Toxic friends

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Bobbleowl90 I would agree with @Happyvalley and ask them outright what's happened. They could go on torturing you with the passive aggressive stuff for months on end. Even if it's a bad outcome at least it's closure and you can move on. People are weird eh.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@Happyvalley @Warpaint thank you both. I know if I asked them then it wouldn’t be nice. I know they want me to delete them off social media before they delete me - that way they can say it’s me who’s the bad guy and stopped talking to them and “can you believe she deleted us” etc etc. Neither of them like my stuff or hire my stories anyway. It’s like I’ve been ghosted. They’ve even booted me from their group chat now. I’ve been in tears again this morning after seeing them conversing with my hairdresser on Facebook and I feel ridiculous but I’m panicking going now and looking elsewhere after going for the past 15 years. I can’t believe how they’ve made me feel.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
@Happyvalley @Warpaint thank you both. I know if I asked them then it wouldn’t be nice. I know they want me to delete them off social media before they delete me - that way they can say it’s me who’s the bad guy and stopped talking to them and “can you believe she deleted us” etc etc. Neither of them like my stuff or hire my stories anyway. It’s like I’ve been ghosted. They’ve even booted me from their group chat now. I’ve been in tears again this morning after seeing them conversing with my hairdresser on Facebook and I feel ridiculous but I’m panicking going now and looking elsewhere after going for the past 15 years. I can’t believe how they’ve made me feel.
Could you ask them why you've been booted out of the group chat?

Ive had this happen to me before with work colleagues. All it takes is one toxic person to create this.

Reactions: 3
Could you ask them why you've been booted out of the group chat?

Ive had this happen to me before with work colleagues. All it takes is one toxic person to create this.
Before they did it, they said it was to create more memory on their phones. It was just a lie and an excuse to get rid of me. It is friend 1 who is the instigator in all of this and has split the whole friendship up, including my husband and his best friend. She is coming out of it smelling of roses. My manager at work has seen me in tears and suggested that perhaps I know too much about her, for example I know she’s lying about her “new job” but friend 2 thinks she’s got this different life and she can play up to it now. So it’s like a new life she can lie about. Which makes some sense really but it doesn’t make it easier. She also said there’s some jealousy. I got a new coat, so did she. I got some boots which she specifically said she disliked but she copied me. I tagged myself somewhere on Instagram and two days later she tagged friend 2 and said let’s go here on our family day together (another dig at me). It’s making me depressed. I wish I never met her. But knowing she might be jealous or whatever, it doesn’t make it any easier. Everyone thinks she’s perfect and it’s me who’s the one left with no friends.

Sorry - I sound so miserable! I just feel like I’ve regressed to being a teenager again. I feel bullied.

• Sad
Before they did it, they said it was to create more memory on their phones. It was just a lie and an excuse to get rid of me. It is friend 1 who is the instigator in all of this and has split the whole friendship up, including my husband and his best friend. She is coming out of it smelling of roses. My manager at work has seen me in tears and suggested that perhaps I know too much about her, for example I know she’s lying about her “new job” but friend 2 thinks she’s got this different life and she can play up to it now. So it’s like a new life she can lie about. Which makes some sense really but it doesn’t make it easier. She also said there’s some jealousy. I got a new coat, so did she. I got some boots which she specifically said she disliked but she copied me. I tagged myself somewhere on Instagram and two days later she tagged friend 2 and said let’s go here on our family day together (another dig at me). It’s making me depressed. I wish I never met her. But knowing she might be jealous or whatever, it doesn’t make it any easier. Everyone thinks she’s perfect and it’s me who’s the one left with no friends.

