Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s spoken about being more private on social media since having children, but then uses them in photos to flog the book?! I swear she revealed the book cover by using photo of her son holding the book a few months ago but that seems to have disappeared now...:unsure:
Yes I remember seeing this too! I've unfollowed her now though. Why should I follow someone who uses not using social media as a boast, only until she needs all of her followers to like her book promo and buy her book..

No judgement at her not wanting to use social media at all, I understand the reasons. But she just seems very wishy washy about it.

Reactions: 7
The trouble with both is that they occupy a tiny little privileged niche and yet they believe they’re representative. I also abhor how they congratulate themselves for holding difficult conversations when they side step any difficult issues for fear of offending anyone.

Yes I remember seeing this too! I've unfollowed her now though. Why should I follow someone who uses not using social media as a boast, only until she needs all of her followers to like her book promo and buy her book..

No judgement at her not wanting to use social media at all, I understand the reasons. But she just seems very wishy washy about it.
How she sees it as some kind of achievement is beyond me, I am her age and don’t use social media and have many friends who don’t either

Reactions: 4
I’m mildly 🤣 surprised that Dolly hasn’t come onto social media to celebrate Pandora’s book launch today.

Reactions: 1
I’m mildly 🤣 surprised that Dolly hasn’t come onto social media to celebrate Pandora’s book launch today.
Babe is too cool to celebrate her friend’s success. She’ll just give her a knowing nod next time she sees her and then talk about how she did that instead for 20 minutes

Lots of cig packets in Pandora’s latest insta stories which she clearly uploaded drunk... always wondered if she was a smoker? (so thin and her skin)

Reactions: 6
Lots of cig packets in Pandora’s latest insta stories which she clearly uploaded drunk... always wondered if she was a smoker? (so thin and her skin)
Ha came here to say exactly this! The cig packets are very clearly right in front of her on the table. I gotta admit I’m surprised if she’s a smoker?! Especially given Dolly often mentions how she’s trying to quit etc in the podcast and have never heard Pandora chime in..

Reactions: 3
Ha came here to say exactly this! The cig packets are very clearly right in front of her on the table. I gotta admit I’m surprised if she’s a smoker?! Especially given Dolly often mentions how she’s trying to quit etc in the podcast and have never heard Pandora chime in..
Totes agree, but then I thought... she’s so secretive whereas dolly’s such an oversharer, so if she’s a bit of a smoker but doesn’t want to admit it I’m sure she’d keep schtum! Made me laugh either way though 😂

She’s spoken about being more private on social media since having children, but then uses them in photos to flog the book?! I swear she revealed the book cover by using photo of her son holding the book a few months ago but that seems to have disappeared now...:unsure:
This pic 100% existed!! I remember the caption being her baby’s tiny hands holding the book or something... bizarre

Reactions: 5
Having India Knight of all people as one of the quotations on the front cover. She seems so dreadful and from what I hear her books are terrible.

Having India Knight of all people as one of the quotations on the front cover. She seems so dreadful and from what I hear her books are terrible.
im so surprised that wasnt changed in light of recent "events"

She is dreadful but she's still, baffingly, a sign of quality to a certain kind of posho woman. She's like a posh Marian Keyes. See them both quoted on loads and loads of books. Which cheapens their recommendation surely?

I had a brief internship during Paris fashion week years and years ago. I remember seeing Pandora outside a show venue smoking, so she used to smoke. I recognised her from the Sunday Times mag, she was verrrrry skinny, tanned, puffing away on her ciggie, enthusiastically squealing in her privately educated accent.

I had a brief internship during Paris fashion week years and years ago. I remember seeing Pandora outside a show venue smoking, so she used to smoke. I recognised her from the Sunday Times mag, she was verrrrry skinny, tanned, puffing away on her ciggie, enthusiastically squealing in her privately educated accent.
Oooh interesting!

Totally both smokers. Pandora has to maintain her perfect image especially now she has two kids .

Reactions: 6
Totally both smokers. Pandora has to maintain her perfect image especially now she has two kids .
Yeah I got the impression she doesn’t care that much though just doesn’t actively talk about it? In the photo that her friend put up of her and her husband she clearly has a cigarette box and in the other photos she put up herself and hasn’t deleted them so I doubt she cares that much?

So I listened to the new episode on a tedious tube journey across London I noticed something that’s a small but kind of disappointing in terms of how contrived it actually is.
The epsiode is all about motherhood and the choice women face to do it or not, society’s judgement etc When discussing a book about a group of friends who all make different decisions by Emma Gannon, Pandora ever so casually compares it to expectation’, another novel about female friendship they’ve discussed in the past. She raved about it back then, I found it terrible, as it goes. One of the key reasons I don’t have much respect for her taste or judgement.
But that’s not important, the comparison still made sense on this new episode. it felt like a very insignificant moment, something she just thought of then and nothing more was said about it. But I kept the podcast running past the outro, music , end credits etc (unusually for me,) because my hands were occupied at that moment. At the very end there’s a disclaimer that ’support from the high low comes from expectation and penguin random house.’ So ...mentioning the book was not something that just occurred to her at all - and the whole thing feels more contrived.

How many of the books and shows mentioned are paying their way in to the conversation ? How much did they structure or script it to make it relevant to bring up ?I know I shouldn’t be surprised but I guess I didn’t realise a single book could sponsor a podcast epsiode - and only require an off the cuff mention. Also it rubs me the wrong way that the epsiode starts with their gin sponsor but this one is hidden at the end where most wont hear it. A glimpse at how the sausage is made I guess, never nice.

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.