Carrie Hope Fletcher #45 He's behind you! (For evermore)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m watching the live and I’m at the bit where they start talking about the engagement and my word it’s uncomfortable

I can’t upload the screen recording I took but surely when your partner is talking about proposing to you you’d look happier than this?
Also the very last 2 minutes when they are talking about something like they didn't expect this bla bla. She looks like she is ready to cry. Was she thinking about the break up and how unexpected it was?

Reactions: 2
Whatever is going on she never looks happy, certainly naturally happy and is always dead behind the eyes

Reactions: 10
I appreciate the effort and I personally think he is vile because of the SA and generally as a person. But let's stop painting him as a monster when Carrie is concerned. She is a manipulative witch, a bully that treats her partners like tit and expects them to keep bending over backwards to please her as if she's the best thing that ever happened to them. She slid into his DMs (they might have changed story but that was how it started) because she knew he was a sure thing. He's clearly into her (he's not that good of an actor) and she is not but is using him because she known he's most likely an incel that has never touched a woman before her.

Yeah he's tit and he deserves to be alone but she's not a poor victim being manipulated by a mastermind like some people try to imply. She's a witch, nothing more and nothing less and if you ask me she should also be alone. She's not deserving to have someone around her because she just mistreats men. She should do a lot of work on herself in order to become worthy to have a partner. I've always thought first you have to be happy, satisfied with your life and at peace in order to have a healthy and happy relationship. Not push all your frustration on someone else and be a user (sound familiar, Carrie??).

Gonna close with a quote from a Russian writer because Carrie needs to hear this. She's a spoiled brat stuck at the worst age possible (teenage years) because she can't get over herself.
An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person.
My list was never intended to paint Joel as the villain opposite Carrie as the innocent. She is just as complicit in this whole shindig as he is; as she’s allowing him to do this. In the beginning when his red flags started showing, I thought she was just blinded by the attention which she had missed when she was with Ollie, but by now I hold no sympathy for her. She’s enabling and participating in this - in my opinion - absolutely ludicrous behavior, so good riddance to her.

I just think Joel’s behavior is such a caricature of a person, that it’s equally entertaining and frightening at the same time. Like he’s the embodiment of the lyric he sang in Waitress:

‘I love you, means you’re never ever, ever, ever getting rid of me’

• Haha
Reactions: 20
My list was never intended to paint Joel as the villain opposite Carrie as the innocent. She is just as complicit in this whole shindig as he is; as she’s allowing him to do this. In the beginning when his red flags started showing, I thought she was just blinded by the attention which she had missed when she was with Ollie, but by now I hold no sympathy for her. She’s enabling and participating in this - in my opinion - absolutely ludicrous behavior, so good riddance to her.

I just think Joel’s behavior is such a caricature of a person, that it’s equally entertaining and frightening at the same time. Like he’s the embodiment of the lyric he sang in Waitress:

‘I love you, means you’re never ever, ever, ever getting rid of me’
Joel - 'I love you, means you're never ever ever getting rid of me
Carrie - ' I love you like a table '

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Joel coming our with a reworked Taylor Swifts 'We are never ever getting back together'

"You are never ever ever getting rid of me
We will always always always be together
You wont talk to your friends, only my friends, and talk to me
You are never ever ever ever getting rid of me

Like, ever"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm not against engagement rings at all because they're a lovely reminder of the engagement. They might have stood for ownership back in the days, but now it's a thing most people are really excited about and it has gained a new meaning.
I find this very convenient to be honest. 😂😂😂
I don't see much difference in your feminism and Carrie's, picking only feminist concepts that are convenient to you.

If someone claims that talking to the parents is outdated and sees the woman as someone to be owned by men and is so outraged by this, an engagement ring should also be seen in the same way. As should be the father walking the bride into the church and handing her over to the husband.

Either they're all now sentimental gestures with a nice meaning behind them or they're associated with the concept of ownership of the woman.

View attachment 1750992

When it suddenly hits you that you've made a massive mistake.
😂😂😂 So she makes that face every morning when she wakes up next to him.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this Q. But… why even bother answering?? 🙄

View attachment 1750994
The day is not complete without her taking out her frustration on someone else and being rude. 😒

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I don't see much difference in your feminism and Carrie's, picking only feminist concepts that are convenient to you.

If someone claims that talking to the parents is outdated and sees the woman as someone to be owned by men and is so outraged by this, an engagement ring should also be seen in the same way. As should be the father walking the bride into the church and handing her over to the husband.

