believe the weight loss/SB being a state. Theres enough people around that would have clocked that. To lie about this tit. Scumbag.

Reactions: 51
Does she think she grew up in Regency high society? I grew up as a borderline urchin, me and all of my friends were out from morning to till night in the 80s. In central London. From very young. Bigger kids would keep an eye on little ones, random neighbours, siblings, mates’ siblings, mates’ cousins, and we were always pooling money to buy crap from the sweet shop and little ones would tag along. Never have I ever: been called a slut by a passer-by. Literally what the duck. No. She grew up in a much quieter area, the randoms would have known they were foster kids. She talks absolute tit. She looks quite young as it is. Would these abusive randoms have really thought an 11 year old was a parent?
I used to do a paper route and quite often took my twin neice and nephew along in the pram, because I wanted to.

No one said a word to me, a lady did give me some apples from her orchard once, perhaps she thought I was a slut that needed some. I was about 13 at the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 55
She’ll be making her own scents soon, aka swishing rose petals around in a bowl of water à la 1993.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58

Pic in this from December 2012. Ss for future.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 21
I dislike her £20 shop so much because I know that as a family of four we were living very frugally a few years ago (not for poverty reasons, but to save) and still spent around £65-70 per week. That included everything (toilet roll, soap, salt and pepper, herbs, and all the other things she leaves off her shop). There's no way we could have done it for less AND eaten a healthy, varied diet that adequately covered both calories and nutrients.
Thank you for this!!!! This is exactly us right now and despite knowing the bullshit with the £20 - how much is missed, I still find myself thinking I should do better right now than our £60-75 shop, depending on whether its a top up of washing stuff or bin bags and whatever that week. The bulk of our shop though is snacks for the small sunshines who seem to be in a constant growth spurt and fresh fruit and veg. Thanks for making me feel less tit

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.