Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, I imagine they both vote Tory as well which, if you have any respect for the nhs etc at this point , is a joke
Actually pandora votes Lib Dem (she said on the podcast) and I’m pretty sure dolly votes labour because she’s discussed their policies quite a few times and loved Jeremy Corbin.

🤓

Reactions: 2
How the hell is that new podcast at number 1 without having had any episodes on air?
I think the podcast charts are done quite strangely - all about new subscribers rather than how many people listen so she’s probably had lots of subscribers.

Reactions: 1
That is so ridiculous that you can write a review before it is even out!

I must say I am glad other people have noticed Dolly’s slightly narcissistic tweets that sort of masquerade as self-deprecating but just come across like she finds herself hilarious. Though I do on the whole like them both, I find Pandora to be a bit more likeable.

I have to disagree that they never acknowledge their privilege — they’ve definitely mentioned it a lot on the podcast and I think it can get tiring to hear someone fall all over themselves to “check their privilege”. Think it’s a case of damned if they do damned if they don’t with that.

Reactions: 9
Listening to their show with Candice Braithwaite and she’s talking holier than thou about drugs and the wheel of death is a bit hypocritical as Candice has been on Jodie Marsh’s sex worker programme as a Madame! How many people have been thrown into the wheel of death because of her??

Is it just me or has anyone else found the premise of - and in fact everything that pandora has said about - her new book to be completely bleeping irritating and hypocritical? she is in an article with porter which she has shared on social media. is she really that blind to the irony of saying something like:

Why don’t I have that holiday?’, and the answer is that’s never the way life has worked. But Instagram makes you think that everything is just within reach. It’s a huge pressure and it’s deeply, deeply cruel.”

And yet still posting really posey images of herself with her children in her gigantic house, or on holiday, or wearing really expensive clothes etc etc?

Or in saying something like 'there is no 'right' life, just be good enough' - isn't that a bit rich coming from someone who has - in the not so distant past - appeared in home magazines, gone on sponsored holidays, done paid partnerships with expensive designers, and frankly had a relatively easy ride career-wise. It's so condescending, and unhelpful. If she really is worried about the impact of social media on young women, about the pressure generally on women to look and be everything and amazing all of the time, why does she choose to continue presenting this curated image of herself on instagram, be featured in magazines like bleeping Porter, or home and garden? With a following of at least 300k followers on instagram, how on earth is she not contributing to the very thing she is complaining about?!

I get that she can't 'help' being privileged, but I do think its her privilege which contributes to her tone-deafness and completely blinkered view.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Is it just me or has anyone else found the premise of - and in fact everything that pandora has said about - her new book to be completely bleeping irritating and hypocritical? she is in an article with porter which she has shared on social media. is she really that blind to the irony of saying something like:

Why don’t I have that holiday?’, and the answer is that’s never the way life has worked. But Instagram makes you think that everything is just within reach. It’s a huge pressure and it’s deeply, deeply cruel.”

And yet still posting really posey images of herself with her children in her gigantic house, or on holiday, or wearing really expensive clothes etc etc?

Or in saying something like 'there is no 'right' life, just be good enough' - isn't that a bit rich coming from someone who has - in the not so distant past - appeared in home magazines, gone on sponsored holidays, done paid partnerships with expensive designers, and frankly had a relatively easy ride career-wise. It's so condescending, and unhelpful. If she really is worried about the impact of social media on young women, about the pressure generally on women to look and be everything and amazing all of the time, why does she choose to continue presenting this curated image of herself on instagram, be featured in magazines like bleeping Porter, or home and garden? With a following of at least 300k followers on instagram, how on earth is she not contributing to the very thing she is complaining about?!

I get that she can't 'help' being privileged, but I do think its her privilege which contributes to her tone-deafness and completely blinkered view.
So well said.

I find a lot of what she says I agree with, but coming from her it is just so off. It's like she wants to be the voice of the everywoman, when she isn't one.

Reactions: 6

Exactly - no one can help being privileged but being a massive hypocrite is a different thing entirely. She’s always been very judgmental of influencers on the High Low. She’s complained about being labelled as an influencer at a time when she was posting a lot of ads on Instagram (many of which she didn’t make clear were paid advertisements). I appreciate she has moved away from this now but I’d respect her more if she spoke about this topic with honesty rather than being so condescending.

Reactions: 8

so much of what she does is contradictory. Takes performative breaks from social media but swoops back when she needs to promote something. Bemoans unrealistic social media personas while... posting unrealistic (to many) images on social media.

I know they both acknowledge their privilege but like so many posh white women they began to acknowledge it when people pointed it out to them. Because when you’ve risen through a nepotistic, cliquey media trajectory it’s difficult to see the people who’ve been excluded so you can succeed (those who can’t afford unpaid internships, those with talent and no connections)

I listened to the first episode of the podcast that Pandora did with Joe Lycett. I enjoyed it but felt that it didn’t really stick to the brief. She didn’t really ask him about the anxieties of modern life and it came over like a standard celebrity interview. I will still listen though as I do actually quite like Pandora.

Reactions: 5
Pandora’s latest Instagram post made me laugh. The Times headline states she’s sworn off social media which she had to admit in the caption clearly isn’t true. Just make life easier for yourself, admit that you are like most people and use social media, you’re not superior to anyone by not using it!

What I'm finding interesting about Pandora's book promo is it's a lot of interviews, when, if you have a good publicist/reputation as a journalist you write your own pieces or rework extracts of your book for the Guardian/Times/Observer etc. Maybe her publishers have tried and her work isn't strong enough to stand on it's own

Reactions: 3
Pandora’s latest Instagram post made me laugh. The Times headline states she’s sworn off social media which she had to admit in the caption clearly isn’t true. Just make life easier for yourself, admit that you are like most people and use social media, you’re not superior to anyone by not using it!
Yes! And how many times does she need to emphasise that she’s into reading?! It must actually be quite difficult to be always trying so desperately hard to be taken seriously.

I'm on NetGalley and got a preview of Dolly's novel. Only three chapters in. It's a totally fine read so far but dripping in Dolly. Very little effort to make the protagonist different to her. Lives in similar part of London, obsessed about coming from the suburbs, a writer (but for food). I am indifferent to her writing, I think she thinks she's more profound than she is, but I do wonder if I was a fan if it would seem a bit lazy?

I'm on NetGalley and got a preview of Dolly's novel. Only three chapters in. It's a totally fine read so far but dripping in Dolly. Very little effort to make the protagonist different to her. Lives in similar part of London, obsessed about coming from the suburbs, a writer (but for food). I am indifferent to her writing, I think she thinks she's more profound than she is, but I do wonder if I was a fan if it would seem a bit lazy?
oooh i so want to read this!

oooh i so want to read this!
I'm not sure if you can set up a new NetGalley account and request it? Some of the books the publishers pick and choose who reviews it. This one was available to anyone.

Oooh I've been approved to read this too so nice to hear your thoughts. Sounds like I may dislike it though :(

Oooh I've been approved to read this too so nice to hear your thoughts. Sounds like I may dislike it though :(
Read another chapter after posting. It is a totally fine chicklit book but nothing more (I'm prepared to be wowed but it's not happening. The beginning is a bit tit and it's plodding on with lots of information about characters dumped in a bit of a cackhanded way.

Does Netgalley collate reviews so the authors can amend things ahead of the publish date if people don’t like it? How does it work?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.