The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am soooo excited. I have been on 3 weeks rest due to a suspected stress fracture but physio has said I can now start incorporating power walking and hill climbing into my routine and then hopefully I can get back into running. I started swimming and have also bought a bike and I’m going to do a combo!

Slightly off topic kinda but have any of you competed in a small triathlon?? Can you recommend any good ones around the country as that’s my goal for next year!
That's so exciting that you can start running again! What country are you in? I know there's a popular tri series in Elwood Victoria if you live in Australia?

The only running I’ve done during this lockdown is when I ran after my Deliveroo driver cuz I thought he was leaving without giving me my takeaway

Reactions: 6
I love running. I’ve done long distance running for as long as I can remember however I’ve managed to end up injury if my knee (I think it’s from the treadmill) so I’m having to take up more swimming for the time being! I’m itching to get going again but I know I am no where near ready.

I ran 7k yesterday and wasn’t even tired at the end (I just finished my route)! I’m really motivated to get up-to 10k!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have been trying to do C25k for the last three years and have never got passed week 3 as ruinning is not really my thing.

I normally spend about 2 or 3 weeks doing each week as I just can't do it, I think that I forget to breathe :oops: my pal told me to sing whilst running as it regulates your breathing.

I went back to it during lockdown 1 But took to doing cardio work instead.

Lockdown 2 - my pals and I have joined up and together we will get this done:ROFLMAO:
Same re: week 3. Always do that for months then give up. I am on week 4 now and think I’ll do that for a 2 weeks but definitely going for it this time.
ETA: great thread !! Running is such a great thing as is walking // fast walking but it is nice to do some running as well. Helps that I’ve got a Labrador who likes to join me and some great podcasts to listen to.

Reactions: 4
I ran 7k yesterday and wasn’t even tired at the end (I just finished my route)! I’m really motivated to get up-to 10k!
Do you (or anyone) find that the first 2-3km is really hard and after that seems easier? Is it just getting your muscles warmed and heart pumping?

Reactions: 7
Do you (or anyone) find that the first 2-3km is really hard and after that seems easier? Is it just getting your muscles warmed and heart pumping?
I used to but now I do a warm up before! I found that doing some ab and bum exercises helps in the long-term with stamina so I usually do some Chloe Ting workout before my run. At the moment I’m using the Tiny Waist Round Butt one :)

Reactions: 3
I used to but now I do a warm up before! I found that doing some ab and bum exercises helps in the long-term with stamina so I usually do some Chloe Ting workout before my run. At the moment I’m using the Tiny Waist Round Butt one :)
TBF I am really bad for not warming up. I will check that out, thank you 😊

Thank youuuu for sharing. Just checked out her Insta and excited to start 💪

Last edited:
Completely agree about the first section being the hardest & that warming up better has helped, I've been liking this one. I also find that if I'm going to get a stitch, I either get it after 5 minutes or not at all. Been happening less lately, though! I've been trying to breath properly, always struggled with that in my usual sport of rowing, too, to the point where my coach would say "I don't even know how you're still going because you don't seem to be breathing" 😅

Reactions: 1
I have never ever been a runner, but started the couch to 5k over summer. Got about 2/3 of the way through but then I found that around the 12 minute straight running mark I just felt sick? Like my legs were fine and I felt like I could've continued but stomach would hurt and I'd genuinely just feel so sick and it would take ten minutes of walking for it to go.
I tried morning before food, afternoon and evening after food but it all had the same sort of result - anyone know how to stop that? I'd like to get back into it but feel like there's no point if can't go any further.
Also if anyone has any tips for motivating yourself to go out when it's dark and rainy, that would be great 😅

Thanks for the mention!

I’ve always been a terrible runner. When I was younger I couldn't even run between two lamp posts! However the other year I decided to train to run to 5k without stopping and actually did it. I loved how it made me feel and being able to accomplish a fitness goal that felt so out of reach was incredible. Unfortunately, I haven't really improved too much since then but still regularly run.

