Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bank adverts in general are annoying af. That Lloyds one with the horse and the stupid song, the TSB one with David Schwimmer (why???). They can all duck off trying to act like they’re our friends the greedy bastards.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Yeah it's like discussing pedalo's. It takes on a life of its own.

Note to mods: Not trying to moderate but if anyone wants to discuss Brexit per se, shall we open a specific thread?
There’s a U.K. Politics thread - might be helpful for Brexit discussions to go there if a new thread isn’t needed?

Reactions: 3
I love that clip of the guy spoofing British adverts, makes me think of all those cringey bank adverts especially. "1% off all mattress orders over a million pounds" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Talking of HSBC adverts. The 1 with Richard “we are not an island”. Regardless of if you voted B or R or think we’re part of a 1 world global system etc
We are an island ffs!! Sea all around. Island 🤣
That’s always pissed me off
Virtue signalling
I detest it for the same reason.

Reactions: 2
UO when you can buy a toothbrush, toothpaste and a bar of soap that last a month plus and have change from £1.50 I struggle to believe that genuine hygiene poverty in children is a widespread as reported. In some cases it’s bad parenting.

I do accept that good clothes washing & drying facilities are beyond the reach of an awful lot of people.

Reactions: 24
UO when you can buy a toothbrush, toothpaste and a bar of soap that last a month plus and have change from £1.50 I struggle to believe that genuine hygiene poverty in children is a widespread as reported. In some cases it’s bad parenting.

I do accept that good clothes washing & drying facilities are beyond the reach of an awful lot of people.
Agree.

also some parents just don’t care and let their child go to school without making sure they’ve done these things,

Reactions: 14
Is it the lesbians who annoy you or the ugly baby.
neither its the fact that its got naff all to do with banking..

agreed. we dont have a washing machine and havent since the last one broke over 10 yrs ago... we cannot afford to replace it . nor can we afford the busfares, washing machine and dryer facilities at our local laundrette where a load without cost of detergents etc costs about £14£ when you factor in the 6 quid on bus fares. Anything white or light coloured is out of the question as you just can't get them looking decent washing in a small bathroom sink. Towels and bedding cannot go in the sink so we have to save up and use our rare laundrette visits for those

WE do however wash, clean teeth and shower on a regular basis despite being 2 non partnered adults with only one with income

Last edited:
Reactions: 5

agreed. we dont have a washing machine and havent since the last one broke over 10 yrs ago... we cannot afford to replace it . nor can we afford the busfares, washing machine and dryer facilities at our local laundrette where a load without cost of detergents etc costs about £14£ when you factor in the 6 quid on bus fares. Anything white or light coloured is out of the question as you just can't get them looking decent washing in a small bathroom sink. Towels and bedding cannot go in the sink so we have to save up and use our rare laundrette visits for those

WE do however wash, clean teeth and shower on a regular basis despite being 2 non partnered adults with only one with income
See and I have an old spare washing machine in the garage (the spin is a bit crap, you have to run the spin twice) - but you’ve made me think, when I have the chance I will advertise it for free.

I read an article some time ago that said 1/5 of the parents questioned said their kids wore the same underwear for 2 days running.
To me you can rinse a pair of kids pants in the sink and they dry without too much trouble but maybe this is where I get into the privileged of having heating that would dry clothes.

Teeth cleaning and general hygiene is definitely parental. So many adults have disgusting grey teeth and they didn't develop those as actual adults.

Reactions: 11

Also UO and the similar to what you said is period poverty.
I just can't work that out when you can buy a pack of own brand pads for less than a pound, or a branded double pack for a pound in shops like Savers.

I've been skint, like properly on my arse skint, but I brought own brand pads.
In fact I lived on own brand or value everything during that time. Having no money doesn't mean you need to be unhygienic, it means you go without one thing to afford another.
That chocolate bar is your feminine hygiene that's week, or the bar of soap is your packet of crisps

Reactions: 16
Talking of HSBC adverts. The 1 with Richard “we are not an island”. Regardless of if you voted B or R or think we’re part of a 1 world global system etc
We are an island ffs!! Sea all around. Island 🤣
That’s always pissed me off
Virtue signalling
Its probs from the line "no man is an island."

Reactions: 1

That's awful 😞 are there no charities that do good quality 2nd hand or free? I've heard of some that do that or maybe you don't want to do that? You shouldn't have to do without basics in 2022.

