Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bella Mackie asked people on twitter yesterday what podcasts (if any) they hate-listen to. Quite a few replies saying the high low 👀
I didn't reply, as I'm not on Twitter, but this is so me. This is interesting to me. Why do I hate listen? Why do so many others hate listen to it? What does that say about us and them?

Reactions: 7
Why are we all hate watching/ listening/ reading all these people? It’s a genu-yne modern mystery 🔮

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I’m not really au-fait with the whole literary world so wondered if anybody here could shed some light. I noticed Pandora’s book wasn’t in the top 10 in the Sunday Times this weekend. Considering it only came out very recently, would her book be considered a ‘flop’?

Reactions: 2
I’m not really au-fait with the whole literary world so wondered if anybody here could shed some light. I noticed Pandora’s book wasn’t in the top 10 in the Sunday Times this weekend. Considering it only came out very recently, would her book be considered a ‘flop’?
I would say so - I saw when Bryony Gordon posted the list on Instagram she’d made top ten but only sold 1,500 or so. Doesn’t seem many to me?

• Wow
Reactions: 4
To be fair, Pandora’s book was released a few weeks before Bryony’s. She was in the top 10 I think, but dropped out.

Then again, Florence Given’s book was released a month before Pandora’s and she’s still in the top 10, so... hmmm. Yeah. Probably not great. I haven’t read Florence Given’s book as I’m not much of a supporter of liberal and choice feminism, but I’m guessing it speaks to millennial and Gen Z women in a way Pandora’s doesn’t?

I see Nigella was praising Dolly’s new novel today on Instagram. I liked Dolly’s first book but the short excerpt I read of “ghosts” came off as millennial try-hard and didn’t seem like it would interest me. I wonder how well it will do.
I never take any notice of these celeb blurbs anymore because the celebs have either been paid to blurb or been encouraged to do so by their agent or someone at their publisher, because they share the same agent, or, as in the case of Nigella and Dolly, Nigella's publisher is owned by Penguin Random House, the same as Dolly.

Reactions: 8
I never take any notice of these celeb blurbs anymore because the celebs have either been paid to blurb or been encouraged to do so by their agent or someone at their publisher, because they share the same agent, or, as in the case of Nigella and Dolly, Nigella's publisher is owned by Penguin Random House, the same as Dolly.
I don’t believe what any of them say either. They all have same agents or are paid to to promote. I don’t trust a word they say is real. It’s like when they never spoke about Mother of Daughters being a troll as they shared the same agent. They can all be bought and it’s all so fake.

Reactions: 12
To be fair, Pandora’s book was released a few weeks before Bryony’s. She was in the top 10 I think, but dropped out.

Then again, Florence Given’s book was released a month before Pandora’s and she’s still in the top 10, so... hmmm. Yeah. Probably not great. I haven’t read Florence Given’s book as I’m not much of a supporter of liberal and choice feminism, but I’m guessing it speaks to millennial and Gen Z women in a way Pandora’s doesn’t?
The 10th hardback on the non fiction chart is Mrs Hinch, which sold just over 1000 copies, so Pandora's book really has not done well this week.

I remember Dolly's book was in the top 10 for weeks. A book of essays is a harder sell I think. Still, interesting that so much publicity had only fleeting effect (although obviously covid must have had an impact)

Reactions: 4
If it’s got the usual round of authors pooping out blurb on the front I give it a swerve these days.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
And then it gets echoed by thousands and thousands of high low fans. I’m so happy this thread exists as I’ve had better book recommendations via twitter tangents from discussions here (Eliza Clark is v funny on twitter and also gives some great recs). So many of pandora and dolly’s circle churn out sub par chick lit with a woke take. Add a sprinkle of train wreck/ bad girl and whack a sage cover on, get Stacey Dooley to write a cover quote and you’re set (side note, does anyone else think the covers for pandora and Dolly’s books are awful? I thought Pandora’s was a proof cover for ages).
Omg HATE Pandora’s cover!!! I do like her taste so was expecting big things and agree, totally looks like a proof

Reactions: 3
The fact that they never addressed Mother of Daughters drama really fucked me off. I believe they were on mat leave then so had that excuse I guess. But to then interview Candice Brathwaite when her book came out? Without even acknowledging the MoD situation? I mean WHAT?! I really was surprised that Candice agreed to the interview.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The fact that they never addressed Mother of Daughters drama really fucked me off. I believe they were on mat leave then so had that excuse I guess. But to then interview Candice Brathwaite when her book came out? Without even acknowledging the MoD situation? I mean WHAT?! I really was surprised that Candice agreed to the interview.
How is the MOD stuff and Candice related?

How is the MOD stuff and Candice related?
Guardian article:
Brathwaite has also experienced direct hostility from the mumosphere. Last year it emerged that she had been among those attacked by a secret account created by midwife and reigning queen of the mumfluencers, Clemmie Hooper (AKA Mother of Daughters). Hooper accused Brathwaite – whom she had previously invited on to her podcast – of being aggressive and weaponising race (Hooper has since apologised).

Guardian article:
Brathwaite has also experienced direct hostility from the mumosphere. Last year it emerged that she had been among those attacked by a secret account created by midwife and reigning queen of the mumfluencers, Clemmie Hooper (AKA Mother of Daughters). Hooper accused Brathwaite – whom she had previously invited on to her podcast – of being aggressive and weaponising race (Hooper has since apologised).

WOAH

Reactions: 1
MoD did apologise, however it was just on an Instagram story that stayed up 24 hours and then went away. And it was far from specific - didn’t mention Candice at all.
P&D were both very pro MoD when she was on THL from what I remember.
It just irked me that they then invited Candice on THL when all the BLM stuff first gained real traction (although her book was released at the same time).

Reactions: 6
MoD did apologise, however it was just on an Instagram story that stayed up 24 hours and then went away. And it was far from specific - didn’t mention Candice at all.
P&D were both very pro MoD when she was on THL from what I remember.
It just irked me that they then invited Candice on THL when all the BLM stuff first gained real traction (although her book was released at the same time).
Totally agree - and it’s never been addressed by MoD or FoD since (think they’ve both deleted their accounts now after he got a load of flack for posting about BLM this year, despite his wife making racist comments).

It’s typical P&D though isn’t it, really (to ignore the MoD drama). It’s all part of the performative pop culture circle jerk. Jerk those who are in, ignore issues when they’re out (because remember folks, the High Low is Only Here To Talk About Positive Things We Love!)

Reactions: 8

I wonder if Pandora will earn out her advance. There was I think an 11 way auction for the publishing rights, so the advance may have been large, which will have been nice for her but make it much harder to earn out in the face of rapidly falling sales.

Totally agree - and it’s never been addressed by MoD or FoD since (think they’ve both deleted their accounts now after he got a load of flack for posting about BLM this year, despite his wife making racist comments).

It’s typical P&D though isn’t it, really (to ignore the MoD drama). It’s all part of the performative pop culture circle jerk. Jerk those who are in, ignore issues when they’re out (because remember folks, the High Low is Only Here To Talk About Positive Things We Love!)
FoD’s account is still there. He hasn’t posted on it for months. He has own thread(s) on here which is active.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.