Toxic friends

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh, absolutely. She's always telling me stuff about people I don't know, so I'm sure she's gossiping about me to others. I'm really not interested in what others are doing - and I doubt they're interested in my (very boring) life - so it's a bit strange. Maybe she feels important, knowing all the news.
My mom always said: if they are talking about someone else to you, they are talking about you to someone else. For you maybe your life is "boring" but for them it might be interesting🤷🏽‍♀️ or (no ofense or hate towards you) they are trying to found something from you so they could take advantatge of it,used it agnist you or make a lie from something and bully you for it🤷🏽‍♀️ people like that are very conusing

Reactions: 6
Oh, absolutely. She's always telling me stuff about people I don't know, so I'm sure she's gossiping about me to others. I'm really not interested in what others are doing - and I doubt they're interested in my (very boring) life - so it's a bit strange. Maybe she feels important, knowing all the news.
I had a friend like this too.. separate to the other friend I mentioned earlier. My friend would ask aload of really nosy questions and I actually do not know much about her life at all. I agree with the above poster, it’s like she wants to know information so she can pass it on. I feel the same way about “my friend” but it was only when my mom said it to me did it click. New eyes and all that.

Anyway I made this friend an acquaintance, I see her every year or so in a group as opposed to meeting 1-1 for coffee. Every time she asks to meet up for coffee or lunch 1-1 ( 3 times a year I say- I either don’t reply or make my excuses and say I can’t go) I used to feel bad for not meeting up with her but I always feel so sad after being in her company that I don’t give a toss now. I saw her at Christmas amongst a group and she still said a few sly digs. Very secondary school stuff. I am in my 30’s. She’s still nosy as hell, ( this one is so sneaky, and I made the mistake divulging about my own private life a few times years ago before I copped on what she was like) but she knows now I don’t see her as a friend. Ugh it’s a tough one… you are right delaying replying to her. She will never change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I think I'm a bit of a magnet for toxic and narcissistic people. I grew up in a family of narcs so saw and experienced some really crappy stuff which has made me a very flawed individual who cares far too much what people think. I also recognise that I'm too much of a people pleaser, which sees me get used and cast aside once I've served my purpose. I am waking up to all this more as I age ... at this rate I'll be 80 before I feel free of it all though!

This said, I do have some lovely people in my life who are very positive and uplifting. It's quite telling that the toxic 'friend' who I've posted about doesn't like to think I have other friends. And yes, @orla1989 , like yours I am often on the receiving end of sly digs that could be interpreted as compliments but they're really not.

I'm definitely going to cease contact with this lady.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Both my best friends have binned me off since getting new girlfriends and it has absolutely crippled me, if I’m honest. Especially as when I got with my boyfriend, I always made sure I didn’t exclude either of them (neither of them speak, so it was even more hassle than the three of us hanging out at the same time etc). Feels like an absolute punch in the gut.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Both my best friends have binned me off since getting new girlfriends and it has absolutely crippled me, if I’m honest. Especially as when I got with my boyfriend, I always made sure I didn’t exclude either of them (neither of them speak, so it was even more hassle than the three of us hanging out at the same time etc). Feels like an absolute punch in the gut.
I'm so sorry to hear this! It's the sort of thing you get when you're younger (I've made that mistake of boyfriend instead of friends but I was 16 lol), but when you get older you realise that you can't do that to your friends. Do you feel like you could talk to them about it? Perhaps a non-confrontational approach like "i miss you" and take it from there? I hope you're okay 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm so sorry to hear this! It's the sort of thing you get when you're younger (I've made that mistake of boyfriend instead of friends but I was 16 lol), but when you get older you realise that you can't do that to your friends. Do you feel like you could talk to them about it? Perhaps a non-confrontational approach like "i miss you" and take it from there? I hope you're okay 💕
I have tried several times. I kept getting the excuses of ‘I’m just really busy, my mental health is awful, I’ll make more of an effort’, and the effort never came.

One of them I cut off sooner than the other. His girlfriend is my ex boyfriends ex, and she’s never made it a secret she hates me (unsure on why - she was in bed with my ex three days after we split up), so I wonder if there was an ultimatum. He and I did have a past thing, I’m not sure if he’s told her that. I blocked him on everything as I was just sick of crying over the loss of the friendship and being the only one who cared.