My goals are:
- run 5k in under half an hour
- run a 10k without stopping

Does anyone have any tips to reach either of these goals?

I’m so glad this was made!
I know this sounds really stupid but I read something that Kipchoge said about getting faster or going for longer and it’s simply a case of keeping going and trying to run a bit faster from the start to see how you get on - I tried it over the summer and did a 5k in 27.15 which for me is great - it was hard work though. Also intervals with sprints are good. Good luck!

I really love Adidas Ultraboost, I have a high arch to my feet and every other pair of trainers I’ve ever tried have made the sole of my foot feel like it’s splitting down the middle vertically. Ultraboost are the best I’ve tried, feels like I’m flying!
Love Ultraboost too. They are an underrated brand when it comes to running are adidas

Reactions: 2
I have never ever been a runner, but started the couch to 5k over summer. Got about 2/3 of the way through but then I found that around the 12 minute straight running mark I just felt sick? Like my legs were fine and I felt like I could've continued but stomach would hurt and I'd genuinely just feel so sick and it would take ten minutes of walking for it to go.
I tried morning before food, afternoon and evening after food but it all had the same sort of result - anyone know how to stop that? I'd like to get back into it but feel like there's no point if can't go any further.
Also if anyone has any tips for motivating yourself to go out when it's dark and rainy, that would be great 😅
I can often feel sick. For me I think its blood sugar, although mine doesn't last as long as yours. Were you leaving it long enough after eating before you run? What were you eating?

I use Mountain Fuel gels to help me. I use to take one out with me and eat on the go, but now I just eat it before I leave the house.

Thanks for the mention!

I’ve always been a terrible runner. When I was younger I couldn't even run between two lamp posts! However the other year I decided to train to run to 5k without stopping and actually did it. I loved how it made me feel and being able to accomplish a fitness goal that felt so out of reach was incredible. Unfortunately, I haven't really improved too much since then but still regularly run.

My goals are:
- run 5k in under half an hour
- run a 10k without stopping

Does anyone have any tips to reach either of these goals?

I’m so glad this was made!
That's fantastic! I'd incorporate some intervals for both distances and some fartlek and tempo runs for the 10km distance. Let's say you're running 4 days per week:
Monday: Intervals
Tuesday: Easy
Thursday: Longer Quality
Saturday: Easy

Interval sessions could be distanced based (e.g. 8x200m) or time based (8x 1min). You're going to want to have about double the amount of rest (either slow jogging or static rest) between the interval. Let me know if you want me to go into more detail about potential interval sessions.

Fartlek basically translates to speed play and it's continuous running that speeds up or slows down. What you could do if you're aiming for 5km under 30 is something like:
1 min @ 5.55/km pace, 2 min @ 6.05-6:15/km , 2 min @ 5.55/km , 4 min @ 6.05-6.15/km, 3 min @ 5.55/km, 6 min @ 6.05-6.15/km and then go back down (3 hard, 4 easy, 2 hard, 2 easy, 1 hard, cool down).

That'll give you just under 30 min of quality and will help build your aerobic endurance. You could use this kind of workout for the 10km too. Fartlek can be very unstructured, you could just run hard or easy between landmarks too!

A tempo run targeting the 10km would be around the 6.20/km pace. You could start off with a 4km tempo and then build to 6-8km. Again, this will target your aerobic capacity :)

I'm happy to chat more and sorry for the slow reply!

I wonder whether you're maybe going too fast? Have you tried dropping the pace back a lot (so it seems you're almost walking) and giving that a go? It may also be a mental thing that you just need to push through but I'd definitely recommend dropped your pace back.

