Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I guess she doesn't feel part of it because I think, from memory, elements of that trip was comped and she wrote about it afterwards. So she feels separate from those who can afford a holiday like that when they're paying for it themselves. The rug - she probably also got a big discount on the understanding she would feature it on her instagram.

My guess about the house is that both her and her husband had some help with a deposit either on this or on their previous flat (or both) and have a mortgage too.

Is she actually an hon? I thought it was just her mum? If she is an hon then the whole thing is just so ridiculous. You can't call yourself 'middle class' - you just have to own who you are! Whether or not you feel defined by it, and whether or not you agree with hereditary titles, you have to accept your place in the system and what it has afforded you, and you just *can't* claim to be middle class.
Her mother is an Hon- so Pandora isn’t. She’s a Miss/Ms/Mrs/Mx

I came on here to lurk a while back after a search for Pandora’s earrings found the thread (honestly). At the time I’d bookmarked one of her travel posts on her blog to read, and when I went to read it the blog had gone- she deleted all but a few ST/Elle articles in the days leading up to publication (and then relaunched her website). The PanDolly has also been deleted from the iTunes archive too.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I’m like 90% sure it’s this one (but she also has another ludicrously expensive white fluffy rug in her bedroom, which i’m pretty sure is worth a few grand too)
Wow that’s a mismatch of different styles all thrown in one room isn’t it! Not my taste ha.
The rug looks painfully average? Rich people man. 3 grand.

Reactions: 4
Wow that’s a mismatch of different styles all thrown in one room isn’t it! Not my taste ha.
The rug looks painfully average? Rich people man. 3 grand.
I really like a lot of her house but that room is ... too much.... and yup, though I think you mean ‘middle class people’ (🙃🤪)

Reactions: 2
I’m like 90% sure it’s this one (but she also has another ludicrously expensive white fluffy rug in her bedroom, which i’m pretty sure is worth a few grand too)
I literally have a rug not too dissimilar to that in my living room off Wayfair, it was £200.

It’s interesting because I can’t relate to Pandora from a money / class perspective but I sometimes find her easier to relate to than Dolly as she’s a mother. Dolly just seems younger to me and the way she’s so romantic / obsessed about men just makes me feel tired and jaded in a ‘wait till you’ve got other things to worry about’ way. That’s unfair and it’s my fault but just a gut reaction.

I read an interview where Pandora said she only had three months maternity leave because of the expectations of HighLow listeners that I thought was a bit odd. It’s nice to be wanted back (can you imagine if nobody cared foe something like that, they’d be no point returning) but you can’t blame a load of random listeners, you need to make your decisions. Also - plenty of women return to manual, low paid jobs with no choice. Just thought it was a bit weird.

Reactions: 6
She loves to remind people how short her maternity leave was but fails to acknowledge what a unique position she was in. She had a full-time nanny, a supportive partner, and was working from home which brings its own flexibility and probably had her child close by even when she was working. I've noticed whenever people challenge or question her she loves to get in that she has a "new baby" too.

Reactions: 19
I read an interview where Pandora said she only had three months maternity leave because of the expectations of HighLow listeners that I thought was a bit odd. It’s nice to be wanted back (can you imagine if nobody cared foe something like that, they’d be no point returning) but you can’t blame a load of random listeners, you need to make your decisions. Also - plenty of women return to manual, low paid jobs with no choice. Just thought it was a bit weird.
I thought they came back because of isolation, so it's interesting to hear that. I only started listening late last year and in the run up to them taking a break, was under the impression that they would be away a lot longer for Pandora's maternity had the UK not gone into lockdown.

Reactions: 1
The rug was definitely a gift/partial gift from The Rug Company:

Am I missing it or has Pandora deleted those tweets about leaving Twitter?
Omg, knew she would.

Just spotted this in Pandora’s Instagram bio... god why has it irked me so much! Why feel the need to put ‘Sporadic user of IG’ when you on avg post every 5 days - I’ve not posted anything in about 6 months!!! What is she trying to prove, that she’s holier than thou because she deletes it for a few days a week?!

On the Hon, I think it’s just her mum and my understanding is they don’t pass down in that way? *HOWEVER*, I sort of struggle in my mind with having a mum who’s a Rt Hon, and being typically middle class. Partic when you couple it with alllllll the other stuff.
The amount she bangs on about not using social media while, er, on social media, is cringeworthy. She clearly has a real issue with it, if she’s struggling that much then she should stay off completely.