Sorry - I sound so miserable! I just feel like I’ve regressed to being a teenager again. I feel bullied.
I’m so sorry they are being so horrible to you. Covid is such a hard time anyway but when people behave that way it would certainly make it more difficult. If it was me I would block them out for the sake of my own mental health. I wouldn’t put anything on social media at all, you don’t want to give friend 1 any ammo because is clearly on one 🙄 it will drive her mad when she can’t snoop at what you’re doing and pick holes in it lol take a social media break and focus on doing some nice things for yourself. I know it’s easy for me to say, but they really don’t deserve your friendship. Friend 1 sounds extremely passive aggressive and jealous. If you cut her out, she won’t be long redirecting these feelings towards someone else xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Don't be sorry, there's no need for it, if she had a problem with you she should have faced that. My advice would be to log out of social media for a while and focus on the good people, it will do you the world of good.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Something similar happened to me. I deactivated my social media for a few months and just didn’t rise to it - within that time they turned on each other instead and it made one realise that the other was actually so toxic and a bully. We’re actually better friends now because of it and the other has been cut out of many peoples lives due to their behaviour and their lies. It’s hard and I know it’s hard to being thrown back into teenage bullying, but removing yourself is for the best.

Don't be sorry, there's no need for it, if she had a problem with you she should have faced that. My advice would be to log out of social media for a while and focus on the good people, it will do you the world of good.
I second this. Step away from it (easier said than done, I know), and focus on life in the real world.

• Heart
Something similar happened to me. I deactivated my social media for a few months and just didn’t rise to it - within that time they turned on each other instead and it made one realise that the other was actually so toxic and a bully. We’re actually better friends now because of it and the other has been cut out of many peoples lives due to their behaviour and their lies. It’s hard and I know it’s hard to being thrown back into teenage bullying, but removing yourself is for the best.
What you've said is so true. Reacting to them almost feeds it whereas when you leave them to it they start on each other.

They are acting like teenage bullies. They can’t even be big enough to tell you the truth about the WhatsApp group and resort to lying about storage? That’s ridiculous. I know it’s difficult but block them on everything, what you can’t see can’t hurt you. It will take time but will definitely get easier. When they turn on each other they’ll realise what they’ve done.

• Heart
I really wouldn't worry about the hairdresser thing. 95% of their job is hearing people witch about this and that (not taking anything away from being a hairdresser, you know what I mean!). Your hairdressing isn't going to care about them or what they've said. You'll be treated the same as always. I highly doubt she's personally involved with them two, the chat is to keep up the business.

• Heart
They sound jealous to me.Do you think they have made other group chats without you?They seem to be petty by keeping you on a chat but not messaging you.Do not let those witches put you off your hairdresser.No way.Would it help if your hubby spoke about it with hers?Sometimes men can be useful in these situations.

• Heart

I feel so sorry for you right now, I have been there myself and the feeling is awful. Have it out with them, ask what it is you have done and then if they can't give you an answer or make no attempt to resolve the issues then you are done, you remove yourself from the situation and you take yourself off their social media etc. You will only torture yourself otherwise and you will just feel worse. Time to put your mental health first here. Friend 1 will soon change her tune when she realises she isn't getting to you anymore, when you can't see her posts, likes, tags etc, it will really wind her up. Toxic people are all the same. It won't feel like it now but you will thank yourself down the line for removing yourself away from so called friends like that and you will start to feel happy again. They aren't friends. xo

• Heart
Hi everyone,
Sorry that I haven't read through the thread as yet but needed some advice and a bit of a rant.
So I have a friend, she's like a sister to me, we've had a on off friendship for years now, but the last three years we've been water tight.
I helped get through a really toxic relationship and it took about 12 months to get her semi back on her feet.
So the last few weeks she completely dropped off the radar apart taking advantage of my softer side.
This is because she's let this guy back into her life.
She's asking big favours of me then doesn't make contact again. I've also caught her out on many lies.
I feel sad that as soon as she's segregated herself and binned off all her friends this guy will return to his old ways.
The fact that she's using me, lying and basically being an arse I've decided to step away. I feel really sad about this as I love her to bits. But also feel like I'm not going through another 12 months of piecing her back together.
This bloke also hates her son, he's told her this, yet she's still allowing him in their home.
He's tapped in the head and I wouldn't trust him around any children. He has episodes where he gets confrontational and starts threatening to cut his wrists etc.
She's very good at cutting out her friends for men, which is a shame. I feel she'll end up very sad and lonely.
Just needed to vent

