Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't believe I didn't know this!
I’m too tired to delve into discussion but yes her real name is hannah and the dolly thing only came about when she was about 16 or something. She talked about it as a guest on some podcast. Think it might have been because she wore lots of mascara and was said to look like a doll

Reactions: 1
I think it was younger than that and because she looked like Dolly the cloned sheep... but I could be misremembering!
Yes it was her response to bullies who started calling her Shaun the Sheep - she suggested Dolly instead. She must have had friends who took it up too as I can’t imagine school bullies easily swapping

I don’t believe that story. I think she didn’t want to be called something as normal as Hannah and Dolly works with her 1960s guitar girl fantasies.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I’m sorry I can’t remember the story or the podcast either haha. It may have been table manners (gosh Jessie water is so annoying on that). She’s also obsessed with Dolly Parton 🤷🏼‍♀️

I don’t believe that story. I think she didn’t want to be called something as normal as Hannah and Dolly works with her 1960s guitar girl fantasies.
it’s a classic case of uni- reinvention nickname. There may be an element of truth in the story but I have never known a female nickname to stick unless it’s unflattering or the person insists on it being used. Case study- girl at my uni called ‘flick’. I assumed her name was felicity (it was around the flick from ‘neighbours’ time). At graduation a friend and I overhear her mother asking, ‘Rebecca, why is everyone calling you flick?’

• Haha
Reactions: 10
it’s a classic case of uni- reinvention nickname. There may be an element of truth in the story but I have never known a female nickname to stick unless it’s unflattering or the person insists on it being used. Case study- girl at my uni called ‘flick’. I assumed her name was felicity (it was around the flick from ‘neighbours’ time). At graduation a friend and I overhear her mother asking, ‘Rebecca, why is everyone calling you flick?’
Yep I knew several people from uni who chose an ‘edgy’ nickname. You wouldn’t think Lucy could be shortened but apparently so if you want to be pretentious enough 🙄

Reactions: 4
Yep I knew several people from uni who chose an ‘edgy’ nickname. You wouldn’t think Lucy could be shortened but apparently so if you want to be pretentious enough 🙄
Also knew a photography student who’s name was ‘flash’ because apparently she’d had a camera around her neck since she was old enough to use one bla bla bla 🤮

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
I’m sorry I can’t remember the story or the podcast either haha. It may have been table manners (gosh Jessie water is so annoying on that). She’s also obsessed with Dolly Parton 🤷🏼‍♀️
Omg I thought I was the only person who hated this podcast! She just talks over guests and makes everything about jeez!

Omg I thought I was the only person who hated this podcast! She just talks over guests and makes everything about jeez!
That could actually be a thread in itself! It’s been ages since I’ve listened but I seem to remember lots of interrupting and as you said, making things about her. Can’t remember if her mum was much better - I think I remember being quite frustrated that interesting conversation was often curtailed by the constant interruptions? A real shame...

Reactions: 2
I see Nigella was praising Dolly’s new novel today on Instagram. I liked Dolly’s first book but the short excerpt I read of “ghosts” came off as millennial try-hard and didn’t seem like it would interest me. I wonder how well it will do.

That could actually be a thread in itself! It’s been ages since I’ve listened but I seem to remember lots of interrupting and as you said, making things about her. Can’t remember if her mum was much better - I think I remember being quite frustrated that interesting conversation was often curtailed by the constant interruptions? A real shame...
Yeh it was especially bad when they had other musicians on, I haven’t listened in ages either , as you said a shame as the concept / guests are very good

I see Nigella was praising Dolly’s new novel today on Instagram. I liked Dolly’s first book but the short excerpt I read of “ghosts” came off as millennial try-hard and didn’t seem like it would interest me. I wonder how well it will do.
Nigella was v gushy about her in her last Sunday Times Style column this weekend, saying what an honour it had been to have partly replaced her for a year.

The more I’m reading about Ghosts the more I’m thinking it’s standard, run-of-the-mill women’s fiction. I expect it to sell loads, though, just given the worship that Dolly elicits amongst white female millennials.

Reactions: 3
Nigella was v gushy about her in her last Sunday Times Style column this weekend, saying what an honour it had been to have partly replaced her for a year.

The more I’m reading about Ghosts the more I’m thinking it’s standard, run-of-the-mill women’s fiction. I expect it to sell loads, though, just given the worship that Dolly elicits amongst white female millennials.
Not this white female millennial. I'm not falling for the gushy reviews this time!

It’s like the Empor

Its like the Emperors New Clothes once in their jerk circle of literary/media mates.

Most probably she felt obliged since she was one of the people covering for Dolly while she went off to write her book

It’s like the Empor

Its like the Emperors New Clothes once in their jerk circle of literary/media mates.
And then it gets echoed by thousands and thousands of high low fans. I’m so happy this thread exists as I’ve had better book recommendations via twitter tangents from discussions here (Eliza Clark is v funny on twitter and also gives some great recs). So many of pandora and dolly’s circle churn out sub par chick lit with a woke take. Add a sprinkle of train wreck/ bad girl and whack a sage cover on, get Stacey Dooley to write a cover quote and you’re set (side note, does anyone else think the covers for pandora and Dolly’s books are awful? I thought Pandora’s was a proof cover for ages).

Reactions: 6
Bella Mackie asked people on twitter yesterday what podcasts (if any) they hate-listen to. Quite a few replies saying the high low 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.