Jack Monroe #114 i, slopbot

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t consider bleep (or dick, or any invocation of genitalia for that matter) a gendered insult, tbh. IRL I’m always a bit wary of people who are too quick to throw out ‘Karen’ as a way of making women’s complaints seem petty but I think where Jack is concerned with her grassing on LNER and Hermes employees she really does embody Karenhood.
I discovered on a trip to North America they get very upset with the C Bomb!
Like really offended.
Where here (Ireland) and the UK it doesn't seem to be SO offensive.
It's almost a term of endearment in my family!
Maybe they were American?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I noticed on the latest Secret Celeb thread there was talk of Elliott Page and deadnaming and someone asked a poster if they gave similar admonishment to people in the JM threads every time someone calls her a bleep or any of the other frequent insults said about her. I am just assuming it’s about here but it kinda took me aback because I genuinely don’t think this is a nasty thread. But maybe it’s all about perception and personal levels of tolerance to stuff. I don’t know if the person has contributed here and maybe they’re a fan but I’ve seen worse on other threads (personally I don’t find swearing offensive but when kids are being commented on (e.g if there’s something wrong with them etc) I’m less impressed)
That was the thread I ventured on to. It was just such a stark contrast to the respectful discussions that I see here around gender etc. I’ve been here since thread 1 and have seen some nasty chat but that was nipped in the bud very quickly and it was an outlier.

I just feel that there are many people in this thread that I would happily sit down and natter with IRL. Who also are open to hearing other points of view etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I noticed on the latest Secret Celeb thread there was talk of Elliott Page and deadnaming and someone asked a poster if they gave similar admonishment to people in the JM threads every time someone calls her a bleep or any of the other frequent insults said about her. I am just assuming it’s about here but it kinda took me aback because I genuinely don’t think this is a nasty thread. But maybe it’s all about perception and personal levels of tolerance to stuff. I don’t know if the person has contributed here and maybe they’re a fan but I’ve seen worse on other threads (personally I don’t find swearing offensive but when kids are being commented on (e.g if there’s something wrong with them etc) I’m less impressed)
Posters frequent different threads; it’s quite interesting sometimes when you come across the same people posting in different environments to this thread, can be quite an eye opener. I rightly got a warning for calling Jack a bleep repetitively and nastily and tbh I can use my words to describe her without having to resort to that so I took it on the chin.

edit- removed erroneous extra ‘that’

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
My sister found out that witch was really offensive in Spain when she was messing about with her Spanish friend, yet they drop the c bomb all the time.

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Posters frequent different threads; it’s quite interesting sometimes when you come across the same people posting in different environments to this thread, can be quite an eye opener. I rightly got a warning for calling Jack a bleep repetitively and nastily and tbh I can use my words to describe her without that having to resort to that so I took it on the chin.
No way! I'm surprised I didnt get one for it as well. Love throwing out a bleep. Great word tbh.

Agree about eye openers. I grimace at some stuff.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I don’t consider bleep (or dick, or any invocation of genitalia for that matter) a gendered insult, tbh. IRL I’m always a bit wary of people who are too quick to throw out ‘Karen’ as a way of making women’s complaints seem petty but I think where Jack is concerned with her grassing on LNER and Hermes employees she really does embody Karenhood.
For me a Karen isn't just a woman with a complaint but is one of those huffy permaragers who WILL find something to complain about regardless of reality so even when there is nothing or only something very trivial to complain about they'll kick off. There's also an element getting a kick out of having power over others and kind of rubbing their face in your higher status. "Are you familiar with my body of work?". I feel very sorry for such people, though usually not half as sorry as I do for the people on the receiving end.

Reactions: 25
I wonder, whether we could produce our own book (or blog) of budget recipes and money saving ideas - a kind of AntiJaxxx ??? Slopbot merch and Cotswold Co ads would be mandatory of course!
Tip jar rattling with all proceeds going to charity...

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Seriously thought this was another of Jack's recipes at first glance. Please don't copy this Jack!View attachment 335915
Don't go giving her ideas! 🙄 😉

I wonder, whether we could produce our own book (or blog) of budget recipes and money saving ideas - a kind of AntiJaxxx ??? Slopbot merch and Cotswold Co ads would be mandatory of course!
Tip jar rattling with all proceeds going to charity...
I like this idea. A lot. I think I can get my hands on a recipe template, so all arrive in an identical and print friendly format. Am happy to volunteer for proof reading.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Posters frequent different threads; it’s quite interesting sometimes when you come across the same people posting in different environments to this thread, can be quite an eye opener. I rightly got a warning for calling Jack a bleep repetitively and nastily and tbh I can use my words to describe her without having to resort to that so I took it on the chin.

edit- removed erroneous extra ‘that’
Yes definitely - agree with coming across eye-opening posts in other threads, for sure.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I stay here or in Food and Drink.. The rest of Tattle I don't understand or really want to if I'm honest.

Reactions: 30
I really like the idea of us doing an actual £20 shop and making wholesome, nourishing meals out of it!
I’d love to be able to stick to a budget but I’m terrible with money and struggle to get my weekly shop under £50 for the two of us, never mind £20!!

Also, on an unrelated ADHD note, my son has ADHD and it often makes life difficult for him. I’ve always maintained since he got his diagnosis, the ADHD might be the REASON behaviour occurs but it isn’t an EXCUSE for it. I definitely have traits of both ADHD and ASD (and RA is hereditary in my family - am I JM?!) a lot of how Jack writes about herself, she could easily be describing me. I learned a few years ago that I cannot run my own business and I also cannot sell on eBay. As an adult, you need to recognise and accept your limitations.

