Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CosmicCreepers

Chatty Member
Kinda off topic but this show finally pushed me to tell my Dad that I'm lesbian after years of worrying how he would feel...turns out he is totally fine with it and not shocked...apparently he kinda knew anyway!! I just wanted to post this here as this show helped me get the courage to come out and be proud ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 70

Baconbutties

VIP Member
Think someone else said this too but I think it’s a show that will stay with you.
I’m thinking of the all the characters. Why them etc
I’m a sensitive person so don’t often watch shows like this cos I over think about it.
A day later and I'm still thinking about Colin.

• Sad
Reactions: 38

Scotblock

VIP Member
The way this programme has brought everyone together and openly talking about HIV/AIDS is just brill. My 20 year old son cannot believe Section 28 even got passed. I knew my auntie had been a barrier nurse and nursed AIDS patients and never thought that much about it. Two weeks ago I was speaking to my mum on the phone and she openly told me that my uncle had died due to complications of AIDS. Now I clearly remember my uncle coming home from offshore and never going back and suddenly him just fading away into oblivion. Things like not being with my grandpa picking him up from the heliport or not going to his flat down the beach, he just seemed to disappear. Then suddenly he died and there was a funeral then all his stuff was given away but no actual explanation. She said that my gran had heard about and watched It’s a Sin and called her weeping and said it was time to not be ashamed anymore. It just kills me that so many poor young boys lost their lives to something so stigmatised that they died alone or ashamed like lepers. And that so many families who loved and nursed their children to the end like mine did couldn’t just bury their dead in peace with dignity. This programme has touched so many people I don’t even think everyone in it will ever realise how much. Funnily enough my mum is from a Glaswegian Catholic family who always say “It’s a sin” to describe anything bad happening like if Mary at no 10 has a heart attack then it’s a sin. Or Tesco run out of teabags it’s a sin 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36

Vloggerfam

VIP Member
I think it’s great that even though Richie (olly) was obviously the main character. It’s Colin that stuck with most people. It shows you don’t have to be the life and soul of the party to be a good person and people to love you. Although I did love them all.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
I also think what was really sad about Colin was that you couldn't even call it a relationship or even a fun fling he had with the football shirt guy. He actually seemed bullying and very rough with Colin and just using him for his own gratification. Contrasting with all the funny, happy experiences Ritchie spoke about as he was dying.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Upintheair83

VIP Member
I absolutely loved this series. One of the most thought provoking and emotional things Iv ever watched. The script and acting was second to none.
I keep thinking of all the wonderful Collins of the world that we have lost, and all their mums who continue to miss them.
I think the contrast of the effervescent life that Ritchie led and his death in his suffocating childhood home was really poignant.
I also wondered if the relationship with his sister was highlighting how if he had stayed at home and repressed who he was that he would never have had such an amazing life, friendships or experiences.
On his death bed he is reminiscing how much fun he had and it was a very powerful and honest scene.
We see the sister always at home, miserable and bitter- seeing her brother go off and life his life. She adhered to her parents strict, narrow minded lifestyle and I think she resented Ritchie for it and was jealous of him.
I thought it was especially powerful how learning of his death she was mourning with his friends. 😞😞
Keeley Hawes was amazing and I felt it was a very honest yet brutal reflection of many mums reactions. The denial and the non acceptance that she didn’t support her son in the way he needed her to - and inevitably lost him and that she never really knew him was beautiful played out.
This show needs to win awards and should be a must watch for everyone. So many lessons can be learnt from this show and can hold a mirror up to us all in one way or another.
Fantastic.
Remembering all the amazing lives we have lost from AIDS- May they never be forgotten.
💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛💛
La!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 32

Bambix

I find it so sad that Colin was the one who could have been more open, his mum didn’t care if he was gay or not. She was just so happy he had a nice group of friends.

