It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched QAF last week - I kind of enjoyed it but not as much as Cucumber or It's A Sin...I just found the majority of the characters really unlikeable? Like it was so hard to root for them at all. Not to mention the weird relationship with a schoolboy thing...I know it was a 'different time' but surely it wasn't that different!!
Stuart was rather unlikeable. I hated how he treated Vince who was so sweet 😒 and Nathan only being 15, bit dodge. I actually forgot that the age of consent for gay men used to be 21 😬

Reactions: 3
I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

Here is to a million more shows about LGBT history.

You should totally go to Pride! You have every reason to go, it’s such a fun, amazing, important time. My little middle England town held its first Pride in 2019. I’m a straight woman with kids. I’ve no idea what their future holds, but Pride shows them that they can be free to love whoever they choose.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

Here is to a million more shows about LGBT history.
As a mum of an lgbtq child it makes me sad that you feel like this, I'd hate my child to feel that they weren't worthy because of who they are attracted to. You are so worthy. Go to Pride and enjoy yourself.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I LOVE the US version of QAF. It’s so much better than the U.K. version 🙈 I’ve got the boxset & it’s top 3 fav ever shows. It’s multi-series as well, unlike it’s U.K. equivalent. I adore the relationship between Brian & Justin. It’s all kinds of wrong but ultimately, the ultimate playboy falling for the boy who loves him from the start.. with a fab supporting cast. They touch on AIDS here & there and there’s a central storyline with it as well. And there’s a real thread of friendship running through, not dissimilar to Its a Sin.

Also, Brian is dreamy.

Reactions: 2
Kinda off topic but this show finally pushed me to tell my Dad that I'm lesbian after years of worrying how he would feel...turns out he is totally fine with it and not shocked...apparently he kinda knew anyway!! I just wanted to post this here as this show helped me get the courage to come out and be proud ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Kinda off topic but this show finally pushed me to tell my Dad that I'm lesbian after years of worrying how he would feel...turns out he is totally fine with it and not shocked...apparently he kinda knew anyway!! I just wanted to post this here as this show helped me get the courage to come out and be proud ❤
Love this

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Last night I tried to watch the aftershow again... But nope I cannot cope listening to that presenters voice!

Shame as I want to watch it and see the content. Maybe I should mute and subtitles 🤣

You should totally go to Pride! You have every reason to go, it’s such a fun, amazing, important time. My little middle England town held its first Pride in 2019. I’m a straight woman with kids. I’ve no idea what their future holds, but Pride shows them that they can be free to love whoever they choose.
Absolutely - we go to the London Pride and it’s a wonderful, uplifting fun day. We are so grateful that our son is able to live openly as a gay man. I was once privileged to nurse an elderly gay man as he died and during a quiet night shift he told me about his life - he was an active campaigner when it was a prisonable offence to be gay and did serve time in prison. I was able to thank him because it’s due to his courage that my son can live the life he does! I’m proud of how much British society has changed in my lifetime.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I binged it over 2 nights last week. I don’t think I have ever cried over a series as much as I did it’s a sin. I’m still thinking about it now. I was born in 1987 and vaguely remember about the aids crisis. I am shocked gay people were treated this way - in hospital especially, I have been educating myself more over the last week, I am appalled over section 28 it’s just so sad 😞 I honestly had no idea.
I didn’t realise it was as big as it actually is, I only stumbled across it because I saw Olly Alexander was in it and I love him, years and years are my favourite band I’ve watched them live at a couple of festivals. I’ve told my brother to watch it , he’s living in Oz, he said everyone’s been talking about it. Best TV I’ve seen in a long time. Well done to all involved it is so important , as there is still a stigma out there 😞

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I've just watched episode 5. I've found most of it emotional but the last episode really hit me.

A fantastic program and everyone in it was amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I think my favourite scene was at the protest when Richie appears from nowhere on the policemans back to defend Jill. I spontaneously wept at the joy of that scene.
the scene on the peer was a punch to the stomach but I didn’t cry - I felt too angry with his mum.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The funeral of their friend was quite telling. How many not only died of AIDS and the families said they died if something else but their partners were banned from the funerals like they didn’t exist as they had no say or rights as a legal partner or husband then.

Reactions: 10
Can anyone recommend any good documentaries that look at the AIDS epidemic?
There was one about how AIDS and heroin affected poor communities in Edinburgh in the 80s. It has strong ties to the original (and brilliant) Trainspotting film because Irvine Welsh lived in the community and experienced it first hand. It’s a grim, powerful watch but incredibly interesting and humbling. Sorry I can’t remember the title but if you search ‘AIDS heroin Edinburgh Irvine Welsh 80s’ it might set you on the right path.

Reactions: 1
If you don’t already follow the pink palace on Instagram, they post photos from set and cast, and little snippets of the show. Today they posted photos of the pink palace.

Can anyone recommend any good documentaries that look at the AIDS epidemic?
A book not a documentary but 'And the band played on' is comprehensive and excellent from what I've read - not finished it as I'm not great with non-fiction books but will return to it now I've watched It's a Sin. Apparently it was made into a film as well.

Reactions: 1
I haven’t read this yet but it was recommended to me after I went on and on about this programme

Amazon product

Has anyone read it?

Also - reading all the love for this show is making me cry all over again! 😭

Reactions: 5
My La. T-shirt arrived today! I love it! So far selling it has raised over £160k for the Terrence Higgins Trust 🎉♥

Reactions: 17
I haven’t read this yet but it was recommended to me after I went on and on about this programme

Amazon product

Has anyone read it?

Also - reading all the love for this show is making me cry all over again! 😭
I have also had this on my TBR list - it’s currently out of stock on the Gay’s The Word e-shop - I’d love to know thoughts from anyone who has read it too ☺

I love reading all the love for It’s A Sin - I ugly sobbed my way through every episode like most of you here 💔

Reactions: 4