Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
Woohoo managed to get myself out there this morning. Set off on my usual 5k route and said to myself even if I only run 5 minutes and walk the rest it's better than nothing. Ended up walking 5 mins to warm up, running for 22 mins (3.25km) then walked the other just over 2km of it home. It felt great! Looking forward to going again tomorrow 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Regina George

VIP Member
Just completed my first ever sub 30 min 5k (29:40) 🥳

Was thinking when I finished “oh I can’t wait to post this on the tattle running thread” ahaha

• Heart
Reactions: 15

jarv

VIP Member
I didn't run for over a week because I kept putting it off and then created a mental block for myself. Pushed myself out this evening and smashed it! 10 mins run 5 mins walk and another 10 mins run. I feel so good about myself now!

Reactions: 13

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Yes. I’ve been running on and off for about four years, I started with Couch to 5k in 2016 and did race for life after it. I sort of let it slide after that though and only did occasional quick runs around the block and started doing more strength training instead. When lockdown happened I decided with gyms closed to work on it getting back into it properly and fairly quickly got back up to 5k. Then I decided to improve on that and am now aiming for 10k but seem to be stuck at about 7k at the moment, I can’t really get passed that and if I try to ‘run through it‘ I feel like im going to faint. I know it’s just the wall again, but it’s never lasted so long in the past. Any advice on how to get past it would be appreciated.

At the moment I’m running 5k in under 40 minutes.

anonesk223

Just over 15k in 1:30 today!!!!! 😭 to think a few months ago I couldn’t run more than 3 minutes without feeling like I needed to stop. I’m very tempted to work towards a half marathon now, who would’ve thought it!

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Im now able to run a 5k in under 40 minutes! I know it’s not a lot, but when I first started it was taking me 45 minutes, sometimes even longer. My new goal is to try and get down to 35 mins. I’m also doing a much longer run once a month. Currently around 7-8k but hope to increase that to 10k eventually.

Reactions: 12

nbx512

Chatty Member
I know there's a huge UK presence here and I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you all as you head into a new lock down. I'm in Victoria, Australia and we went through several months of lock down including a period where we could leave our homes for exercise for Max one hour per day. Focus on creating a schedule and routine for yourselves at home and use friends/ relatives for accountability. A friend and I would do a zoom call and do our own separate study which helped both our mental health and productivity immensely. If you're not allowed to leave your homes for exercise there's plenty of stuff you can do at home! I wrote out some basic exercises a while back here but otherwise I really got into Lilly Sabri on YouTube who releases a ton of content for free.

Stay strong, stay connected and I'm thinking of you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12

slabber

Inspired by this thread, I restarted couch 2 5k tonight... for about the fourth time. But I did it nonetheless! Here's hoping I manage to finish it this time!!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hello :)

I am about to finish a "Couch to 5K" podcast. 😎
The thing is, I should have actually been able to run 5K on day one... I have a basic level of fitness, but I am so lazy!
What helped me a lot is this friendly voice spurring me on "only 60 seconds left", "you can do it", "now walk for three minutes and catch your breath" etc and the fact that it was kind of "policed" that I ran the time I was told to run.

So now I wonder if there is something like a "follow-up" podcast? Or running podcasts that tell you when you ran a certain time, that motivate you during the run, that have different music etc?

How do you all run? With music, in silence, with podcasts?
Thanks for your advice :)

There is, indeed. Running podcasts for C25K graduates - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

I have some frankly shocking news.

After the last attempts at a walk round the block faltered due to a) my going back to work and doing 7000+ a day there and b) Mr D losing interest thanks to prolonged reduced hours at work and an absence of daylight or movement, he tried out my fancy new scales last week and was horrified at his visceral fat percentage along with being the 'wrong side of a healthy BMI', so when I repeated the suggestion that we could go and walk around the nearest park as an exercise, he accepted - and actually got up to do it this morning.