• Heart
  • Sad

Brianbadonde

I watched it all last night and this morning, just couldn't wait. Its some of the best TV I've seen in a very very long time.. Also never cried this much at anything. RTD is a ledgend ♥

• Heart
Watched the whole series yesterday 😰 it was equally amazing and heartbreaking. I was 18 when that advertisement was shown and even as a heterosexual it was a scary time. My now adult son is gay and I’m so happy attitudes have changed and he can be who he wants to be without fear of retribution. Russell T Davis is a master and Keeley Hawkes in those final scenes! 🏆

• Heart
Reactions: 30

LittleMy

VIP Member
Gloria 💔

When his family were burning everything, even his baby photos, my heart broke. It was like he didn’t exist to them anymore.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
Just finished the last episode. God, this was such an emotionally devasting series. I was so surprised at how eager I was to watch each episode given the harrowing subject matter, but I was so fully absorbed in it. I was looking forward to but also dreading every episode.

The moments that really got me the most 😭😭 where - SPOILERS -

- Jill sitting with the lonely patient in hospital at the end. Utterly heartbreaking.
- Richie's mum announcing he'd already died. I gasped out loud. I was fully expecting a final emotional reunion between him and Jill. It was really shocking to be robbed of that.
- Colin 💔💔💔 I had an uneasy feeling he would be the first of the main gang to get ill. Just the fact that his lifestyle was so at odds with the other boys. His final scenes were actually not only totally heartbreaking, but very disturbing. I would not be able to sit through them again.

Superb.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Thelmachops

VIP Member
I watched it all today and it is brilliant..upsetting but brilliant..

It reminds me of the This is England series, well acted and portrayed the issues of the time really well..

Sogdhitalley

VIP Member
I've just finished watching the lot and OMG 😭😭😭😭

I it doesn't win any awards then I'll be shocked!!
Bloody fantastic acting, well written and such an important subject.

• Heart

_100

I’ve watched this twice now, Gloria’s episode haunted me, especially at the end, burning every last memory of him, even his baby photos. The relationship between Ritchie and his sister was interesting as well, was that her crying with his friends in the B and B at the very end?

Every episode devastated me, made me feel empty and a little bit lost. I could never ever treat someone badly like that. If anyone here ever needs a Jill, I will be your Jill. No judgements, just hugs and a whole lot of love.

• Heart

Prince fan 1999

VIP Member
I think I managed to just hold it together until the nurse was speaking about those dying alone and then Jill going to sit with a guy(Marcus?). So terribly sad that they were all alone 😢😢😢

• Sad
Reactions: 25

Eirawen

VIP Member
There are so mañy TV dramas on nowadays that I can't be bothered to watch beyond the first episode as they don't grip but this is different I will watch all of it. The little Welsh guy is so sweet in his suit and I really liked Mr Coltrane a kind and very funny man.

Reactions: 24

HockyRorror

VIP Member
Is this going to be a spoiler free thread for those watching weekly and not binge watching? Because I really don’t want to accidentally come across any spoilers as I’ve only watched the first episode.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The first episode ended on a very harsh note. Loved the music, the fashion, the setting. Loved when Roscoe’s family was sitting downstairs praying for him and then he came down in that’s outfit and said something like “I’m moving, and the post code is FUCK YOU” and the older woman burst out into hysterical laughing.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

TravellingPants

Chatty Member
Such a beautiful series and wonderful acting of complex characters. I found it hard to warm to Ritchie and found him very self-centred but his friendship with Jill was everything.

Colin’s decline was distressing to watch. I thought it was powerful how his ‘relationship’ with the son of his landlady was portrayed, very ambiguous as to whether he was consenting. His friendship with Mr Coltrane and his partner was also so lovely, I wasn’t expecting NPH’s role to be so brief!

Keeley Hawes was incredible as Ritchie’s mum and also such a complicated mess of things... she loved her son but didn’t really know him, so what she thought was best for him wasn’t. She wanted to spite Jill for keeping the truth from her but couldn’t see that really she was spiting Ritchie. I so thought that his sister lurking in the background was going to find a way to get her mum away and Jill and Roscoe in!

The music... SO GOOD. I binged it all and now going back taking my time.

• Heart
Reactions: 23