Reactions: 4
That's awful 😞 are there no charities that do good quality 2nd hand or free? I've heard of some that do that or maybe you don't want to do that? You shouldn't have to do without basics in 2022.
Not re op’s situation which I don’t know but….
British heart foundation around us have washing machines for around £50. You can hire one for about £6/week but I’d imagine there’s some kind of deposit and they use a lot of electricity & water. Then there’s drying which requires decent heating and ventilation or The cost of electric at the moment it’s about £4 to tumble dry a load on a meter. I can understand how it’s really difficult.

Was it this thread where people were saying ‘life’s too short to count the pennies, I don’t pay attention’? The reality for a lot of people is febreeze and a damp sponge.

I just can't work that out when you can buy a pack of own brand pads for less than a pound, or a branded double pack for a pound in shops like Savers.

In fact I lived on own brand or value everything during that time. Having no money doesn't mean you need to be unhygienic, it means you go without one thing to afford another.
That chocolate bar is your feminine hygiene that's week, or the bar of soap is your packet of crisps
It’s a matter of priority I’ve always thought:
But then there was a lady on another forum that had 3 daughters so lots of sanitary products but talked of being so broke she stuffed tissue from work in her knickers. I can’t fathom that level of broke when you’ve got a job but she said that basically using tissue was free and kind of worked whereas there wasn’t an option for free food.

aww thanks.. i did see some cheap ones back when it first broke but we no longer have our plumber friend to assist in installing nor any access to a vehicle to transport.. neither of us drive so hiring is not an option.. thank you so much for your empathy and post though.. brought a smile x

• Heart
Reactions: 8

You could always kill two birds with one stone and throw the kids in with the economy wash 🤷‍♀️ I'm sure the taste of Surf tropical lily & ylang ylang is lovely and a nice change from the dry bread and water ;)

• Haha

I had years of handwashing clothes in the sink years ago so although not ideal nowadays, it's perfectly acceptable to stay clean. Drying clothing can be a problem if poor, as they might be in a hostel, or rented room digs etc

Reactions: 3
It’s a matter of priority I’ve always thought:
But then there was a lady on another forum that had 3 daughters so lots of sanitary products but talked of being so broke she stuffed tissue from work in her knickers. I can’t fathom that level of broke when you’ve got a job but she said that basically using tissue was free and kind of worked whereas there wasn’t an option for free food.
Food isn't free, but it can be cheap. You can make a family meal for £5. I know that's a lot even you don't have it, but there are ways to cut costs.

Even with 4 women in the house you could still buy sanitary wear for less than £10, and that's me being generous that they all go through 2 packs of pads a month each. It's a little over that if each go through 3 packs each.

How did she afford nappies at five times the cost a pack if she can't afford period supplies? It just makes no sense to me

Reactions: 6
Food isn't free, but it can be cheap. You can make a family meal for £5. I know that's a lot even you don't have it, but there are ways to cut costs.

Even with 4 women in the house you could still buy sanitary wear for less than £10, and that's me being generous that they all go through 2 packs of pads a month each. It's a little over that if each go through 3 packs each.

How did she afford nappies at five times the cost a pack if she can't afford period supplies? It just makes no sense to me
I think her husband left her in the tit so things didn’t get that bad until after nappies and I believe things eventually improved.
It didn’t make sense to be tbh don’t know if it was even real but you take people at their word on a forum don’t you. Personally, I think I’d find a way to get proper products but I’ve never been in that situation so 🤷🏼‍♀️

If anyone reading is in that situation my local library is doing free bags of sanitary, hygiene or warm wear supplies, no questions asked. Don’t know if it’s national.

we no longer have our plumber friend to assist in installing nor any access to a vehicle to transport.. neither of us drive so hiring is not an option..
Just to say, if it’s an option, hughes electrical deliver and install for free. It’s the price you see plus a £25-30 admin fee one off.
They’ve washing machines for £3/wk.
(I just checked as my Nan had one from them and she ain’t driving or plumbing 😂)

Sorry to derail

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

I 100% agree. I have bought re-usable pads for green reasons and they work very well and would be perfect if you are always skint. For obvious reasons they need to be washed in cold water so you can't even complain that they need to go in a washing machine because I hand wash mine.

I also have a mooncup, which fair enough is a bit of an outlay, but it's better for the vajayjay and the environment

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.