Reading about JM since the Scotsman article, it seems that being a budget blogger and anti-poverty advocate has really become her identity. I can’t help but wonder “who was Jack before she had Jonny?”

• Heart
Reactions: 35
bleep is a woman-only insult in the US (and very strong, but Americans are, on the whole, more sensitive to swearing), but I feel like in other English-speaking countries it's more commonly used to refer to men.

I generally find swear words a very interesting area linguistically (in Spanish too there are some countries where words are very offensive, and others where they're a regular part of daily conversation).

My sister found out that witch was really offensive in Spain when she was messing about with her Spanish friend, yet they drop the c bomb all the time.
Coño isn't really bleep though, despite its literal meaning - you can't call someone a coño, you'd use it for emphasis like we'd use bleeping. Mothers will even say it to young children when they're exasperated, which is wild if you're translating literally ("hurry up, you bleep" to a 4-year-old is hard to imagine even in Australia).

Similarly, puta isn't witch, it's bleep, and it's incredibly difficult to define witch accurately to Spanish or Portuguese speakers - there are words that are somewhat similar, but no perfect fit. And literally everyone has been told that witch means prostitute, so they have to unlearn that first...plus it's super offensive to call someone a puta but less offensive as an adjective, again akin to bleeping in English: when faced with a bowl of slop you might say "Pero por qué no has cocinado bién las putas cebollas?" (but why didn't you cook the bleeping onions properly?)

All a bit off topic, but trying to translate and teach swear words is actually a really difficult and delicate part of linguistics. I find it fascinating, but it can take a lot of work!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
It was me who asked someone not to use his deadname, the people on that thread did not appreciate this input haha. I’m never commenting on that thread again, there’s a lot of fatphobia and transphobia over there.

One thing I like about these threads is that we can call each out without it being a whole drama. Like I’ve seen people use Jack’s deadname or comment irrelevantly on her body and then apologise after being politely called out.

Calling JM a bleep doesn’t contribute to a wider culture of oppression i.e. transphobia. So yep, I’ll call her by whatever name she prefers and then also call her a bleep.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
The butter chat has taken me back to 1997. One of my first food tech lessons was to make a sandwich.
We didn’t have butter at home. We were comfortable but my parents were very cautious with money. Anyway my mum didn’t want people to know we used margarine (no idea why as I went to a rough comprehensive and used to get bullied for being perceived as posh 😂) so she made me take in butter. Had no idea I needed to soften it first and it ripped my bread (farmhouse thick slice instead of our usual tesco value) to shreds 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I really like the idea of us doing an actual £20 shop and making wholesome, nourishing meals out of it!
we wouldn’t be able to, it’s not possible that’s the problem with it

I don’t think we all have to do things Jack does but better; like raise money for charity, either. As @traumatised sideboard said there are issues like privacy and gathering money together from groups online that would just be more hassle than it’s worth plus am unsure but think it would go against tattle rules, lovely as the intention is

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Don't go giving her ideas! 🙄 😉

I like this idea. A lot. I think I can get my hands on a recipe template, so all arrive in an identical and print friendly format. Am happy to volunteer for proof reading.
I’d be really interested in contributing to something like this, there’s been so much good, honest food advice on these threads anyway - real money saving recipes and tips. Am sure we could collectively pull something together.

Reactions: 6
I discovered on a trip to North America they get very upset with the C Bomb!
Like really offended.
Where here (Ireland) and the UK it doesn't seem to be SO offensive.
It's almost a term of endearment in my family!
Maybe they were American?
It always tickles me that in the US fanny means bum. Fannypack = Bumbag etc.

Weirdly she doesn’t seem that proud of her ends, whenever she’s spoken about where she’s lived it’s always how she’s ~moved back as if she hasn’t spent the majority of her life there / was some worldly traveller instead of just the temporary live in gf of a west London millionaire who admitted to being scared of the tube? 🥴

Or because public transport is grotty or grubby or whatever she called it on that pointless lockdown list.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It always tickles me that in the US fanny means bum. Fannypack = Bumbag etc.

Or because public transport is grotty or grubby or whatever she called it on that pointless lockdown list.
We were like children in Canada.
Beaver this, beaver that, beaver whatever! Every single time we sniggered.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
bleep is a woman-only insult in the US (and very strong, but Americans are, on the whole, more sensitive to swearing), but I feel like in other English-speaking countries it's more commonly used to refer to men.

I generally find swear words a very interesting area linguistically (in Spanish too there are some countries where words are very offensive, and others where they're a regular part of daily conversation).

Coño isn't really bleep though, despite its literal meaning - you can't call someone a coño, you'd use it for emphasis like we'd use bleeping. Mothers will even say it to young children when they're exasperated, which is wild if you're translating literally ("hurry up, you bleep" to a 4-year-old is hard to imagine even in Australia).

Similarly, puta isn't witch, it's bleep, and it's incredibly difficult to define witch accurately to Spanish or Portuguese speakers - there are words that are somewhat similar, but no perfect fit. And literally everyone has been told that witch means prostitute, so they have to unlearn that first...plus it's super offensive to call someone a puta but less offensive as an adjective, again akin to bleeping in English: when faced with a bowl of slop you might say "Pero por qué no has cocinado bién las putas cebollas?" (but why didn't you cook the bleeping onions properly?)

All a bit off topic, but trying to translate and teach swear words is actually a really difficult and delicate part of linguistics. I find it fascinating, but it can take a lot of work!
In Australia, bleep seems to be a term of endearment - good bleep, funny bleep etc etc

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.