Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also UO and the similar to what you said is period poverty.
I just can't work that out when you can buy a pack of own brand pads for less than a pound, or a branded double pack for a pound in shops like Savers.
I think with young girls this comes from them being in a household that doesn’t believe periods are important enough to spend any money on tampons and pads.
Don’t get me started on some pretentious Instagramer saying that Diva cups etc are a better solution for period poverty and more environmentally friendly. I’m 30 and I wouldn’t feel comfortable using a diva cup et al so I doubt a teenager who is already struggling with getting their hands on sanitary products would feel comfortable either.

Reactions: 15
I think with young girls this comes from them being in a household that doesn’t believe periods are important enough to spend any money on tampons and pads.
Don’t get me started on some pretentious Instagramer saying that Diva cups etc are a better solution for period poverty and more environmentally friendly. I’m 30 and I wouldn’t feel comfortable using a diva cup et al so I doubt a teenager who is already struggling with getting their hands on sanitary products would feel comfortable either.
I thought sanitary products were free in schools and certain supermarkets were onboard with this too ,is it not the same throughout the Uk ?

Reactions: 2
I thought sanitary products were free in schools and certain supermarkets were onboard with this too ,is it not the same throughout the Uk ?
Thats a good point, and to be honest I’m not sure if this is throughout the U.K., but I think maybe there could also be a social stigma attached to them with some communities that’s why they don’t buy them so that’s why I think it’s great the girls can get it free at school.

Reactions: 4
Thats a good point, and to be honest I’m not sure if this is throughout the U.K., but I think maybe there could also be a social stigma attached to them with some communities that’s why they don’t buy them so that’s why I think it’s great the girls can get it free at school.
Am I the only one who can't get their head around reusable sanitary products. I know they're better for the environment, but I just can't! 🙈

Reactions: 12
This was me growing up. I forgot to flush the loo once when I was on my period and my mum screamed through the whole house that someone had bled in the toilet. I used to have to write notes and slip them under the door to ask her to buy me pads. It was a very very very prudish house.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Am I the only one who can't get their head around reusable sanitary products. I know they're better for the environment, but I just can't! 🙈
For spotting or when you are due on or that last day where there is a chance something will come out but you're not heavy enough for a tampon (I.e. days you would normally wear a liner) period pants are amazing and I wouldn't use anything else.

Primark sells period underwear and it's quite good, it's not super cheap but it's more affordable tham buying pads every month.

I guess I'm lucky. 95p for a pack of normal with wings and that see's me through each month.

Reactions: 5
Primark sells period underwear and it's quite good, it's not super cheap but it's more affordable tham buying pads every month.
I love them! Mine are really light now so they are perfect.

I guess I'm lucky. 95p for a pack of normal with wings and that see's me through each month.
My skin is SO sensitive, pads were awful! So id end up having to get more expensive ones

Reactions: 1
This was me growing up. I forgot to flush the loo once when I was on my period and my mum screamed through the whole house that someone had bled in the toilet. I used to have to write notes and slip them under the door to ask her to buy me pads. It was a very very very prudish house.
I had exactly the same experience 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
How do you wash them ? and how often ?
I wear mine overnight or for the day, rinse them in the shower and then wash them in the machine. They do take ages to dry which is the only annoying thing, other than that I love mine!

How do you wash them ? and how often ?
After every use and obvs period pants aren't for heavy days. They have to be washed in cold water or 30degrees otherwise they loose their absorbency

I used to be grossed out about re-usable period products until I tried re-usable pads. They are made from cotton or bamboo so more breathable and it's not actually as gross as you thing

Reactions: 3
After every use and obvs period pants aren't for heavy days. They have to be washed in cold water or 30degrees otherwise they loose their absorbency

I used to be grossed out about re-usable period products until I tried re-usable pads. They are made from cotton or bamboo so more breathable and it's not actually as gross as you thing
I can wear mine on heavy days. I have some for heavy flow and some for medium. I’m a recent convert, probably nearly a year since I got them, but I’m sold!

Reactions: 2
Woman should have the option to get their tubes tied for free to stop periods, or there should be something you can do to permanently make your eggs shrivel up and die 😐 periods are vile things,
Because of health issues I haven’t had one in years and I’d rather get my womb removed than put up with that crap again.

I can’t get on board with reusable anything 🤢

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Woman should have the option to get their tubes tied for free to stop periods, or there should be something you can do to permanently make your eggs shrivel up and die 😐 periods are vile things,
Because of health issues I haven’t had one in years and I’d rather get my womb removed than put up with that crap again.

I can’t get on board with reusable anything 🤢
Having your tubes tied doesn't stop menstruation. Only a fully hysterectomy does and it's extremely rare that you will ever get either on the NHS unless it's absolutely necessary. Tube tying isn't even a particularly effective contraception either and requires written agreement from 2 consultants in the UK. I tried and was refused by 3!

Reactions: 3
Having your tubes tied doesn't stop menstruation. Only a fully hysterectomy does and it's extremely rare that you will ever get either on the NHS unless it's absolutely necessary. Tube tying isn't even a particularly effective contraception either and requires written agreement from 2 consultants in the UK. I tried and was refused by 3!
Oh I didn’t know this!
maybe there should just be a plug you can shove up there 😕 can’t science come up with something that makes it’s all come out in one go or something…

there is nothing “empowering” about bleeding or breastfeeding. 😐

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
Oh I didn’t know this!
maybe there should just be a plug you can shove up there 😕 can’t science come up with something that makes it’s all come out in one go or something…

there is nothing “empowering” about bleeding or breastfeeding. 😐
I often say I wish there was a pill or injection or something to start it when you need it and stop it when you no longer do. The fact that women have to put up with it all for somewhere around 35 years is just a ridiculous design fault 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.