Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Oh, you fucking prick - you PROVED that they didn't need to spend as much on just providing a lunch for a single child for five days.

YOU GAVE THEM the evidence needed to be able to say that thirty quid was too much (even if that 'less than a fiver' box actually worked out around a tenner).

YOU TOLD EVERYBODY that you could feed three people, three meals a day for an entire week for a tenner less than the vouchers.

YOU ARE THE REASON WHY the Government is only giving schools an extra £3.50 per child to make up the boxes.

YOU DID THIS.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 147

Flumps

VIP Member
I know this ship will have probably sailed by the time I catch up but....

I used to make cakes professionally. Let’s break this down, umm, forensically, shall we?

I cannot, like others, find a 425g tin of custard for sale online. I could find old references to a 425g tin from Asda so seems reasonable to assume could be the tin used here, though I am not sure Asda really counts as a local convenience store. But, <shrug>, it seems that as a rule our friend Jack doesn’t like to shop elsewhere.

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/viewitem.php?tablename=tinned_sweet&id=00030

I can’t find it on sale now. I wonder if they’ve switched from tinned custard to tetrapak custard, as the ambient (sorry, I work in food industry so doesn’t seem a weird word to me) products I can find are all tetrapak now.

I’m going to use the ingredients from one of those anyway. Listed here:

Reconstituted Skimmed Milk, Reconstituted Buttermilk, Water, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Palm Oil, Milk Proteins, Coconut Oil, Flavouring, Stabiliser (Triphosphates), Colours (Annatto, Curcumin)

Mmmmmmm, delicious Triphosphates. Anyway, onward.

It may be that there was, once upon a time, back in the olden times of 2019 (when Tin Can Cook was published) a 375g bag of vanilla cake mix available. Indeed maybe there still is, but I can’t find one. I can find a rather posh salted caramel one at that weight that makes 6 cupcakes (so I assume probably includes icing) and a Dr Oetker lemon drizzle traybake one (again + icing). Like I say, such a thing may exist, but it seems not to be the most readily available size. That seems to be 400g.

For this analysis, I’m going to take the Asda 400g Vanilla Cake Mix as my standard. Seems reasonable right? Ingredients here:

Fortified Wheat Flour [Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin (B3), Thiamin (B1)], Sugar, Palm Oil, Dried Glucose Syrup, Raising Agents (Potassium Carbonates, Glucono-Delta-Lactone, Calcium Phosphates), Rapeseed Oil, Flavouring, Emulsifiers (Lactic Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Propane-1, 2-Diol Esters of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Skimmed Milk Powder

Ah, with these Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, you’re really spoiling us.

Ok, so I am being a bit of a dick. I love me a bit of ready made custard, and I eat all kinds of crap from time to time, but this isn’t exactly flour, sugar, butter, eggs territory.

Let’s consider that. Cake mixes generally are just a mix of flour, sugar, fat and stabilisers/preservatives/flavourings. All they are doing is turning the fat into a dry ingredient (mmm, dry fat) and boxing it all up. Most require you to add eggs and some sort of liquid (generally water or milk) to get the wet/dry ratio right.

So, I can see the theory, custard is eggs and milk essentially, why wouldn’t it work?

Well, several reasons.

One, as you can see, tinned custard isn’t made with eggs. However, let’s let that slide, it’s still wet, if a little thick (doesn't this all sound delicious) it’s got the vague flavour profile you’re looking for.

Two, adding eggs and beating them in adds something else too. Air. This is crucial to baking, even with raising agents, you need some air in there somehow. It’s why vegan cakes can be hard to make light, because you’ve got to do some heavy (hah) lifting with non-egg based subs. Custard is not a light thing. It will not add air.

Three. Other stuff. Mostly sugar. I note that JM says this makes a very sweet cake. I bet it fucking does. Packet cake mix is super sweet anyway, compared to homemade cake, and 10% of that custard is sugar too. Tell you what it’s missing though – more little bursts of random super sweetness – that must be where the sultanas come in.

So, yes, I daresay this, umm, creation is heavy and dense ‘by nature’, or rather by ‘factory production’, but is it cake? I mean, is it? Nope. It’s a lump of sweet stuff, made with something approaching ingredients that you would find in cake. I reckon the clue is in the fact that it needs to be stone cold before you can handle it. Like it has to set. Cake doesn’t, um, set.

TBH, if you have a sweet, sweet tooth and a taste for that sort of shop produced taste (and sometimes I do, bring me a Mr Kipling fondant fancy and I’ll likely bite your hand off), and aren’t too worried about how heavily something sits in your stomach, it’s probably, broadly speaking, edible.

