Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Beaubeau66

I guess she doesn't feel part of it because I think, from memory, elements of that trip was comped and she wrote about it afterwards. So she feels separate from those who can afford a holiday like that when they're paying for it themselves. The rug - she probably also got a big discount on the understanding she would feature it on her instagram.

My guess about the house is that both her and her husband had some help with a deposit either on this or on their previous flat (or both) and have a mortgage too.

Is she actually an hon? I thought it was just her mum? If she is an hon then the whole thing is just so ridiculous. You can't call yourself 'middle class' - you just have to own who you are! Whether or not you feel defined by it, and whether or not you agree with hereditary titles, you have to accept your place in the system and what it has afforded you, and you just *can't* claim to be middle class.
Her mother is an Hon- so Pandora isn’t. She’s a Miss/Ms/Mrs/Mx

Silentcritique

Chatty Member
Sorry I actually got my names wrong, it’s her uncle who lived in that fancy house. Still kinda gives you an idea of their level of social status if immediate family members are living in these crazy homes. I think her grandad lived in a large country home in a more cottage style that’s now holiday accommodation.

Re attitudes towards JK Rowling because I probably share their opinion I didn’t register what they have said, but this strikes me as an example where they consider themselves to Be mouthpieces for a generation because their social/political views align with younger progressive voices. Kinda fair.

I appreciate they are donating their merch proceeds, but like somebody else said, it would be great if they could help someone put their foot in the door.

The concept of peerage is pretty new to me and it’s pretty interesting. I didn’t realise having just one middle name made me so obviously normal lol. I wonder how her and her husband met, and at what point they bonded over having peerage. Or maybe it was just a given from the start.

I don’t know how these sites are maintained but there are some databases about the family history, that even give the family homes. I’m ashamed to say I’m procrastinating doing anything better/productive and have taken some time to look at them. Seems her grandad, the baron Buxton, lived in at least in his later years in a very fancy Georgian house with tennis court sold on savills for £1.85m. Granted it’s a large family so I’m not suggesting pandora saw much of that but still, must have been nice visiting. I’ve often found posh families are quite close too, and larger because they can afford multiple children. Must be fun, and I think a lot of people forget the power that can bring, and also lots of social opportunities, even if just as one family. It’s even possible to find the address I take was Pandora’s childhood home, or at least the residence where she had her wedding. It’s nice but not remarkably fancy, not as nice as even fleur de force’s house lol (swoon).

Still, I wonder if even Dolly feels eclipsed by the privilege of Pandora.
Omg - show!!

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
To be fair, Pandora’s book was released a few weeks before Bryony’s. She was in the top 10 I think, but dropped out.

Then again, Florence Given’s book was released a month before Pandora’s and she’s still in the top 10, so... hmmm. Yeah. Probably not great. I haven’t read Florence Given’s book as I’m not much of a supporter of liberal and choice feminism, but I’m guessing it speaks to millennial and Gen Z women in a way Pandora’s doesn’t?

emm

VIP Member
That could actually be a thread in itself! It’s been ages since I’ve listened but I seem to remember lots of interrupting and as you said, making things about her. Can’t remember if her mum was much better - I think I remember being quite frustrated that interesting conversation was often curtailed by the constant interruptions? A real shame...
Yeh it was especially bad when they had other musicians on, I haven’t listened in ages either , as you said a shame as the concept / guests are very good

blossombloss

Chatty Member
Do you all remember when Dolly was talking once about attending friends’ birthday parties? I remember Pandora saying it’s good etiquette to turn up and not cancel, and Dolly said sometimes you just HAVE to cancel. But her solution was to phone up the pub or venue and have a bottle of champagne delivered to the table. I’ve just revisited that and realised how bloody narcissistic that move is. Oh look at me, I’m amazing because the whole table will have to be interrupted as a bottle of Veuve is delivered — so although I can’t be bothered to attend your party, I’ll still steal the show.
sounds incredibly narcissistic ! Sounds like Dolly too though

Libertine

VIP Member
Her son’s name (the first two names I think are lovely) is on the birth announcement on her IG, just prior to Christmas.

Cloak

VIP Member
I'm on NetGalley and got a preview of Dolly's novel. Only three chapters in. It's a totally fine read so far but dripping in Dolly. Very little effort to make the protagonist different to her. Lives in similar part of London, obsessed about coming from the suburbs, a writer (but for food). I am indifferent to her writing, I think she thinks she's more profound than she is, but I do wonder if I was a fan if it would seem a bit lazy?
oooh i so want to read this!

Kirstyy

Fair enough, you’re a fan. This isn’t a rave thread so you may not like what you read.

I stand by my opinion that they try to present themselves as everywomen and often downplay their privilege - I am sure Dolly says something in her book about her upbringing being totally normal, but to me, a woman from a working class background, it absolutely isn’t. According to another post on this thread, they recently complained about being known as “posh podcasters”, but isn’t that what they are? If they are so open to admitting their privilege, why does that bother them?

I also stand by my point about their names. Dolly in the UK can have a very different connotation from in the US. Dolly Wells is the first person who comes to my mind - a privileged actress from a well-known London family. It doesn’t matter if it’s a nickname - it’s her professional name, and going by such a name professionally, in my opinion, takes the balls that growing up in privilege affords you.

Even if you don’t agree about Dolly, you can surely see the point about Pandora’s name! It was one factor I noted, amongst others, of how it’s obvious they are from rich backgrounds, as another poster didn’t recognise those factors. Seems a moot point for you to pick out anyway because you know they are privileged and according to you, they’ve never shied away from admitting that.

There are several other fair complaints made about them on this thread - their deliberate ignoring of MOD drama, after interviewing her previously, for example. I would say it’s a huge stretch to find this “unfounded”.
Completely understand that this isn’t a rave thread and I do accept the criticism about them not mentioning MOD scandal etc. I’m not Pandora or Dolly haha so don’t take the criticism personally and can understand a lot of it I just think the “posh” criticism is a bit tired.

I stand by what I said about them acknowledging their privilege because they have done so. They don’t need to caveat every opinion or argument or anecdote that they have within the frame of their privilege - their upbringing is well known and that should be enough. They have tried to give a platform to working class and BAME authors on their podcast and of course they can do more but I do genuinely believe that they are trying and are conscious of the leg up that their background has given them.

With regards to their names I agree that Pandora is an indicator of class and which is why I didn’t highlight that point. Dolly is a chosen name and for me it doesn’t particularly convey her class but that’s just my opinion for the reasons I stated above.

AdoraDelano

Chatty Member

New thread here.

I’m like 90% sure it’s this one (but she also has another ludicrously expensive white fluffy rug in her bedroom, which i’m pretty sure is worth a few grand too)
I literally have a rug not too dissimilar to that in my living room off Wayfair, it was £200.

Cloak

VIP Member
No no, the comedian was a different guy, I knew him (not personally but I had done my research at the time!) - i will try to jog my memory and tell you who it was. He wasn't very famous or anything though.

Update, the comedian was either Harry Mitchell or Alfie Brown, because - https://www.mediamasters.fm/wp-cont...Masters_Dolly-Alderton-Podcast-Transcript.pdf (do control find comedian) and then it whittles it down to those two. I don't think it's the latter because he's with Jessie Cave, but the former doesn't seem to have loads of comedy experience... I dunno
how does that whittle it down to those two? I just spent way too long reading through that whole section as I couldn’t work out how to “find” a phrase and can’t find either of their names! 🥴

Cloak

VIP Member
Does Netgalley collate reviews so the authors can amend things ahead of the publish date if people don’t like it? How does it work?