The other one, I’ve yet to block but I think I’m going to. I messaged him over the Christmas period to say I’d be free to meet if he wanted, he’s been active every day but hasn’t even opened my message.
Im more disappointed in him opposed to the other friend because he was the one telling me he was toxic and friends don’t do that to each other etc.

It’s tit, but it is what it is I guess xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had a group of friends which were bad for my mental health. Took me a good few years to cut them off but I'm so glad I did.
It was a group of us and me and another girl felt if one of us didn't attend the night out we'd be slagged off so if she couldn't make then I had too. Just so they couldn't talk about us. What type of a friendship is that! The final straw was when the biggest witch had a secret wedding and hen do and left me and other said girl out.
I have 2 daughters and it stresses me out thinking they'll prob encounter witches like this in their life times.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I had a group of friends which were bad for my mental health. Took me a good few years to cut them off but I'm so glad I did.
It was a group of us and me and another girl felt if one of us didn't attend the night out we'd be slagged off so if she couldn't make then I had too. Just so they couldn't talk about us. What type of a friendship is that! The final straw was when the biggest witch had a secret wedding and hen do and left me and other said girl out.
I have 2 daughters and it stresses me out thinking they'll prob encounter witches like this in their life times.
Im still young but i does scares that my children in futyre could find people like i did and fall for the same trap, or like my mom for stupid guys... lets hope it never happens to you, me and anybody from here🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Heart
I have tried several times. I kept getting the excuses of ‘I’m just really busy, my mental health is awful, I’ll make more of an effort’, and the effort never came.

One of them I cut off sooner than the other. His girlfriend is my ex boyfriends ex, and she’s never made it a secret she hates me (unsure on why - she was in bed with my ex three days after we split up), so I wonder if there was an ultimatum. He and I did have a past thing, I’m not sure if he’s told her that. I blocked him on everything as I was just sick of crying over the loss of the friendship and being the only one who cared.

The other one, I’ve yet to block but I think I’m going to. I messaged him over the Christmas period to say I’d be free to meet if he wanted, he’s been active every day but hasn’t even opened my message.
Im more disappointed in him opposed to the other friend because he was the one telling me he was toxic and friends don’t do that to each other etc.

It’s tit, but it is what it is I guess xx
Update. I’ve deleted him off of everything. Keeping his presence active in any form isn’t going to help me heal, so it’s for the best. Just feels so tit, friend breakups can be worse than actual breakups sometimes. 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I had developed new friendship that was fine but has quickly got out of hand.

She is a mum at the school and we swapped numbers during the lockdown and would send messages about homeschooling etc which was nice. But then once the kids went back she started to piss me off.

She waits for me to get there and rushes straight over to see me, If I try to talk to someone else she comes right next to me, stares at me and listens and as soon as there is a break in the conversation she jumps straight in to talk to me , if I talk to my children she'll start talking to me whilst I'm talking to them or she'll just stare and listen in. She stares and watches everything I do (I tried walking around the playground with my son yesterday to get away from her and she stared at me the whole time).

I know it's petty but its doing my head in. I've started trying to time it so I get to school just as the doors open meaning I dont have to wait around, its like unwanted attention and she thinks she owns me or something. This has been going on for a long time.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me so I obviously create situations like this - what do I do 😫

• Wow
  • Sad
I had developed new friendship that was fine but has quickly got out of hand.

She is a mum at the school and we swapped numbers during the lockdown and would send messages about homeschooling etc which was nice. But then once the kids went back she started to piss me off.

She waits for me to get there and rushes straight over to see me, If I try to talk to someone else she comes right next to me, stares at me and listens and as soon as there is a break in the conversation she jumps straight in to talk to me , if I talk to my children she'll start talking to me whilst I'm talking to them or she'll just stare and listen in. She stares and watches everything I do (I tried walking around the playground with my son yesterday to get away from her and she stared at me the whole time).

I know it's petty but its doing my head in. I've started trying to time it so I get to school just as the doors open meaning I dont have to wait around, its like unwanted attention and she thinks she owns me or something. This has been going on for a long time.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me so I obviously create situations like this - what do I do 😫
Do you know if she's "friended" any of the other mums there before you? She sounds incredibly needy and exhausting. Especially talking at you when you're talking to your children, that's not right, it would all do my head in too. Sorry I don't have any advice - I had a friend like this at work who followed me around, my leaving do was especially bad as I never got to talk to anyone on my own as she was always right next to me 🙃 thank goodness I left that job (although that didn't stop it, even asking her to please not whatsapp me as my phone kept going off I felt so sick, I needed a break from anyone contacting me, I ended up turning my phone off for days. She emailed my personal email, my new work email, sent text messages and two handwritten letters of six sides of A4 each to my house) so ended up having to ghost her.

