Vigil - BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was kind of reading it as the enemy sub knows there's a UK sub in the area, but maybe can't pin it down exactly. But if they go to the surface they will be traceable so that's why they are trying to avoid doing it. May have totally missed the mark though.

Really enjoyed listening to ShrinePod's recap of the two episodes.
OH is into Vigil and LOD too so we're fond fans of the Shrine Pod - didn't realise they were covering it, we love the Pod!

Reactions: 4
I am finding this drama quite ridiculous. The usual big names on a bbc drama - but the better acting actually comes from the faces I don’t recognise.
There is some really hammy acting going on. I preferred Suranne Jones when she played gritty northern characters, rather than the irritating / overacting Dr Foster type character.
The bloke from Dr Foster (don’t know the actors name) is wooden, but the HR bloke is the most wooden of them all. The delivery of his lines seem so abrupt and a bit odd.

I had a laugh at some of the scenes. The CPR scene was half hearted, and then we have Silva (Suranne Jones) with her magic bag of tricks - performing autopsies (I had three years medical training) along with sprays to detect blood / heroin etc. I’m surprised that she had room for her hair straighteners and make up etc in the little bag.
Then we have Silva shouting murder investigation at every opportunity and demanding to interview witnesses at the most inappropriate moments! It’s all so odd but quite funny.

I don’t know if the lesbian storyline will have any relevance to the plot. I know BBC dramas now make sure they have at least one lesbian couple featured, to tick their diversity boxes. I just wish the relationships in their dramas had some interesting turns or relevance to them.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I am finding this drama quite ridiculous. The usual big names on a bbc drama - but the better acting actually comes from the faces I don’t recognise.
There is some really hammy acting going on. I preferred Suranne Jones when she played gritty northern characters, rather than the irritating / overacting Dr Foster type character.
The bloke from Dr Foster (don’t know the actors name) is wooden, but the HR bloke is the most wooden of them all. The delivery of his lines seem so abrupt and a bit odd.

I had a laugh at some of the scenes. The CPR scene was half hearted, and then we have Silva (Suranne Jones) with her magic bag of tricks - performing autopsies (I had three years medical training) along with sprays to detect blood / heroin etc. I’m surprised that she had room for her hair straighteners and make up etc in the little bag.
Then we have Silva shouting murder investigation at every opportunity and demanding to interview witnesses at the most inappropriate moments! It’s all so odd but quite funny.

I don’t know if the lesbian storyline will have any relevance to the plot. I know BBC dramas now make sure they have at least one lesbian couple featured, to tick their diversity boxes. I just wish the relationships in their dramas had some interesting turns or relevance to them.
Yes!!! On Shrine of Duty they seemed surprised by people texting in like "this is not realistic" but it really is so transparently poorly researched! The first thing my BF pointed out was there wouldn't only be 1 hatch on the sub, there would be 2 in case the first one failed!

The lesbian/bisexual storyline will be significant as Amy Silva reflects on parts of her life and (apparently) realises she does love Kirsten. Suranne Jones said she did research about women who were confused about their sexuality.

Did you guys see Martin Compstons next show is another one set at sea 😂 it’s called The Rig for Amazon prime. Sounds quite good though

Did you guys see Martin Compstons next show is another one set at sea 😂 it’s called The Rig for Amazon prime. Sounds quite good though
The news I want about Martin Compston is when we're going to see him chasing bent coppers again! :cool:

Reactions: 12
The news I want about Martin Compston is when we're going to see him chasing bent coppers again! :cool:
aw yeah same. Weird that they’ve not announced any updates on line of duty. Surely they know by now it they’re doing any more or not

The lesbian/bisexual storyline will be significant as Amy Silva reflects on parts of her life and (apparently) realises she does love Kirsten. Suranne Jones said she did research about women who were confused about their sexuality.
To be honest I really don't care about her love life or how long she has been attracted to her colleague. It has nothing to do with the main story, or with the tragedy which led to her phobia about being trapped underwater.

Reactions: 11
To be honest I really don't care about her love life or how long she has been attracted to her colleague. It has nothing to do with the main story, or with the tragedy which led to her phobia about being trapped underwater.
True but I don’t think the intention is to overshadow the main storyline with her love life it’s more of a sub-plot that links to her past and to make her a rounded character.

Like most police dramas it contains two cliché plot devices: (1) a detective with a traumatic past and (2) glaringly obvious meaningful or shifty looks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
True but I don’t think the intention is to overshadow the main storyline with her love life it’s more of a sub-plot that links to her past and to make her a rounded character.

Like most police dramas it contains two cliché plot devices: (1) a detective with a traumatic past and (2) glaringly obvious meaningful or shifty looks.
I am hoping that by episode three, Silva’s character does become a bit more rounded. I am finding detective Silva hard to relate to on any level at the moment. I don’t know if it’s because I see her as Dr Foster now playing a detective (who seems to be an expert on everything) or if it’s the drama in general.
She needs to stop running around a submarine trying to arrest people anyway 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I am hoping that by episode three, Silva’s character does become a bit more rounded. I am finding detective Silva hard to relate to on any level at the moment. I don’t know if it’s because I see her as Dr Foster now playing a detective (who seems to be an expert on everything) or if it’s the drama in general.
She needs to stop running around a submarine trying to arrest people anyway 😆
What I find an overly convenient plot device is DCI Amy Silva having moderate MH issues but only bringing 3 days meds.

Reactions: 7
What I find an overly convenient plot device is DCI Amy Silva having moderate MH issues but only bringing 3 days meds.
According to previews, she goes on to the sub. for three days but it becomes three weeks. She'll be a basket case by the time she gets back on dry land! o_O

Enjoying it, but noticed there are lots of 'borrowed' plot lines from the submarine film “Hunt for Red October”- death of crew member, problems with the nuclear reactor, a ‘silent submarine’ that couldn’t be tracked and helicoptering in a character on a line to the submarine. In that film, the cook was the saboteur which is interesting as the cook on Vigil looked quite upset 😉

It’s good Kirsten watched LOD and taught Morse Code to Amy. I’m sure this skill will come in handy to help identify the killer before her unfortunate demise. Then all we need is an additional 2 series to solve it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m going to have to watch this alone. My partner works on the subs and he’s talked through every episode about how it’s a load of tit and they are much smaller and going on about working on different parts of the sub 😂

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I’m going to have to watch this alone. My partner works on the subs and he’s talked through every episode about how it’s a load of tit and they are much smaller and going on about working on different parts of the sub 😂
Send him on tea making duties! We don't need that much realism!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Listening to shrine of duty last night and they were talking about how none of them had any idea about the nuclear weapons in Scotland. It actually shocked me. I live on the other side of the water from faslane it terrifies me that it's so close. But I just wondered is this true of most people in the UK, do people not know trident exists?🤔

Reactions: 10
I'm getting so confused at all the names! Don't know who's who. I guessed the book being Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and that the HR guy would be the one to have the dragon tattoo, get me a job on the police 😝

I have some theories: Rose Leslie's boss is working with MI5 to further his career. The grey-haired bloke who turned out to be Jade's dad didn't mention the nationality of Jade's mother.... perhaps she was a Russian and Jade was a spy 👀

The female chef still dodgy as duck.

Reactions: 7