Get loads of good running layers, a good headlight if you don't have street lights and a good running rain jacket. I've got a saucony one that's a very thin plastic layer that's excellent at keeping the rain off but keeping me warm (because it's basically a glorified plastic bag!). In winter I'll pair that with a t shirt or if it's bitterly cold a long sleeve plus my thermal tights that I've spoken about above. I like wearing a thick band or buff around my ears and if it's raining I'll wear a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes. It feels miserable starting off in the rain but I always feel very accomplished once I start running lol. I tell myself I'll go for 1km (I'm always warmed up and happy after 800m) and if I absolutely hate it I can turn around and go home then.

• Heart
Me and my husband did the couch to 5k during the first lockdown. He did really well and was knocking 5k out in about 40 mins. I wrecked my knee in week 9 and gave up 🤦🏼‍♀️ We did each loose about 2 stone though
We’ve decided to start again - starting at week 3 and might fast track through and do week 4 tomorrow

Reactions: 5
Yep! This is why I never used to run and also why I now run alone. My ex liked to go full pelt from the get go but the first 2km are hardest for me. My fastest KMs tend to be in the middle or at the end. If I do 10km+ the first 5km can be a lot slower than the rest.

I hadn’t ran since school, but tried a treadmill in the gym last year and since lockdown have been going outside. The following things helped me:

- running as early as possible on an empty stomach, if I eat even 4 hours before a run I end up with burning indigestion mid-run, but then (as people have said) some others love to run in the afternoons/evenings! Being well hydrated has a massive impact, too
- focus on distance not speed, even if you’re going barely faster than a walk then so be it, running shouldn’t feel unbearable on the heart rate (which is what I struggled with at first)
- force yourself to switch off, focus on the environment or your music but not the amount you’ve left to run
- update your playlists/podcasts regularly, sometimes listening to power ballads are more motivating for me than drum and bass!
- stop if you need to, not because you want to
- keep your expectations low and don’t be hard on yourself, when I’ve gone out for a small run I’ve ended up running some of my fastest and longest runs

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Loving this thread, thanks for starting it 👍🏻 All my life I went to fitness classes, then when the first lockdown happened I took up running 🥴 i gradually built up my Miles by setting little targets each run and I was able to run a decent amount of miles without stopping, the most Iv ran is 10mile which Iv only done twice, I try to run 7mile per run 4-5 times a week. I started off with the Nike pagasus 35 which I thought were great 👍🏻 I then got Nike Pegasus 37 I was a bit disappointed to start with as they slipped up and down my heel, done a quick google search and learned how to tie my laces to stop that happening 👍🏻 And everything is great now, since the weather has changed and it’s raining a lot I got another pair of Nike Pegasus 37 shield £114 supposed to stop your feet getting wet 😡 sadly that not true but still a great trainer for running 👍🏻 The past month or two I started getting little niggles down my left side glute and knee only when I run especially when I got to the 4 half 5 mile mark, so done some more research, bought a foam roller ( oh my god I was in pain when I started this ) it’s now becoming more enjoyable doing the foam roller 👍🏻 I do stretches and do glute activation exercises and I can honestly say Iv seen an improvement ( touch hairy wood ) if that’s the saying 😂 as I’m working from home most days and sitting the best part of the day my glutes and hip flexors where weak and tight ( well that’s what YT and google said ) 😂
Iv started wearing a hat, gloves and jacket but after 10-15 mins the jacket is off and tied round my waist 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Woohoo managed to get myself out there this morning. Set off on my usual 5k route and said to myself even if I only run 5 minutes and walk the rest it's better than nothing. Ended up walking 5 mins to warm up, running for 22 mins (3.25km) then walked the other just over 2km of it home. It felt great! Looking forward to going again tomorrow 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I ran just over 6k this morning. I followed some of the advice given here about pacing myself and it did make a difference, I probably could have gone a bit further but didn’t want to go out too hard.

Reactions: 10
Did week 6 run 2 this afternoon.
Ran the 10mins and the 3min walk and the next 10mins in one go. Then walked for about 3mins and then ran another 10mins.

Covered 6.1km averaging 7.4km/hour pace, so pretty pleased with that 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.