• Sad
Hi everyone,
Sorry that I haven't read through the thread as yet but needed some advice and a bit of a rant.
So I have a friend, she's like a sister to me, we've had a on off friendship for years now, but the last three years we've been water tight.
I helped get through a really toxic relationship and it took about 12 months to get her semi back on her feet.
So the last few weeks she completely dropped off the radar apart taking advantage of my softer side.
She's asking big favours of me then doesn't make contact again. I've also caught her out on many lies.
I feel sad that as soon as she's segregated herself and binned off all her friends this guy will return to his old ways.
The fact that she's using me, lying and basically being an arse I've decided to step away. I feel really sad about this as I love her to bits. But also feel like I'm not going through another 12 months of piecing her back together.
This bloke also hates her son, he's told her this, yet she's still allowing him in their home.
He's tapped in the head and I wouldn't trust him around any children. He has episodes where he gets confrontational and starts threatening to cut his wrists etc.
She's very good at cutting out her friends for men, which is a shame. I feel she'll end up very sad and lonely.
Just needed to vent
Perhaps step away for good then and leave her to it. Don't let yourself be used, you're better off with other friends or with family. Her drama with this man isn't your problem.

Perhaps step away for good then and leave her to it. Don't let yourself be used, you're better off with other friends or with family. Her drama with this man isn't your problem.
As sad as it is, I think this is the way forward. I know she'll keep me on the back bench, with the odd message here and there for when it goes wrong, or if she's got a bit of spare time she needs filling.
I did a favour this evening for her then said shall I pop round for coffee later, but she declined as he was heading to hers.
Ahh such a shame isn't it. But going to move forward from here now, I'll be civil but nothing more. Her loss not mine.

I was going to start my own thread for this but figured this existed and it can go here, but it is quite lengthy.

Some users will have seen me post previously about a friendship circle I was having issues with. This was a few weeks ago and I’m really, really struggling to come to terms with it.

There were three of us. I introduced the other two to each other and they weren’t friends before I introduced them, so I was always the one who organised things etc. I introduced them as I was getting married and they were both my bridesmaids so I wanted them to be friends. All was well until about six months ago really. Friend 1 (who I have known the longest) just suddenly stopped liking anything I put on social media. We got married abroad (they ultimately weren’t part of the wedding due to covid) and she didn’t even like all my wedding photos. My hen do was cancelled and they didn’t make any effort for the “pretend” hen do that I had. It was crap. No photos were put online but a week later friend 1 went for drinks with other friends she barely knows and it was plastered all over social media. It made me feel crappy, like I’m not worthy or something. Maybe it’s me being paranoid, I don’t know. We had a group chat and when my husband and I went on honeymoon, it was around then that anything I said in this group chat, it just got ignored. But they would both speak amongst themselves but ignore me.

Constant little digs - I used to let my baby fall asleep on me and put him down in his cot. Friend 2 would drive her baby in the car every single night then transfer to bed. To me, that’s the strangest of the two methods. But friend 1 would question me in the group chat as to why I did it that way, but act like driving a baby to sleep was completely normal. I bought my wedding ring and sent a photo and got told it wasn’t nice and she preferred plain ones. Because hers is plain. I booked an outdoor meal in an igloo type tent for my babies first birthday and got told it was rubbish. I had my covid vaccine and got told she wouldn’t have it even if she was offered it.

Friend 1 hates her job. I love mine. She began a volunteer role but told friend 2 it was a paid role. She had already told me it was voluntary. Friend 2 suggested she quit her job now as she had another but she let her believe she had two jobs and two wages. I could have said something, but I didn’t.

I arranged to meet friend 1 one day and she stood me up. I had printed some interview papers for her especially. I rang her and she didn’t answer so I went back home. She told me it was too cold and she couldn’t wait any longer for me. I had arrived on time. A few days later she asked if she could collect the papers from me and I said I had binned them. “I would never do that to a friend” was her reply and she made a big deal in the group chat of friend 2 husband dropping them off for her instead. Whenever I asked to meet up with friend 1 she was always “so, so busy” or seeing other friends. She always made a point of how she was seeing so and so this week and how she had so many friends.

