Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The reason why they do this is because they don't want the responsibility of you changing your mind later on. Apparently we women don't know our own minds at all and of course all 3 consultants were...drum roll please...MALE!

And yet kids are being given mastectomies if they decide one day that they're now male. bleeping absurd.

Re- periods. As someone who is perimenopausal, I am relieved that my periods are petering out. I had VERY heavy periods back in the day and had to use tons of towels, mooncups and tampons didn't touch the sides. I didn't want to go on the pill for various reasons so I can see why period poverty is very much a 'thing'.

Reactions: 10
I agree it is wrong that women without children are deemed not to be capable of making their own decisions about it and have an elective sterilisation. Similarly that we are not considered capable to say in a hospital that we do not want pregnancy testing and are happy to go ahead with treatment without it. The assumption being any woman of "reproductive age", which is defined very loosely (from ages 10 to 55 or so) could be pregnant at any time and if she is, she will always want to keep the child

Reactions: 5
Oh I didn’t know this!
maybe there should just be a plug you can shove up there 😕 can’t science come up with something that makes it’s all come out in one go or something…

there is nothing “empowering” about bleeding or breastfeeding. 😐
Now, I’m not one to care about reactions but I want to understand why this is getting angry faces 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
How do you wash them ? and how often ?
I only use it for my heaviest night. When I wake up I clean it in the sink and then put it in the washing machine. It's very convenient because you have no chance of leaking as the absorvent part covers a big part of the underwear.

Reactions: 2
When I was in secondary school a girl I knew was given 2 sanitary towels per day from her mum. We'd have given her some of ours if she asked but she was often too embarrassed to ask. It wasn't the case that she was asking for chocolate or new knickers every time she leaked, she just wanted enough products to see her through her period.

In school I think sanitary products should be given no questions asked to help people like her who had no means of buying their own. It's not always a case of mismanaging money.
my secondary school in the early 2000’s always gave us girls sanitary products. My mum provided them for me and all that, but as a teen you are often irregular, so at time’s it would happen in school with no warning. We would go to reception and they would give you as many as you needed. I thought all secondary schools did that 🤨

Reactions: 1
I only use it for my heaviest night. When I wake up I clean it in the sink and then put it in the washing machine. It's very convenient because you have no chance of leaking as the absorvent part covers a big part of the underwear.
I'm not sure I could cope with them .I like to change pads frequently the thought of wearing them for that length of time and then handwashing 🤢😂...I'm probably just over thinking them and they're great ,just not for me.

I think with young girls this comes from them being in a household that doesn’t believe periods are important enough to spend any money on tampons and pads.
Don’t get me started on some pretentious Instagramer saying that Diva cups etc are a better solution for period poverty and more environmentally friendly. I’m 30 and I wouldn’t feel comfortable using a diva cup et al so I doubt a teenager who is already struggling with getting their hands on sanitary products would feel comfortable either.
The other problem with period cups and non-disposable options is that they are not suitable for homeless women. They have no fixed abode, no dedicated facility to wash cloth pads or sterilise any mooncups. In fact, they'd be at greater risk of getting an infection if they were all give mooncups to use as do not have the ability or facilities to clean them.

When we are providing services for hot meals from the homeless in Dublin city centre, I'm always alarmed about the amount of women who come looking for the pads/tampons :(

• Sad
Reactions: 9
my secondary school in the early 2000’s always gave us girls sanitary products. My mum provided them for me and all that, but as a teen you are often irregular, so at time’s it would happen in school with no warning. We would go to reception and they would give you as many as you needed. I thought all secondary schools did that 🤨
I think a lot but not all do. There are schemes but it isn't mandatory. I left school 17 years ago and it wasn't really a thing then.

But seems like we are both agreeing that sanitary products should be more accessible?

Sorry ,but I think if the gov provide free period products it should be to those that genuinely need them .I think the NHS workers are well able to afford them ,do what the rest of us do bring a pack to work 🙄

Reactions: 16
The other problem with period cups and non-disposable options is that they are not suitable for homeless women. They have no fixed abode, no dedicated facility to wash cloth pads or sterilise any mooncups. In fact, they'd be at greater risk of getting an infection if they were all give mooncups to use as do not have the ability or facilities to clean them.

When we are providing services for hot meals from the homeless in Dublin city centre, I'm always alarmed about the amount of women who come looking for the pads/tampons :(
this is why when I can afford to give to foodbanks I always give non food items including sanitary items because you know other stuff is essential too

I think a lot but not all do. There are schemes but it isn't mandatory. I left school 17 years ago and it wasn't really a thing then.

