Carrie Hope Fletcher #45 He's behind you! (For evermore)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Asking for the parent’s permission before getting engaged to your female partner is like the least feminist thing you can do in my opinion. Why would you ask her parents if you can marry their 29 year old daughter?
It gave me the ick too when he first said it, but apparently it's a british tradition/cultural thing from what other tattlers said 🤷‍♀️ . My parents would laugh at my bf's face if he asked their permission, I'm not a little child or their property. They would probably say no just to see what he would do 😅.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
But shouldn't you talk that through with your partner and not her parents? How is it any of their business? And if a conversation like that is happening, shouldn't it be between the parents and their daughter and not between the parents and the future son in law? Because every implication I can think of is that the woman is not capable of making that choice on her own.
I agree asking permission is silly and outdated but personally I took the “traditional” element of it but just asked my partner to give my dad a heads up. It was in no way that my dad was making that decision for me which is what you’re saying. I’d talked at length with my partner about us getting married and equally my parents knew I wanted to marry him.
But now I have this lovely and quite funny story of this moment of pure happiness between my dad and partner and I absolutely love it.

Everyone’s got different views on it tho so I can see why you feel that way!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The name thing is odd to me because, the way I see it, the name you're born with is the name you'd want to "come home to" because it's the name you've known all your life.

But we all know it's just because women in the public eye build a career under their maiden name (most of the time). She has to put a "romantic" spin on everything. Nothing can be practical for her, even though this marriage of convenience is the most pragmatic and soulless thing she's done in her life. She's transparent.

Reactions: 9
This benefit of having two names thing just smacks of her already trying to disassociate from what is his. She wants to be married, but doesn't want to admit it will be to him. She may as well go the whole hog and have a boyfriend on her Fletcher side.

Reactions: 23
The way Carrie speaks in the live kind of reminds me of the way she spoke to Pete on lives near the end: completely checked out, clearly got the ick and kind of mean. The difference is with Pete it was near the end when she'd clearly fallen for Oliver and didn't want to be with him anymore; they actually had quite palpable chemistry at the start. It's weird for her to be like this with Joel so soon and when they've just got engaged, which is proof to me that she latched onto the nearest interested guy and not someone she's actually into.

It gave me the ick too when he first said it, but apparently it's a british tradition/cultural thing from what other tattlers said 🤷‍♀️ . My parents would laugh at my bf's face if he asked their permission, I'm not a little child or their property. They would probably say no just to see what he would do 😅.
I'm British and married, and if my husband had asked my parents for permission I would have said no on principle. Quite a lot of my friends are married and I don't know one whose partner asked for permission first. It just seems super archaic to me.

Reactions: 20
Again, which is why people don't tend to ask for their in-law's PERMISSION these days. And instead they ask for their BLESSING. Two totally different things because we've moved on with the times.

Although I wonder how many cattle/sheep Bob would've got for Carrie. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 42
The way Carrie speaks in the live kind of reminds me of the way she spoke to Pete on lives near the end: completely checked out, clearly got the ick and kind of mean. The difference is with Pete it was near the end when she'd clearly fallen for Oliver and didn't want to be with him anymore; they actually had quite palpable chemistry at the start. It's weird for her to be like this with Joel so soon and when they've just got engaged, which is proof to me that she latched onto the nearest interested guy and not someone she's actually into.
She spoke to Pete that way even the first few months into their relationship. She always did. Not so much with Oliver - she seemed to respect Oliver more or something. Awful behaviour towards anyone, let alone a partner.

Also: Someone said on the other thread that she had the tacky tree with Pete, too, so it's not Oliver's"fault". That's not true: With Pete she only had the tacky tree. It was just Oliver who apparently disliked it and found it tacky, and that's why she had two trees when she was with him, and his away the Disney one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Two things I'd like to point out: First, Carrie always brands herself as a huge feminist, but Joel mentioned that he asked her parents for permission before proposing to her, because it was the right thing to do or something along these lines.
I find your position very extreme. No, a man doesn't see a woman as a property if he talks to her father (or her parents before proposing). It is a nice thing to do. Of course this is only done when the parents are close, you wouldn't involve your partner's parents (or father) if they had a tit relationship because it would be none of their business.

I'm genuinely curious: are you also against engagement rings as a feminist? Since they're a way for a man to show a woman belongs to him.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
We're witnessing the classic anxious to avoidant flip.

With Oliver Carrie was clearly the anxiously attached one, begging for affection and commitment with Oliver being the avoidant.

When anxiously attached people have their heartbroken they often flip to the other end of the scale and become avoidant, especially if they pair up with someone on the anxious side.

Joel is clearly very anxiously attached; it was obvious from his behavior while she was gone and him "not doing well away from her".

Carrie's unresolved and unhealed trauma from her relationship with Oliver is now manifesting as avoidant attachment with Joel. There was no love behind her eyes in that live. She looked like she was tolerating him at best. He will forever be caught in a cat and mouse game of chasing her for attention and she will love it because she's back in control. It won't end well though. It's a recipe for toxicity.