It was my birthday and we always, always buy cards and presents. This year I got nothing. Absolutely nothing. Two weeks later it was friend 1 birthday and she got a card and a present off friend 2. That really, really hurt me.

I asked friend 2 to meet up and she said we can’t because of covid. Yet a week later she met friend 1. They asked if we would all like to meet a week later and I said yes. Nothing got mentioned and I assumed it wasn’t happening. But low and behold that day, they had met and plastered it on social media. I had had enough so I asked why they had met and they said they didn’t think I was going. We haven’t spoke since.

I’m really struggling. I don’t know what I’ve done wrong. I’ve been pushed aside and forgotten about. Since then, they tag each other in everything on Instagram. I know it’s for my benefit and to make me feel like tit but it’s working. I don’t want to be friends with people like this but it’s really damaged me. Friend 2 I met because our husbands were best friends since kids. Her husband hasn’t been in touch with mine for weeks now either. I have gone to bed for the past month and just cried. It’s effecting my relationship and I feel like I’ve been thrown back to high school as something very similar happened to me back then too. I never thought it would happen again in my 30’s. Friend 2 owns a business and I noticed she is now friends on Facebook with my hairdresser and commenting on her things. I honestly now want to cancel my appointment with my hairdresser. My husband says I’m being daft, but they’ve effected me in a way I didn’t think was possible to damage me so much. I don’t understand why somebody would want to hurt me so much and I don’t know what lies she is telling people as to why we don’t speak no more.

I have a couple of other friends but not loads. These were my “best” friends and I feel so hurt and destroyed.

Sorry it’s long and thanks if you’ve read it all. There’s probably loads more to add but I’d be here all night.
Wow I’m only half way reading this and OH MY GOD. You poor thing!!! You do not deserve any of this!! Friend 1 is a horrendous human being. You wrote it so well. I have lost 2 friendships like you have and mine was pretty bad but your story is something else😭 hugs to you!! I hope you are doing much better now ❤❤❤... now I will go back to reading the rest of your post

I was going to start my own thread for this but figured this existed and it can go here, but it is quite lengthy.

Some users will have seen me post previously about a friendship circle I was having issues with. This was a few weeks ago and I’m really, really struggling to come to terms with it.

There were three of us. I introduced the other two to each other and they weren’t friends before I introduced them, so I was always the one who organised things etc. I introduced them as I was getting married and they were both my bridesmaids so I wanted them to be friends. All was well until about six months ago really. Friend 1 (who I have known the longest) just suddenly stopped liking anything I put on social media. We got married abroad (they ultimately weren’t part of the wedding due to covid) and she didn’t even like all my wedding photos. My hen do was cancelled and they didn’t make any effort for the “pretend” hen do that I had. It was crap. No photos were put online but a week later friend 1 went for drinks with other friends she barely knows and it was plastered all over social media. It made me feel crappy, like I’m not worthy or something. Maybe it’s me being paranoid, I don’t know. We had a group chat and when my husband and I went on honeymoon, it was around then that anything I said in this group chat, it just got ignored. But they would both speak amongst themselves but ignore me.

Constant little digs - I used to let my baby fall asleep on me and put him down in his cot. Friend 2 would drive her baby in the car every single night then transfer to bed. To me, that’s the strangest of the two methods. But friend 1 would question me in the group chat as to why I did it that way, but act like driving a baby to sleep was completely normal. I bought my wedding ring and sent a photo and got told it wasn’t nice and she preferred plain ones. Because hers is plain. I booked an outdoor meal in an igloo type tent for my babies first birthday and got told it was rubbish. I had my covid vaccine and got told she wouldn’t have it even if she was offered it.

Friend 1 hates her job. I love mine. She began a volunteer role but told friend 2 it was a paid role. She had already told me it was voluntary. Friend 2 suggested she quit her job now as she had another but she let her believe she had two jobs and two wages. I could have said something, but I didn’t.