However, looking at the price of cake mix, and the effort involved, I think I’d rather buy a Jamaican Ginger Cake or Lyles Golden Syrup cake from the ‘convenience store’ and some custard and have a nice time with that. You can get my tips for that special and secret ‘recipe’ and others in my new book ‘Chucking Things Together In A Bowl’, coming out just as soon as I get round to writing it, though not yet, because I’M BUSY.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 104

Oofadoofa

VIP Member
Squig keeps replying. Hope SB still gets his story in bed...
So to be clear: Monroe lifted a story from someone else's timeline, plagiarised the point she was making but didn't credit her, then warned 'the media' not to muscle in on *her own* hard work without her (Monroe's) involvement.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 104

Ellabella

VIP Member
The squiggles blowing smoke up her arse about her interior design skills. Just shut the fuck up you cretins! She doesn't have an eye for interiors, unless your aesthetic is "care home via the jumble sale crammed full of 10 of each item".

I mean, dear God what is this?
Screenshot_20210110-201930.png

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 101

Pocahontas

VIP Member
Congratulations to @Walkdengirl for the words and @waffle maker for the nomination! 🎉 A joint thread title effort. Your prize: a baggy each of the scrap stock.

Recap of thread #129

1. She was so happy and proud about Thunderclap.
  2. Earworm Jack woz ere.
  3. Plant Jack was ‘too shy’ to contact James Wong.
  4. Her vegan pastitsio was what Linda M would have wanted (to insulate her loft with). What about the blue plastic ..?
  5. Her ‘frustrated, autistic head’ needs help with discerning when evening time starts. Another one of her thrilling pollz.
  6. Politics Jack says you have to impeach Trump because she was expelled for stealing a scalpel.
  7. She hid being expelled from her parents. Hmm.
  8. She could have been a teacher, you know.
  9. She dusted off one of her favourite stories about the time she got some ‘household name respected news editors and reporters and journalists’ telt at a dinner party.
  10. The Unbearable Lightness of Jack.
  11. She ate three sandwiches outside of meal times.
  12. She cleaned her kitchen. I repeat, she cleaned her kitchen.
  13. @appleskin is the toaster truther.
  14. Salt and vinegar leeks for breakfast, anyone?
  15. Her sense of taste is still in the recovery period.
  16. Scrappy dappy stock.
  17. [*]
    For new joiners to the thread, here is @Passive_Aggressive_Lemon ‘s ‘Jack for Dummies’ post (edited to include updated info):

Thought it might be useful for new followers to have a post at the start of each thread with some info.
    Limegoss article about Jack versus Jamie Oliver : https://limegoss.com/jack-monroe-jamie-oliver/

Thread #31 is the infamous one in which Jack turns up to talk to us directly. She makes her appearance on p. 17.

For anyone wanting to relive the glory days of her two-week stint on Daily Kitchen Live (DKL), have a grunk a through threads 2-9.

*** JACKISMS ***

Jack’s most oft-used reply to questions on recipe substitutions:

Yes, absolutely x

Some other favourite Jack quotes:

‘Babe, same’
    ‘I did a chaos’
    ‘My maverick brain’
    ‘My sad little face’
    ‘I’m BUSY’
    ‘I HOOTED / I am FIZZING’
    ‘I laughed up a lung’

** NEW **
    ‘Literally hella embarrassed AF’ about ‘Brexit and flip-flopping Covid flippancy’ and she ‘didn’t even vote for it’.

She likes to describe herself as ‘puppyishly honest and naively enthusiastic’

As of late November 2020, Jack conceded she is not poor, but living to a budget as she is saving for a forever home for her and SB.

One of Jack’s followers once referred to Tattlers as sad hausfraus and Jack herself has likened us to a cabal. Therefore we have become the Cabal of Hausfraus™️. She also recently referred to us as ‘gossip mavens’ (so, we are gossip trusted experts). ** Recent additions to her terms of endearment for Tattle: conspiracy wankers, obsessive groups of completely unhinged bullies, bullying ninnies, and malign, vicious bullies **

To ‘GrunkaLunka’ your way through a thread means to catch up on posts. Named after a member who rather epically caught up on many threads in a short period of time (and is also a fearless pioneer of the space-time continuum. She really was here both Now and Then).

Jack once threatened to use her Liam Neeson skills to TRIANGULATE our whereabouts in order to intimidate us, so that’s what we mean by that. * She may also threaten to take us to court - do not be afraid, this is not the first time and it won’t be the last. *

Jack once sideboard modelled a Vivienne Westwood dress, seeming to infer that it’s what Viv would have wanted (as if she were dead), and then got snippy when corrected otherwise. There may be some ‘RIP Viv’ jokes (she is, of course, NOT dead)

We sometimes joke about being on Vladimir Putin’s bitcoin payroll list for being evil trolls.