Reactions: 60
Again, which is why people don't tend to ask for their in-law's PERMISSION these days. And instead they ask for their BLESSING. Two totally different things because we've moved on with the times.
Yes, exactly this. It's more of a cultural ritual rather than actual permission - my husband asked for my mum's blessing before he proposed to me but even if she'd said no it wouldn't have stopped us. (Though there may have been a serious talk between my mum and me!)

It's so interesting to see British cultural norms from an outside perspective and yeah I can totally see why it looks so horrifically antiquated and sexist. 😅

Reactions: 22
Most likely. Emeralds are a soft stone and not recommended for every day wear. Typically it’s why they aren’t suggested for engagement rings (and yes, diamonds being the go to is just clever marketing but there is truth in it because of their hardness)
Already though? She’s not even had it a month! Are they that soft or has she really just not cared for it? I have a friend who has an opal engagement ring that now she just wears for special occasions but until the pandemic and constant need for hand sanitizer she wore daily and it’s still in good condition.

Reactions: 4
Found it interesting she said the other people she was with never made it known they wanted kids with her. Then Joel saying that they’re different because they talk about everything makes it sound like she never knew where she was with say Oliver as he never told her what he wanted (in 5 years!).
Yeah and she also implied she was too young to have realised her other partners not necessarily wanting/being ready for kids might have provided issues later in their future but Carrie definitely WAS thinking about kids and knowing she wanted them with each person—she was literally writing letters to her and Alex Day’s future son, who is she trying to kid!? I think it just always stung her that Oliver clearly wasn’t as enthused about starting a family as she was, whereas Joel very much is.

Reactions: 16
I agree asking permission is silly and outdated but personally I took the “traditional” element of it but just asked my partner to give my dad a heads up. It was in no way that my dad was making that decision for me which is what you’re saying. I’d talked at length with my partner about us getting married and equally my parents knew I wanted to marry him.
But now I have this lovely and quite funny story of this moment of pure happiness between my dad and partner and I absolutely love it.

Everyone’s got different views on it tho so I can see why you feel that way!
I kind of like the traditional element too so asked my now husband to speak to my mum when we discussed getting engaged. As it was he didn’t know he was going to propose to me when he did so phoned her after and was like “Is it okay if I ask Jolly Parsley to marry me?” she was never gonna say no because she loves him so said yes and he was like “Just as well because I’ve already asked her and she’s said yes.” so yeah also got a cute and funny memory from it as well which still makes me laugh!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I can see a scratch on the bottom left corner and a piece missing on the right side above the band. I’d be annoyed if that was my engagement ring after only a few weeks, it looks like it won’t last long.

Is it just the way it’s catching the light or has the stone on her engagement ring already been chipped/scratched?

Reactions: 4
Carrie has always gone from one extreme to the other. Alex Day she was more into, Pete was more into her, Oliver she was more into. She has just landed on the one she’s with around 30 as many people do. I’ve always felt sorry for Joel in this situation. He really likes her and clearly did for a long time and she basically asked him out. He is love struck and so it’s him that hasn’t seen the red flags. He’s just besotted.

Reactions: 14
I just want to throw in with the discussion on whether it’s feminist to ask for the bride’s father’s/parents’ ‘permission’—lots of women still like to be walked down the aisle by their father, and that’s definitely because it’s a nice tradition rather than to symbolise literally being the property of one man given to another. I don’t think it’s harmful and outdated because it’s not a literal thing in the way it once was, but each to their own.

Reactions: 30
I caught up on their live.

So she never FaceTimes but when they reconnected they FaceTimed and ended up talking for hours then carried on messaging each other a few days until she finally got frustrated and demanded of him ‘are you going to ask me out or what’?!

At that point he probably didn’t think he stood a chance so then when she said ASK ME OUT he probably couldn’t believe his luck! But she was obviously desperate and just picked him so she could say she had a boyfriend again.

Found it interesting she said the other people she was with never made it known they wanted kids with her. Then Joel saying that they’re different because they talk about everything makes it sound like she never knew where she was with say Oliver as he never told her what he wanted (in 5 years!).

Tbh, I feel like it’s role reversal and Joel is her while dating Oliver and she’s Oliver just ‘settling’!

I did think he didn’t seem as bad as I had thought him and he is clearly besotted but they seemed more like good friends. There was no chemistry.
She was also drunk with Scott when she texted him that, like the loneliness/horniness really jumped out

Reactions: 18
Imagine being horny for Joel though. My vulva has literally sealed shut at the thought...
Just thinking about his whines and his pouts and sweat dripping down his hairy chest is making my food come up my throat. Sorry for sharing that visual everyone

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
Judging by that live, I'd say they are already in dead bedroom land (or rather - Joel definitely being down to duck and Carrie definitely NOT)

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.