It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Watching this at the moment, it's devastating yet funny and joyful at the same time. I didn't fully realise that some Aids patients really suffered from senility/dementia-like symptoms, Colin's story has really stayed with me - thinking about how hard it must have been for their loved ones. He was such a loveable character, too. And how authoritarian the Welsh police and doctors were- terrifying. At least he had a loving mum and strong advocates in his friends.

Really interesting that in the early years those talking about the disease were treated as mad conspiracy theorists and to see how that slowly shifted. And it must have been so lonely for those patients who died in the early years of the epidemic.
I think that’s why Collin has stayed with so many people. His mum was amazing, he was her baby and that didn’t change for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I watched the final one last night and thought it was a masterpiece. The best thing I've watched in a long time and I think it will stay with me always. Colin's storyline absolutely broke me and the scene with Jill and Marcus at the end was so beautifully done and so so sad. I was a right mess by the time the final credits rolled and couldn't stop thinking about all the men who died alone and in shame. What a writer RTD is. I've just ordered my La! teeshirt as part of the proceeds goes to an AIDS charity and is endorsed by the great man himself.

Reactions: 23
There was a huge amount of panic and the TV continually played this awful advert and sent out leaflets to every household.
There was a huge amount of stigma attached in those days.

My parents had the leaflet in there magazine rack, I was around 6 at the time and it used to scare the heck out of me, I couldn’t even look at it!! Mr husband and I binged the lot in one go on Saturday night!! Sooooo good

I watched the final one last night and thought it was a masterpiece. The best thing I've watched in a long time and I think it will stay with me always. Colin's storyline absolutely broke me and the scene with Jill and Marcus at the end was so beautifully done and so so sad. I was a right mess by the time the final credits rolled and couldn't stop thinking about all the men who died alone and in shame. What a writer RTD is. I've just ordered my La! teeshirt as part of the proceeds goes to an AIDS charity and is endorsed by the great man himself.
I saw the tshirts, I'm going to order one as well :)

Reactions: 2
I’m watching for the third time, this time with my 20 year old daughter. I’m still blown away by the writing, acting and standard of this production. Each character is so beautifully written. An absolute masterpiece educating so many of us about a subject that was just adverts and pamphlets in the 80’s, yet so real and tragic for many.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Go to Russel's IG page (russelltdavies63 I think) and todays post is the t-shirt with a link

Reactions: 2
Im half way through episode 4 and I had to switch over. I can't handle knowing what's coming :(!

• Sad
Reactions: 1
This will surely win awards. Just finished. Devastating. I can’t believe this was only in the 80s.

Reactions: 8
Binge watched it at the weekend, heart breakingly brilliant. I loved Colin, his episode made me full on cry. I was born in 1982 so was too young to really understand the aids crisis, its so terrible how gay men were treated and scares me this was in my lifetime!

Reactions: 8
Another binge watcher here. I was a right mess at the end. I thought everyone played their part brilliantly. Colin was such a sweetheart 😭.
And I want a friend like Jill ❤

Reactions: 5
Another binge watcher here. I was a right mess at the end. I thought everyone played their part brilliantly. Colin was such a sweetheart 😭.
And I want a friend like Jill ❤
We all need a Jill in our lives & the fact she is based on a real person really got me. Colin was so sweet, I was devastated by his storyline.

Reactions: 10
Finished it tonight. It's so powerful, about shame, and how Ritchie wanted to resist that in death.

Had a naive hope that Ritchie would be one of those lucky ones who got the virus but stayed free of Aids, or who got the right treatment just in time. Gutted by the ending. What a charming, complex character played beautifully by Olly Alexander. That scene in the car with his mate made me really uncomfortable but he played it just right!

If anyone's seen Pride- there are some interesting parallels. Dominic West's character in Pride is based on Jonathan Blake, a man who was diagnosed with HIV very early on and is still alive and healthy today. Mark Ashton, the main character of the film, was an incredible activist lost far too soon to Aids.

Just finished the last episode. God, this was such an emotionally devasting series. I was so surprised at how eager I was to watch each episode given the harrowing subject matter, but I was so fully absorbed in it. I was looking forward to but also dreading every episode.

The moments that really got me the most 😭😭 where - SPOILERS -

- Jill sitting with the lonely patient in hospital at the end. Utterly heartbreaking.
- Richie's mum announcing he'd already died. I gasped out loud. I was fully expecting a final emotional reunion between him and Jill. It was really shocking to be robbed of that.
- Colin 💔💔💔 I had an uneasy feeling he would be the first of the main gang to get ill. Just the fact that his lifestyle was so at odds with the other boys. His final scenes were actually not only totally heartbreaking, but very disturbing. I would not be able to sit through them again.

Superb.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Just finished the last episode. God, this was such an emotionally devasting series. I was so surprised at how eager I was to watch each episode given the harrowing subject matter, but I was so fully absorbed in it. I was looking forward to but also dreading every episode.

The moments that really got me the most 😭😭 where - SPOILERS -

- Jill sitting with the lonely patient in hospital at the end. Utterly heartbreaking.
- Richie's mum announcing he'd already died. I gasped out loud. I was fully expecting a final emotional reunion between him and Jill. It was really shocking to be robbed of that.
- Colin 💔💔💔 I had an uneasy feeling he would be the first of the main gang to get ill. Just the fact that his lifestyle was so at odds with the other boys. His final scenes were actually not only totally heartbreaking, but very disturbing. I would not be able to sit through them again.

Superb.
I also gasped. I was so wanting them to have a final goodbye with Richie. So sad 😫😭💔

Reactions: 10
I also gasped. I was so wanting them to have a final goodbye with Richie. So sad 😫😭💔
Absolutely. I actually think it had even more emotional impact that he didn't have a final goodbye/death scene. That feeling of being cruelly robbed really hit hard.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Finished watching last night and still don’t feel like I’ve recovered! It was so brilliant but so heartbreaking, I can’t believe it all happened so recently too. I cried in every episode but the last 3 really got me. The demonstration scene especially, I was sobbing 😭

It definitely deserves to win awards!

Reactions: 6
Binge watched this tonight after the kids went to bed, not long finished it. Wow, I cried my eyes out (and I never do that at tv shows). Very hard-hitting but beautifully made. Think it will stay with me long after.

I was shocked that she finally met Jill only to say "he's dead" as if she was putting a knife through j ill's heart. That threw me!

• Sad
Reactions: 7