The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m struggling to get my stamina back - I know it’s all in my head, but I did two weeks of SI, prior to that I was back running (plodding) comfortably for 30 mins...now I’m back to ten 🙁 so I’m trying to run for as long as possible and then do intervals to give myself a walk break.
Defo run-walk is the way to go I think. You will get it back!

I'm planning to do a run on my lunch break from work today. I'm working from home so that does make life easier and my top hack is getting dressed in my running gear first thing so I don't have to get changed. The hardest bit for me is always the making myself go but once I'm doing it I enjoy it so this helps to remove a hurdle. It's mostly psychological, the procrastination 😅 Anyone else like this?

Reactions: 6

I'm planning to do a run on my lunch break from work today. I'm working from home so that does make life easier and my top hack is getting dressed in my running gear first thing so I don't have to get changed. The hardest bit for me is always the making myself go but once I'm doing it I enjoy it so this helps to remove a hurdle. It's mostly psychological, the procrastination 😅 Anyone else like this?
Yes same here. I have to do my exercise first thing or same as you I put the gear on and then I might as well do a workout / run before showering. I have it all (the running gear) on the banister so as I stumble out of the bedroom to the loo first thing I take it with me and put it on.

Reactions: 2
I knocked out a 12km run today with 6km of quality. My legs didn't like it at all but they're still getting used to cycling again. Pre-lockdown I cycle-commuted so would be riding about 12km per day and would run without feeling the cycling fatigue but now they're complaining a lot lol

I’m struggling to get my stamina back - I know it’s all in my head, but I did two weeks of SI, prior to that I was back running (plodding) comfortably for 30 mins...now I’m back to ten 🙁 so I’m trying to run for as long as possible and then do intervals to give myself a walk break.
What sounds good! What I'd do is to start off with the intervals 2-3 times per week and then do a longer more continuous run on another day if you want too. If you keep running to exhaustion and then try to do intervals you won't really get the aerobic benefits you'd normally get.

My legs aren’t bad at all but can feel the 8k I ran the last 2 days so a walk it is today instead for exercise. Had very little sleep last night worrying about a family member who isn’t well ☹ Going to go for a walk along the coast and hope that will make me sleep better tonight, and that I’ll be fresh to go out for a run again tomorrow morning. Also I think some new reflective running gear I ordered is coming today so that should spur me on 😁
I hope your family member gets better Xx

Guys I did it!!!!!! 5k in under 30 minutes!!!!!

I know this isn’t that impressive but it’s a goal I’ve had for the past 2 years!!!!!
That's crazily impressive! You've stuck to a goal for a ridiculously long period of time and have kept working towards it, amazing job!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Struggling with motivation since having my little boy late last year. I had a c section and didn’t run till he was around 4 months old. Haven’t run much in that time, just little runs once or twice a week cause I have no time or motivation for more.

how did I go from running a marathon to not even running 5k? 🤦‍♀️

been trying to do couch to 5k but just can’t manage 3x most weeks which is driving me mad. Miserable weather doesn’t help, once I’d run in any weather now I’m like nope too wet!

Reactions: 1
I wasn't expecting to, but I really like it now too. I hate it when I first step out and my legs are freezing cold I prefer running in shorts, but once I get going I really prefer it. Just need something to keep my ears warm, else I get earache and go dizzy 🙄
I am exactly the same - the cold on my ears gives me a huge headache. If anyone has any tips, all the hats I own I'm afraid will fall off mid-run, I'd be grateful!! I've been looking for those thick headbands I see people wear that cover their ears, but I can't seem to find them myself

I am exactly the same - the cold on my ears gives me a huge headache. If anyone has any tips, all the hats I own I'm afraid will fall off mid-run, I'd be grateful!! I've been looking for those thick headbands I see people wear that cover their ears, but I can't seem to find them myself
Have you tried a speciality running store? I use buffs or have bought thick knotted headband from kmart which is like a cheap department store in Aus.

I have headband, but it doesn't seem to stay low enough over my ears. Have just found one on Amazon I might try

Amazon product

I think the hole for my ponytail might help keep it in place. Probably won't be thick enough though 🙄

Yep! I'm about to do the same, mentally not too keen for a run purely because it's lunchtime & I'm hungry, but if I ate first I would get the mother of all stitches. So I'm gonna go run now and eat when I get back, as much as my stomach protests

I know this isn’t that impressive but it’s a goal I’ve had for the past 2 years!!!!!
None of that matters, you got yourself out there and ran, so well done 👏🏻 be proud of yourself in what you have achieved

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes. I’ve been running on and off for about four years, I started with Couch to 5k in 2016 and did race for life after it. I sort of let it slide after that though and only did occasional quick runs around the block and started doing more strength training instead. When lockdown happened I decided with gyms closed to work on it getting back into it properly and fairly quickly got back up to 5k. Then I decided to improve on that and am now aiming for 10k but seem to be stuck at about 7k at the moment, I can’t really get passed that and if I try to ‘run through it‘ I feel like im going to faint. I know it’s just the wall again, but it’s never lasted so long in the past. Any advice on how to get past it would be appreciated.

At the moment I’m running 5k in under 40 minutes.
Sounds like me, used to run loads but hadn't in years, loved gym classes much more. Started running again over lock down, 36min 5k which feels rubbish 🙄 my other half is sub 19min 🙈, I can get up to 6.5k but now I'm stuck again as I would be too scared to go out in the dark evenings! Anyone else feel like this!?

Just did my longest yet - 7.88K. I'm slow, and over weight. But pretty pleased with this. My mental health has been pretty bad the last few weeks [not helped by me drinking myself into oblivion] so I want to keep this up least it help.

Well done @jjhv! What an achievement!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just back on week 3.
Remember now why I find it hard to do
week 3.

You go from running from 1.30 minute to 3 minute run, such a big jump up.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I think this is very impressive indeed ! It’s something many people can’t do but anyway it was your goal so that’s what matters 😊 well done !

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just back on week 3.
Remember now why I find it hard to do
week 3.

You go from running from 1.30 minute to 3 minute run, such a big jump up.
Why don't you sub in an extra week or two where you do 2min/ 2min30 to ease into it more?

I just wrote a couple of programs for runners who are just starting out and used a lot of C25k but had to sub in a few extra weeks when I thought the jumps were too big or the program was too repetitive. It's a good program but don't be afraid to tweak things, you know your own body best!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone, new to this thread but reading all your stories has inspired me! I workout (HIIT, weights and spin) c5 times a week with the odd run.. I only ever run about 3 miles (9 min miles).. I would love to do a half marathon next year, I live in the north west, can anyone recommend any? Assuming they go ahead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.