But seems like we are both agreeing that sanitary products should be more accessible?
I remember being surprised when going to the football and finding a basket with tampons and pads in by the ladies loo sinks .is that just my club?

Sorry ,but I think if the gov provide free period products it should be to those that genuinely need them .I think the NHS workers are well able to afford them ,do what the rest of us do bring a pack to work 🙄
That article isn’t saying that sanitary products should be provided for NHS staff because they can’t afford them though, it’s saying there should be sanitary products in staff toilets as staff often work in different areas of the hospital far away from their belongings so don’t always have access to their own pads.
When I worked in the NHS, my job involved going all over the hospital, and to be fair, the only time I was near my belongings was on lunch breaks and my uniform didn’t really have pockets where I could discreetly store sanitary products. Luckily I never got caught short and started my period without warning, but I think it’s a smart idea to put pads / tampons in all the staff toilets in case people do.

Reactions: 8
My secondary school(I was there 01-06) kept a small supply of sanitary products but it was more intended as a in case of emergency situation rather than providing a regular supply that would last someone their entire period on a monthly basis.

More does need to be done to combat period poverty and I am seeing more places provide items for free(Man City have free items at their stadium) but things like pain relief doesn’t have to cost the Earth though unbranded/supermarket brand are around 50p or less (b&m have paracetamol for 29p) same goes for chocolate if you’re really craving it. I’m sure you can still get Sainsbury’s/Asda basics line chocolate for 40p. I do think a big part of the issue is money mismanagement you can theoretically supply yourself with pain relief and protection for as little as £1.50/£2 a month.

Reactions: 10
I guess it could be taken that you're belittling aspects of womanhood such as periods or breastfeeding.
yawn….. go cry/bleed/milk yourself in a cotton wool padded room 😐

sorry I’m gonna say it,
Anything reusable is manky 😂😂 it’s like reusable toilet paper. Just bin that tit. Or flush.
Literally.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
That article isn’t saying that sanitary products should be provided for NHS staff because they can’t afford them though, it’s saying there should be sanitary products in staff toilets as staff often work in different areas of the hospital far away from their belongings so don’t always have access to their own pads.
When I worked in the NHS, my job involved going all over the hospital, and to be fair, the only time I was near my belongings was on lunch breaks and my uniform didn’t really have pockets where I could discreetly store sanitary products. Luckily I never got caught short and started my period without warning, but I think it’s a smart idea to put pads / tampons in all the staff toilets in case people do.
In Scotland at least most public sector workplaces have free period products in toilets, not only hospitals, offices etc too. Both male and female toilets.

I know it’s not stating that but it’s implying they should be free, I don’t think they should be, there’s plenty of NHS staff sit around nursing stations etc doing bugger all and are well able to reach their belongings ,if they think it’s going to be a long time before they can access a pad put extra on before they start their shift or better still go to primark and stock up on period pants 😂 I’ve no problem with vending machines being installed as long as they’re a charge like the public have to pay .

Reactions: 3
I think if someone kills someone driving drunk they should be charged with murder and never let out of prison.
I’ve heard of people getting like 5 years and it’s a joke. Should be treated a lot harsher. It is similar to manslaughter. You might not set out to kill someone but it is you that caused their death through your own actions.

If you drive when you’re drunk you are putting other people at risk. The entitlement of drunk drivers is essentially - It probably won’t happen to me and I wouldn’t get caught so might as well. I don’t care if you’re the best driver in the world, the rules still apply to you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s an unnecessary risk-either drink a Coke and drive or get a taxi. Why do they feel so entitled to put others at risk. If they’re old enough drink and to drive they’re old enough to KNOW alcohol impacts people,

Also I do think they should lose their licence for a period after they are released though and if they want it back they have to take driving lessons, test and all that again. If they have a driving offence after this then they lose it permanently- although if they drink drive, kill someone, get banned once and then still commit motoring offences then they’ll probably still drive without a licence.

Reactions: 7
yawn….. go cry/bleed/milk yourself in a cotton wool padded room 😐

sorry I’m gonna say it,
Anything reusable is manky 😂😂 it’s like reusable toilet paper. Just bin that tit. Or flush.
Literally.
Me? 🤣 I didn't angry react to your post. Just saying how it could have been perceived as you asked in your last post.

Not everything reusable is manky. Do you throw away your knicks after each use?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.