During her stint on Daily Kitchen Live, Jack produced a godawful looking lasagne, with a thin white sauce that never thickened up, just disappeared. It was widely likened to ‘horse spunk’ - there may be some horse ‘spirit’ lasagne jokes.

Her last-uttered line to Matt Tebutt on DKL was: ‘Thank you so Matt much, Matt’, which made us all HOOT.

Jack ended a tweet that listed her (not unimpressive) four-and-a-half GCSE results (A*, A, B, B, C) with: ‘Now fuck off’. We sometimes like to use this in our own posts for comedic effect. We are NOT telling other fraus to fuck off, simply paying homage to Jack’s own genteel humour.

*Back in the mists of time, one funny frau used a Jimmy Nail ‘She’s Lying’ picture to illustrate their thoughts on one of Jack’s latest tales. @Alpha Beta thought it was Novak Djokovic, the cabal hooted and Novak Nail was born. You may see reference to Jimmy Nail, Novak Djokovic, or the combination of both: Novak Nail. All demonstrate that she’s lying.*

Also:
    • She grew up in a 5-bed (mortgaged/owned) house
    • She got a £4.5k Omega watch for her 21st birthday
    • Her dad's a fucking LANDLORD (an oldy, but a goody)
    • Jack and Louisa are no longer in a relationship - in Jack’s words: ‘She [Louisa] left’.
    • ** NEW ** However, during Lockdown 2 (November 2020), a bubble buddy, ‘buddle’ (BB) came to stay with Jack. BB is pescatarian, cycles 200 miles a week, and works in London. Jack is teaching her to cook, while also using her as a figure of gentle ridicule. She cannot cook, she cannot iron, she cannot clean the television properly, she left the hose out and it got eaten by a fox, and she doesn’t know the difference between wet and dry ingredients.
    • Her record for staying off Twitter since the start of these threads is 114 hours and 47 minutes.
    • She is 90% vegan. The other 10% likes to nom nom on Five Guys burger and discounted chicken slices.
    • During her appearance on DKL, she was asked why some mince has a higher fat content. ‘It just does.’
    • The information held on her by Companies House has her year of birth WRONG. She was born in 1988, not 1978.
    • She recently claimed she found her Burberry scarf in a muddy puddle.
    [*]
    Use the pink link tab at the top of the thread to find Jack’s Tattle Wiki page, where you will find all episodes of Daily Kitchen Live.

We are terrible for going off on tangents and using too many gifs, so there is another thread where we don’t discuss JM but instead talk about biscuits and stuff. For good light relief when JM is doing too much chaos, come to the Food & Drink threads in Off Topic.

• Lastly, but importantly, when submitting ideas for the next thread title, please use the words ‘thread title’, as it makes it easier to search. Just using the number won’t be enough. We also can’t have swears in the title, and try to hold off until around p. 40 for your suggestions, if possible. ThankYOU.
    [*][*]

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 99

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
That tweet about a wine substitute for risotto is so embarrassing! First of all, Chris Addison had already had replies from Nigella and Angela Hartnett and had said he was going to do it the Angela Hartnett way (which is just to leave the wine out). Second of all, why does she seem to think that it's a normal thing to make a risotto with a red wine base? Nobody does this! Third of all, Jack's tweet was completely ignored by Addison - he hasn't even faved it - and yet she retweets it as though she's saved the day. Embarrazzing!

• Haha
Reactions: 97

Harrybosch

VIP Member
I mean, she even has the non-existent toaster on full view!

Pathological! (I’m not a doctor, M’lud, just guessing)

That space where the flowers are is where her old fridge was. It will accommodate any standard 60cm width fridge or fridge freezer. Why is her fridge in the hall again? Oh, yes, right, it's because she chose to buy a £3,000 double door giant smeg to keep food for a two-person household.

Jack is neither poor nor an eco warrior.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 96

Oofadoofa

VIP Member
Marcus Rashford has qt-ed OG squiggle's tweet 😲

Jack needs to back off and let those affected speak for themselves.
Fuck me, she's gonna be apoplectic - he's only gone and stolen her thunder(clap) AGAIN, and credited the person who deserves crediting, too! What a bastard - he's got shit loads more engagement and now, of course, any story will be Rashford focused and not Monroe focused. Gutted I tell ya, absolutely gutted.

And advice for Monroe - Perhaps she should consider confronting this little problem when addressing the media in the future. Something like: "Hiya! please don't send this to Rashford. Cheers.."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 94