Have you got many years left of your children going to this school?

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Do you know if she's "friended" any of the other mums there before you? She sounds incredibly needy and exhausting. Especially talking at you when you're talking to your children, that's not right, it would all do my head in too. Sorry I don't have any advice - I had a friend like this at work who followed me around, my leaving do was especially bad as I never got to talk to anyone on my own as she was always right next to me 🙃 thank goodness I left that job (although that didn't stop it, even asking her to please not whatsapp me as my phone kept going off I felt so sick, I needed a break from anyone contacting me, I ended up turning my phone off for days. She emailed my personal email, my new work email, sent text messages and two handwritten letters of six sides of A4 each to my house) so ended up having to ghost her.

Have you got many years left of your children going to this school?
Oh no thats awful, my situation is not quite as bad as yours, yes the thing is she does know other mums, I just seem to be her favourite. In fact she sometimes talks to other mums whilst also keeping an eye on me. I needed to tell my daughter's teacher something the other morning and she stood and watched and listened. Unfortunately I have another 4 years lol.

• Sad
Oh no thats awful, my situation is not quite as bad as yours, yes the thing is she does know other mums, I just seem to be her favourite. In fact she sometimes talks to other mums whilst also keeping an eye on me. I needed to tell my daughter's teacher something the other morning and she stood and watched and listened. Unfortunately I have another 4 years lol.
Can you immediately go up to other mums and strike up a conversation with them? That's so rude she listened in on your conversation with the teacher!

Can you immediately go up to other mums and strike up a conversation with them? That's so rude she listened in on your conversation with the teacher!
Yeah I do, but she comes along and interrupts. I will do that more though I think. Also sometimes I just want to be left alone and talk to my children. Her conversations are really boring too, I know thats mean but they are.

Yeah I do, but she comes along and interrupts. I will do that more though I think. Also sometimes I just want to be left alone and talk to my children. Her conversations are really boring too, I know thats mean but they are.
I think sometimes its just a case of being cruel to be kind. Maybe next time she tries to listen in your convos, especially with your children just pull her to one side and just say.. back off. Obviously don't do it in a way that will hurt her but maybe just say, this is getting too much and it might kick her in to gear a little bit. I think most of us have been in situations like this, I can definitely relate, the friend I had was so jealous of my boyfriend when we first got together that she went around telling people that I know he beats me up. Then when I blocked her she constantly made new accounts on everything!

I know its hard because you don't want to upset someone but there needs to be boundaries! I hope you manage to get it sorted soon! Please don't blame yourself either! x

• Heart
I think sometimes its just a case of being cruel to be kind. Maybe next time she tries to listen in your convos, especially with your children just pull her to one side and just say.. back off. Obviously don't do it in a way that will hurt her but maybe just say, this is getting too much and it might kick her in to gear a little bit. I think most of us have been in situations like this, I can definitely relate, the friend I had was so jealous of my boyfriend when we first got together that she went around telling people that I know he beats me up. Then when I blocked her she constantly made new accounts on everything!

I know its hard because you don't want to upset someone but there needs to be boundaries! I hope you manage to get it sorted soon! Please don't blame yourself either! x
Thanks, ive decided when I see her ill say hi and then 'its nice to see you, I'm just going to stand over there with my kids now'. If she ignores that I'll definitely be telling her to back off x

• Heart
Thanks, ive decided when I see her ill say hi and then 'its nice to see you, I'm just going to stand over there with my kids now'. If she ignores that I'll definitely be telling her to back off x
Give us an update on how it goes! x

• Heart
What I would do is arrive at the correct time when your kids come out of school, so there's no hanging around and then get off as quickly as possible. I'd just say too busy to chat etc. If shes really bad and continues then I'd just tell her nicely that I was person who was very private and needed a lot of personal space etc or I was going through a lot or however you want to word it.

If she's doing that then see if you can speak to your daughters teacher about it too. Just so they are aware as it could be a safeguarding issue if you don't want her listening in.