Jack Monroe #117 Exit through the grift slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Imagine being a thrifty shades of shite sub and thinking 'Jack must be so swamped what with her numerous webisode appearances and poorly edited fascist newspaper articles' and then seeing that bizarrely knitted nonstrosity on your Twitter.

Oh she's busy alright, too busy for you plebs.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I have a friend who last year was pregnant and suffered blood clots in her legs (DVT)
Thankfully both she and her baby are fine, but when she was in hospital she took up knitting as a hobby.
She hadn't done it before so can only do squares. She just had piles of squares and didn't really know what to do with them until she saw a woman on Twitter who decided to knit a scarf by doing one row every day.
Each day is knitted in a colour depending on the weather/temperature.
My friend took inspiration from this and has made a really lovely blanket using the red to blue colour scheme according to the weather.
Jack's squares are just tit in comparison
That is a lovely idea. Knitting is very calming and therapeutic too. It kept me sane during the NICU months with my LO. Your friend's technique reminds me of the train delay scarf that was created by a real Frau.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Iā€™m scared we are approaching homemade clothes (for SB)
She wonā€™t feed him decent food (see bollock and eyelid sausages) but will no doubt try to fashion him clothes knitted from the pubes of an extinct Central American tribe, ā€˜giftedā€™ to her by a Mayan elder, who was impressed by her body of work.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I mentioned Bethany Black a few posts ago. She features on the National Autistic Society website. I wonder if the NAS are aware of Jackā€™s work?
I saw Bethany black live, oooh must be 11-12 years back now, in a small function room behind a pub. She was brilliant! Iā€™ve never known anyone else have heard of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
There are some fab Fanny Craddock party food recipes. Half a banana with a cherry on top, deviled egg Easter chicks...

Tanks Jack is the same as every other twitter Jack, please help me with something...not that answer, or that one, yes like that but not that actual thing, completed that mate. But the question was about a tank and so v v v boring.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
DKL was so, so, so bad yet she genuinely thinks she emerged from it a gifted TV presenter. I might be being mean here but I don't understand why we have to be forgiving of her terrible performance because of her autism. She should still be able to do the job properly that she was paid highly for. Chris Packham, for example, has Asperger's yet he is able to do his job well without constantly making excuses or underperforming.
Anthony Hopkins was diagnosed autistic late in life. I just watched David Byrne's American Utopia and he wrote about his own diagnosis in a book. There are many, many professional and gifted and charismatic autistic performers and presenters. It's not an excuse. If she has social anxiety, I hope she can find a way to cope. But what socially anxious person aspires to television presenting?

• Wow
Reactions: 31
I saw Bethany black live, oooh must be 11-12 years back now, in a small function room behind a pub. She was brilliant! Iā€™ve never known anyone else have heard of her.
sheā€™s Twitter famous. Has been in doctor who now, and a channel 4 drama- Cucumber (?)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I saw her live a few years ago as part of a mixed bill, never heard of her, and thought she was ace. As a cool kid I heard her RHLSTP pod interview and she was interesting (and a bit rambling, which if Iā€™m honest endeared her to me more that sheā€™s obviously overcome a lot of challenges from her many ā€œletters after her nameā€ type diagnosisā€™s) very interesting and funny. Kind of an antidote to old slopslinger too.

Edit- spelled RHLSTP wrong. Other cool kids will be laughing at me. Itā€™s Richard Herrings podcast.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I saw her live a few years ago as part of a mixed bill, never heard of her, and thought she was ace. As a cool kid I heard her RHLSP pod interview and she was interesting (and a bit rambling, which if Iā€™m honest endeared her to me more that sheā€™s obviously overcome a lot of challenges from her many ā€œletters after her nameā€ type diagnosisā€™s) very interesting and funny. Kind of an antidote to old slopslinger too.
RHLSP

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Agree with every word.. I don't want to look at Nigella's tits or her 'stock' cupboard.
Sorry to jump in (on a mini-grunka)! I love Nigella the person (she's charming and has had such a lot of sorrow in her life), and went through a phase of buying all her books, only to realise that :-

Nearly every dish I tried had syrup or sweet wine or sugar or summink that made it sweet - not to my taste. And some of the recipes are kinda basic. I don't use her books anymore except for the Christmas one, I'm a Slater fan these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I really hope this hasn't been shared but from what I know about Jack's knowledge of mince and rinsing, I am wondering if it was her teaching šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Totally agree.
She seemed to think it adorable that they all helped her so much, and interpreted it as how much they liked her, but presumably they had assumed at least a degree of competence when she was booked. Whenever the camera was on her she froze, wouldn't talk through her cooking processes (such as they were), then produced disgusting looking food.
Plus I am sure her twitter behaviour did not help. And her friend Ruby Tandoh calling Matt a prick. And Jack tweeting Mrs Matt. Cringe.

ETA - snap @MooBelle
I just saw Rubyā€™s Great British season and saw that she interviewed Jack. I know they are both from southend, but are they actually friends? Ruby seems pretty astute to me but Iā€™m not super familiar with her. It didnā€™t look to me like Ruby follows Jack on Instagram.

Not sure why she she called Matt a prick.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
CONFESSION: I have finally brought myself to watch the horse spunk lasagne clip for the first time ever. I was here back in March, I just couldnā€™t handle the cringe until now.

The way she said to Matt ā€œIā€™ll just put the rest of the mushrooms in, now youā€™ve STOPPED TALKINGā€ šŸ˜³

The way she started flapping, pointing and laughing to people off-camera, as she was annoyed that Matt was talking to the other guest and not asking her any questions šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Then, when the camera was back on her and she was assembling the last layer of lasagne... she said nothing. Utter silence and dead air until Matt realised heā€™d have to keep the chatter going šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Finally, the shaking hands, panicked eyes and frantic running back and forth for utensils. My heart was pounding with second hand anxiety. At once point she even appeared to be putting things in the sink, because she didnā€™t know what else to do.

The way she was flapping about in that kitchen on DKL didn't really spell 'professional food person'.

Compared with for example Nadia form Bake Off who now has a tv and book career from her first appearance on tv in 2015.
Nadiyaā€™s manner is so friendly, relaxed and calm. Jack left me feeling like I needed a shot of brandy to settle my nerves.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
on what planet is this an appetising bowl of food

if you're making a spicy asian style broth surely the joy is in all the fresh and flavourful toppings like spring onions or chillies or kimchi or coriander or sesame seeds or ANYTHING other than floating chunks of raw onion

Attachments

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
Jack's made it into the Scottish Local Retailer mag.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.