Either they're all now sentimental gestures with a nice meaning behind them or they're associated with the concept of ownership of the woman.
Bruh we're not here to tear each other apart or am I wrong. A engagement ring is a pretty ring at the end of the day. The whole asking for the parents' blessing thing is... like I just don't see the nice thing about that because why don't just both partners go and talk to the parents. I just don't see how this thing has gained a new meaning because it still excludes one half of the couple from a very important conversation. I really do see a difference between the two.

Though it's interesting that there is such a big cultural difference. In my culture this tradition really seems archaic even though I'm European too. Well, if Carrie now starts to defend that part of her engagement, at least we definitely know she read the whole threat.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

It’s honestly not for you to determine someone’s feminism. As someone upthread said, feminism means allowing women to choose what they want to do and what they believe in. You can’t police feminism and it doesn’t have an arbitrary list of dos and donts.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I don't see the issue with speaking with parents first, i think it's sweet. My husband gets on well with my parents (although sadly my dad isn't with us anymore) and didn't ask permission or whatever but spoke to them about it and showed them my ring; they loved being a part of the excitement and it was really special for them.

Reactions: 18
Asking for parents’ permission is super popular in the UK but it’s definitely just more of a traditional thing. My partner and I have already discussed it and he was relieved to know that I wouldn’t want him to. But I have no relationship with my Dad and he won’t be coming to the wedding, so I guess that’s not a surprise 😂

Reactions: 3
I think it depends on the relationship you have with your parents, but talking to the parents, getting blessing can be quite sweet (talking as a white British woman). My brother asked my sister in laws parents for their blessing and I cried when I heard what he said to them.
He basically said, ‘I love your daughter, I love you and I want to get your blessing to join our families.’ I think it depends on how it’s done. My brother has such a close relationship with his in laws, he genuinely loves them as family. I casually asked him on the phone last night why he felt the need to talk to them before he proposed and he said, it was partly to do with how much he loves and respects my sister in law (his wife) and her family and also because he needed their help to get her in the right place at the right time for the proposal. Plus, the now mother in law had been dropping him hints for about a year on how she would help him organise the proposal and he really loved how excited she was about being involved.
Edit- and at the wedding my sister in law had both her parents walk down the aisle with her- there was a special moment during the ceremony where both my parents and her parents stood at the front with them to show the joining of the families- it was really special x

• Heart
Yeah my brother in law asked blessing of both my parents when he proposed to my sister, still a very modern independent woman. I don't know what was said (private for them) but it's just a gesture of respect, he would have done it either way im sure. It's still mainly the man that proposes, and generally fathers and daughters especially have close relationships and daughters are often the 'baby' of the family. Not always of course.

Anecdotally most women I know changed their surname at work too 🤷‍♂️ guess it just depends on your career, and the individual of course. With Carrie it makes complete sense to keep maiden name.

But at the end of the day it's personal preference for each individual couple, family and it's no body else's business what and how they do things. No one has the right to dictate what everyone should do to fit within a particular social or political viewpoint.

Reactions: 3
It’s honestly not for you to determine someone’s feminism. As someone upthread said, feminism means allowing women to choose what they want to do and what they believe in. You can’t police feminism and it doesn’t have an arbitrary list of dos and donts.
I don’t think Hurrem was picking apart any ones feminism, rather just responding to the fact that the argument wasn’t all that consistent.

The posters who don’t like the tradition of talking to the parents beforehand initiated the conversation picking apart feminism. I totally believe it’s about choice, but if you’re going to pick someone else’s choices apart (in this case, Carrie’s), you should probably be consistent with your own feminist stances. It just doesn’t make sense to slag someone off for following one tradition while on the other hand rationalising a tradition you like as being ‘ok’.

That latest panto picture 😲 I'd be terrified of my tits popping our on stage.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I don’t think Hurrem was picking apart any ones feminism, rather just responding to the fact that the argument wasn’t all that consistent.

The posters who don’t like the tradition of talking to the parents beforehand initiated the conversation picking apart feminism. I totally believe it’s about choice, but if you’re going to pick someone else’s choices apart (in this case, Carrie’s), you should probably be consistent with your own feminist stances. It just doesn’t make sense to slag someone off for following one tradition while on the other hand rationalising a tradition you like as being ‘ok’.
Of course it is. It literally is personal choice. I get so fed up of people being “you’re a bad feminist if you don’t do xyz” Anyway, not saying any more on this. I’ve made my point.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.