He, of course, being far slimmer than I am and not hampered by joint and tendon issues, decided that running would be easy. I tried to encourage him to warm up a bit longer before starting, but by the time 'On your toes, not your heels and don't try to go too fas-', he was off. And promptly stopped 20 yards further on. I continued to walk whilst benignly smiling through his 'I've got a good base level of fitness' and saying that I could give him some pointers on gait when we're home as I could obviously see it from my position behind him. I could tell that, lovely guy though he is, there was probably an element of 'But you aren't exactly a runner, Dragon' in his eyes.

Anyhow, after the first lap, I felt warm, my hip pain wasn't worsening, I wasn't out of breath and perfectly able to talk - so I thought I'd try something. I lifted up slightly more on my toes, felt them flex and spread under my weight and, as everything felt OK, I put one foot in front of another and jogged the last half of the second lap.

So, compared to actually walking, I ran.

I. Ran.

I didn't need lions, tigers or bears chasing after me. I just needed to be warm, relaxed and in a decent sports bra.

I. Ran.

My heart kept up, my lungs could get air, my feet worked as feet should.

And I Ran.

I decided to go back to walking as soon as I felt my hip pain twinge slightly more, but I kept going for more than a single pace. More than he did, too, because I concentrated upon form and how my body felt.

I would have happily walked another lap and possibly a short jog again, but he was clearly in no shape to manage that, so we went home again, where I demolished a banana the moment I got my shoes off and dinner tasted great (lamb steak, boiled potatoes, leeks and peas). He, however, is snoring on the sofa and I'm quite happily doing some slow stretches in front of the telly before having a bath.

I've got two weeks off now (well, one working from home and one off). I am very tempted to go there without him to try this some more. Because I've just proven to myself that I can still run, albeit just a tiny distance, an almost tectonic pace - but I can still run.

In my head, I'm now planning a visit to the running shop that is literally one bus stop away from the park and eyeing up Parkrun for when they reopen. This may all be pipe dreams. But if I can still run, maybe they aren't that far fetched after all?

• Heart

jjhv

I ran 7k yesterday and wasn’t even tired at the end (I just finished my route)! I’m really motivated to get up-to 10k!

• Heart

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
I did 8k on the treadmill first thing this morning (can't run outside anymore due to health issues ☹) . I haven't run that far in ages. Was only going to do 5 but felt good so kept going.

I was beating myself up because I'm so slow but decided slow and long is better than nothing!

• Heart

Lollypad

VIP Member
Yayy I love this thread already! I’m not a “typical” runner - I’m a big gal and I plod rather than run, but finish lines not finish times and all that 😉 I’ve ran several 10ks, did a couple of half marathons but honestly I hated them. 10k is just about my distance I think, which is a shame because I’d love to run a marathon one day, but I’d be looking at a six hour finish, don’t know if I’ve got the stamina!
I love cold weather running, the darker and colder the better for me, I hate summer running because I’m too hot and self conscious. This time of year is perfect for me!

• Heart

jarv

VIP Member
In my opinion a good 10k time is a time where you do it and think bloody hell I've done alright there! Doesn't matter if it's 45 mins or an hour or an hour and a half tbh 😂 it's the most stupid thing to be elite about because unless you're a professional athlete, the time someone else takes to run the same distance has zero impact on your life!!

• Heart

Mamatoo2

Chatty Member
Haven’t posted for a while but on 3rd November I set myself a goal to get to running 5k by the end of this lockdown. 5 weeks ago I could barely manage 2mins & today I managed the full 5k in 46mins. So buzzing I didnt focus on time or pace just the distance. Now the gym are open I’m gonna work on my pace with treadmill sprints as find this has helped before a long with one leg day a week to build my strength. Aim is to improve pace this month then come jan set myself a new goal. Well done everyone else for just getting out there in this weather think is was 4 degrees when I did my run

• Heart
Reactions: 10