• Haha
That’s a really weird statement for her to make, especially when most of their listeners are women of a similar age.

Also, I would say there’s a vast difference between going back to recording a podcast (from your own home, once a week, which someone else then edits and produces) and going back to work after maternity leave for most women. The privilege is off the charts!

Reactions: 14
Just spotted this in Pandora’s Instagram bio... god why has it irked me so much! Why feel the need to put ‘Sporadic user of IG’ when you on avg post every 5 days - I’ve not posted anything in about 6 months!!! What is she trying to prove, that she’s holier than thou because she deletes it for a few days a week?!

On the Hon, I think it’s just her mum and my understanding is they don’t pass down in that way? *HOWEVER*, I sort of struggle in my mind with having a mum who’s a Rt Hon, and being typically middle class. Partic when you couple it with alllllll the other stuff.
Omg yes I noticed this and totally forgot to say! So funny. Really don't need that disclosure, especially when she's back all over it when she has something to promote.

Hmm interesting about the Hon. I was always confused about if Pandora would actually be considered middle class - what do you all think? She seems to refer to herself as such, e.g. I've read her mentioning her book features middle class anxieties or something along those lines.

That’s a really weird statement for her to make, especially when most of their listeners are women of a similar age.

Also, I would say there’s a vast difference between going back to recording a podcast (from your own home, once a week, which someone else then edits and produces) and going back to work after maternity leave for most women. The privilege is off the charts!
Totally agree. Going back to record a podcast from home/Dollys house/wherever, while having a nanny, compared to a parent who is going back to an 8 hour a day, possibly also with a long commute, is pretty incomparable. Though to be fair I do think she realises this.

This. She always seems so defensive about it, but exactly – it's not like she's getting up at 6am for a rush our commute to an office and spending 8 hours there and commuting home. It's literally a chat with a best friend, IN HER OWN HOME! I get she needs to research for it and stuff but given she reads about 13,000 books a week I fail to see how that is a huge burden.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Did anyone listen to her book promo podcast? If so what did you think? I really liked Dollys one 'Love Stories' but not that fussed about downloading Pandora's. I would have loved to see her incorporate normal women with interesting stories. Not sure how it would have worked and maybe not ideal as people are more likely to listen to famous people they recognise, but would have been different and more authentic.

Pandora has also deleted the "love ya tiger mom" tweet response to Nelle about the Guardian article "kill piece". I'm guessing she's regretting her petulant outburst now...

I know criticism hurts and I do feel for her it's not nice to read and must sting being in the Guardian and the article having such a positive response on Twitter. But come on, majorly embarrassing and unprofessional behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Did anyone listen to her book promo podcast? If so what did you think? I really liked Dollys one 'Love Stories' but not that fussed about downloading Pandora's. I would have loved to see her incorporate normal women with interesting stories. Not sure how it would have worked and maybe not ideal as people are more likely to listen to famous people they recognise, but would have been different and more authentic.

Pandora has also deleted the "love ya tiger mom" tweet response to Nelle about the Guardian article "kill piece". I'm guessing she's regretting her petulant outburst now...

I know criticism hurts and I do feel for her it's not nice to read and must sting being in the Guardian and the article having such a positive response on Twitter. But come on, majorly embarrassing and unprofessional behaviour.
I listened to the first one because I love Joe Lycett. But it was a pretty generic interview and the connection with the book was tenuous to say the least. As someone who follows Joe Lycett's work but not in huge detail I didn't feel I learned anything new. I think Dolly is a good interviewer but I don't think Pandora carried it.

Reactions: 5
Have only listened to three, but enjoyed the second ep with Sinead Burke. Having said that, my enjoyment was totally down to... Sinead Burke. She had so much interesting stuff to say and really opened my eyes to a lot of the everyday ableism she must face. The stuff about using public bathrooms was gutting. The ep with Joe Lycett (who I think is great) was totally pointless and I zoned out during Dotty Charles’s ep (largely when she said ‘We shouldn’t rely on Black people to come on podcasts/TV/write articles at moments of heightened awareness just to talk about Black trauma; we should highlight their work all the time and invite them to discuss other societal issues/general commentary as we do others.’ And Pandora had to pretend that inviting a Black woman on to talk about trauma wasn’t exactly what she’d JUST DONE AND CONSTANTLY DOES. Anywaaaay...)

Yah I don’t like being criticised in my appraisal but appaza no one gives a duck and I have to be constructive about it *picks nails*.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.