Vigil - BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is just gas!! It's also on topic as Jimmy was in LOD, and we were taking about her with the eyebrows in Vigil. Full circle.

He had a much publicised hair transplant a few years ago. Perhaps he's had his eyebrows done as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Watched the first episode when it aired. Ngl, lost my interest really quickly for some reason

• Wow
This is just gas!! It's also on topic as Jimmy was in LOD, and we were taking about her with the eyebrows in Vigil. Full circle.

Wowsers! How the hell did the One Show presenters manage to keep straight faces? If he's not in the middle of a home tint job right there (and presumably left the slugs on for a laugh/dare) then I'm a bit worried about the man!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
There’s a program on channel 5 tonight at 10pm about life on board a nuclear sub.

I’ve just realised I won’t be able to watch on Sunday 😭 as we’re at the in-laws. Will have to download and watch on the way home on Monday..

• Sad
  • Wow
I’ve just realised I won’t be able to watch on Sunday 😭 as we’re at the in-laws. Will have to download and watch on the way home on Monday..
I've just realised I'll be babysitting at my sisters house and they have a fancy pants smart telly that I cannot for the life of me work out how to use😭

• Haha
  • Sad
Can someone please explain to me why the Captain and XO keep banging on about this enemy sub that is trailing them? We've seen no evidence of it, and I thought in the opening scene that the trawler went down because it hit against the Vigil, not that it was hit on a different sub. I AM SO CONFUSED.

Reactions: 6
Can someone please explain to me why the Captain and XO keep banging on about this enemy sub that is trailing them? We've seen no evidence of it, and I thought in the opening scene that the trawler went down because it hit against the Vigil, not that it was hit on a different sub. I AM SO CONFUSED.
I wondered if there isn’t actually another sub and they’re trying to cover up that they hit the trawler!

Reactions: 8
I wondered if there isn’t actually another sub and they’re trying to cover up that they hit the trawler!
Well that's what I figured but they are all SO insistent that there's another sub... feels like I'm being a bit gas lighted tbh XD

I’ve enjoyed it so far but don’t understand why it’s Police Scotland investigating rather than the MoD Police?
My Dad who was in the military said it was possibly something to do with the seriousness of the offence. But that doesn't make sense either - they hadn't decided it was anything other than an OD (decided by some people who clearly had no idea what heroin is or how it's taken... but that's by the by) until Suranne poked around for a bit.

Reactions: 1
You're not supposed to see/hear an enemy sub, but Vigil knew it wasn't them who had dragged the trawler, and the speed/manner in which it went down meant it could only have been another sub. They couldn't surface to rescue the trawler men because it would reveal their position (nuclear subs are stealthy and meant to be constantly "hidden"). What we don't know is whether the other sub caught the trawler net accidentally in the process of tracking Vigil, or on purpose to try and provoke Vigil into action. Then there's the matter of the other trawler accident that's been mentioned. It's all war games like when Russian planes buzz our borders. Stephen Dillane's character seems dodgy and will probably turn out to be a double agent or something.

Reactions: 15
You're not supposed to see/hear an enemy sub, but Vigil knew it wasn't them who had dragged the trawler, and the speed/manner in which it went down meant it could only have been another sub. They couldn't surface to rescue the trawler men because it would reveal their position. What we don't know is whether the other sub caught the trawler net accidentally or on purpose to try and provoke Vigil into action. Then there's the matter of the other trawler accident that's been mentioned. It's all war games like when Russian planes buzz our borders. Stephen Dillane's character seems dodgy and will probably turn out to be a double agent or something.
Despite being a military brat I am not military minded enough for that kind of thinking :LOL:

Reactions: 4
Okay so this is what I don't get, if there's an enemy sub tracking them, then what does it matter if they go to the surface or not? It's tracking them anyway? Am I missing something?

Okay so this is what I don't get, if there's an enemy sub tracking them, then what does it matter if they go to the surface or not? It's tracking them anyway? Am I missing something?
It's cat and mouse. You never give the enemy an inch. The closer a sub is to the surface, the stronger the sound signature. Once an enemy has a good idea of a sub's sound signature, it is much easier to track them in future, and obviously other subs of the same class. Don't forget the subs are carrying weapons that can be deployed to destroy cities halfway around the world. If an enemy has been allowed to gather information on a sub's identity, sound and location, that is a massive advantage to them in the event of a nuclear war. They can just follow the sub and take it out before the order is given to press the button.

Reactions: 12
I was kind of reading it as the enemy sub knows there's a UK sub in the area, but maybe can't pin it down exactly. But if they go to the surface they will be traceable so that's why they are trying to avoid doing it. May have totally missed the mark though.

Really enjoyed listening to ShrinePod's recap of the two episodes.