Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jackie Brown

VIP Member
I completely missed that it was up for Bafta's but not surprised to read it. Very surprised however to read that it didn't win anything!! My god, it's a masterpiece!

Along similar lines, has anyone watched Aids: The Unheard Tapes on iplayer? It's very good (if "good" is the right term for something so tragic) Really interesting account of that time, the gay community had it so rough.
Yes, I binged this on 'AIDS: The Unheard Tapes' iPlayer the other day. Just stunning, insightful and heart-breaking. I was wrecked after watching this, a definite must watch though.

There was a huge amount of panic and the TV continually played this awful advert and sent out leaflets to every household.
There was a huge amount of stigma attached in those days.

My parents had the leaflet in there magazine rack, I was around 6 at the time and it used to scare the heck out of me, I couldn’t even look at it!! Mr husband and I binged the lot in one go on Saturday night!! Sooooo good

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
I watched The Normal Heart tonight after seeing it recommended on here, I'm absolutely shattered emotionally. My heart breaks for how hard those people had to fight for anybody to pay attention. Matt Bomer was just... wow! Jim Parsons is someone i'm fast becoming a fan of despite never having liked TBBT, he really has range as an actor. I feel like i've been punched in the gut though, it's so unbelievably sad.
It’s a tough watch. The poor guy who dies and his mother has to take his body from the hospital as (if I remember rightly) the undertaker wouldn’t? I loved the scene where the male choir sang The Man I Love and all the couples were slow dancing. Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

laughing

VIP Member
This was so powerful to watch.

I keep telling my husband that he needs to watch it.

Can you watch it for free anywhere?

mcfeez

VIP Member
Nothing short of magnificent, loved it.

Has anyone seen the films The Normal Heart or Pride? Both address the HIV / AIDS crisis and are, in my opinion, both really well done and powerful.
I havent started "Its a Sin" yet but was just about to recommend The Normal Heart to people here! It destroys me. It's amazing but jeez, really tears you in two. The acting in it is amazing.