I arranged to meet friend 1 one day and she stood me up. I had printed some interview papers for her especially. I rang her and she didn’t answer so I went back home. She told me it was too cold and she couldn’t wait any longer for me. I had arrived on time. A few days later she asked if she could collect the papers from me and I said I had binned them. “I would never do that to a friend” was her reply and she made a big deal in the group chat of friend 2 husband dropping them off for her instead. Whenever I asked to meet up with friend 1 she was always “so, so busy” or seeing other friends. She always made a point of how she was seeing so and so this week and how she had so many friends.

It was my birthday and we always, always buy cards and presents. This year I got nothing. Absolutely nothing. Two weeks later it was friend 1 birthday and she got a card and a present off friend 2. That really, really hurt me.

I asked friend 2 to meet up and she said we can’t because of covid. Yet a week later she met friend 1. They asked if we would all like to meet a week later and I said yes. Nothing got mentioned and I assumed it wasn’t happening. But low and behold that day, they had met and plastered it on social media. I had had enough so I asked why they had met and they said they didn’t think I was going. We haven’t spoke since.

I’m really struggling. I don’t know what I’ve done wrong. I’ve been pushed aside and forgotten about. Since then, they tag each other in everything on Instagram. I know it’s for my benefit and to make me feel like tit but it’s working. I don’t want to be friends with people like this but it’s really damaged me. Friend 2 I met because our husbands were best friends since kids. Her husband hasn’t been in touch with mine for weeks now either. I have gone to bed for the past month and just cried. It’s effecting my relationship and I feel like I’ve been thrown back to high school as something very similar happened to me back then too. I never thought it would happen again in my 30’s. Friend 2 owns a business and I noticed she is now friends on Facebook with my hairdresser and commenting on her things. I honestly now want to cancel my appointment with my hairdresser. My husband says I’m being daft, but they’ve effected me in a way I didn’t think was possible to damage me so much. I don’t understand why somebody would want to hurt me so much and I don’t know what lies she is telling people as to why we don’t speak no more.

I have a couple of other friends but not loads. These were my “best” friends and I feel so hurt and destroyed.

Sorry it’s long and thanks if you’ve read it all. There’s probably loads more to add but I’d be here all night.
Finished it ❤👏🏻👏🏻
And posts afterwards! People here gave incredible advice!
Have you an update of how you are getting on now? I hope times are happier for you?❤

Last edited:
As sad as it is, I think this is the way forward. I know she'll keep me on the back bench, with the odd message here and there for when it goes wrong, or if she's got a bit of spare time she needs filling.
I did a favour this evening for her then said shall I pop round for coffee later, but she declined as he was heading to hers.
Ahh such a shame isn't it. But going to move forward from here now, I'll be civil but nothing more. Her loss not mine.
I think you’re doing the right thing. It’s sad when this happens to friendships, but true friends don’t drop you when a man comes along, they would still have time for you. As you say, it’s her loss, and unfortunately she’ll realise that when it’s too late.

• Heart
The fact that you made the long post shows they're really not a friend.

Today I contacted a friend who I've not spoken to for 4 months and told them about a festival I'm going to and if they're up for it. They booked tickets straight away and showed me the confirmation. Then we messaged for hours and it was the same as ever even after not talking for months on end.

When we meet up again it will be like we were just at the pub last week. A friendship doesn't need to be constant contact, its about meaningful contact, when you both have the time. It should be easy, no stress, no drama.

Don't put up with anything less.
THIS 👆👆👆

I was part of a group of five girls and now out of those five girls, I speak to one. My friendship with this girl (basically my best friend) is exactly how the poster above has commented just that we see each other a bit more frequently than 4 months.

The others in the group just made everything a competition and it’s draining. Don’t ever let friendships be draining, they really shouldn’t be.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi everyone,
Just needed to vent
I wonder if part of it is he gets in her head, telling her stuff like they belong together, pointing out (perceived / imaginary) flaws of her friends, etc. It also sounds as if he isolating her from her friends and the outside world, in an effort to control her.

She probably lies to you because she knows she's not doing the right thing but is listening to her heart, not her head.

I would step away and leave her to it ... but if you value her friendship, let her know that you'll always be there if she needs you.

• Heart