The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just back on week 3.
Remember now why I find it hard to do
week 3.

You go from running from 1.30 minute to 3 minute run, such a big jump up.
@nbx512 makes a good point here about adding in additional weeks to it if needs be! I'd also suggest giving it a go, and if you're really not happy [and I bet you 1€ you will be ;)], to repeat weeks or even specific runs until you're happy you did it. It doesn't matter if you're a sweaty mess at the end, simply that you did it.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi everyone, new to this thread but reading all your stories has inspired me! I workout (HIIT, weights and spin) c5 times a week with the odd run.. I only ever run about 3 miles (9 min miles).. I would love to do a half marathon next year, I live in the north west, can anyone recommend any? Assuming they go ahead
9 min miles good going! I ran the Warrington half marathon in September 2018 and loved every minute of it. I only ended up doing it because another half marathon I did was a complete duck up due to poor organisation and I with many others got sent the wrong way by stewards and only ended up running like 11.8 miles or something. So wanted to run another to do it properly and think Warrington was only a couple of weeks later. Anyway it was mega, it was flat for the most part and really varied scenery, country lanes, road and you run through the football stadium at the end. There were even dead cute families handing out jelly babies outside their houses 😂 think it was about £35 to enter but I thought it was worth it. You got a t shirt, medal and goody bag at the end. Defo doing it again if it’s on next year.

Reactions: 1
9 min miles good going! I ran the Warrington half marathon in September 2018 and loved every minute of it. I only ended up doing it because another half marathon I did was a complete duck up due to poor organisation and I with many others got sent the wrong way by stewards and only ended up running like 11.8 miles or something. So wanted to run another to do it properly and think Warrington was only a couple of weeks later. Anyway it was mega, it was flat for the most part and really varied scenery, country lanes, road and you run through the football stadium at the end. There were even dead cute families handing out jelly babies outside their houses 😂 think it was about £35 to enter but I thought it was worth it. You got a t shirt, medal and goody bag at the end. Defo doing it again if it’s on next year.
Oh that sounds great thanks I’m only half an hour from Warrington so I’ll look into that xx

• Heart
Oh that sounds great thanks I’m only half an hour from Warrington so I’ll look into that xx
I’m like 50 mins/an hour away so got there in plenty of time to find somewhere to park but there’s actually a huge multi storey so wasn’t a problem. Think it was 11am start x

Sounds like me, used to run loads but hadn't in years, loved gym classes much more. Started running again over lock down, 36min 5k which feels rubbish 🙄 my other half is sub 19min 🙈, I can get up to 6.5k but now I'm stuck again as I would be too scared to go out in the dark evenings! Anyone else feel like this!?
I know what you mean! The furthest I have run is about 6.4km and I feel like that is my absolute limit. I really want to aim to do 10k before the end of the year but same as you I don't like running in the dark at night and the motivation to get up early before work has totally gone. I don't like running when there are loads of people around which is why the 1st lockdown was ideal, now I feel too exposed but I know that's all in my head and I shouldn't care what I look like or who sees me!

I know what you mean! The furthest I have run is about 6.4km and I feel like that is my absolute limit. I really want to aim to do 10k before the end of the year but same as you I don't like running in the dark at night and the motivation to get up early before work has totally gone. I don't like running when there are loads of people around which is why the 1st lockdown was ideal, now I feel too exposed but I know that's all in my head and I shouldn't care what I look like or who sees me!
Are you working from home by any chance? I find going out during lunch is a good motivator for me [early morning just feels...unlikely].

@nbx512 makes a good point here about adding in additional weeks to it if needs be! I'd also suggest giving it a go, and if you're really not happy [and I bet you 1€ you will be ;)], to repeat weeks or even specific runs until you're happy you did it. It doesn't matter if you're a sweaty mess at the end, simply that you did it.
Hi, thanks to you both. I have been known to repeat a week or two! Just such a big jump up.

Are you working from home by any chance? I find going out during lunch is a good motivator for me [early morning just feels...unlikely].
Yes I am and I have been thinking that it would be a good idea to try going out at lunch also I'm going to have to get up earlier and earlier in the mornings with it still being so dark and I am in no means an early bird a lunch time jog is a good suggestion!

• Heart
Hi. Yes I have done week 3, run 1, very hard. I will be doing Week 3 for a couple of weeks!

Hi. Yes I have done week 3, run 1, very hard. I will be doing Week 3 for a couple of weeks!
Keep at it, you've managed one which is great 🎉. As others have said, rather than 3minute runs, do 2 or 2.5 instead and build up. Try and focus on a little being better than nothing ☺

Reactions: 3
Super late to this thread, but I’m obsessed with running!

For those struggling with motivation, don’t tell yourself you have to run for X minutes, or X kilometres, just go out and see how you feel. Sometimes you might only feel like running around the block, and that’s ok- there will be days when you feel great and want to run for ages. Either way, you’re still out there doing it!

Reactions: 9
Keep at it, you've managed one which is great 🎉. As others have said, rather than 3minute runs, do 2 or 2.5 instead and build up. Try and focus on a little being better than nothing ☺

Determined to finish c25k this time. My pace is about 13 minutes a mile (sure I could walk faster) . So it's going to take a while.

Reactions: 3
Super late to this thread, but I’m obsessed with running!

For those struggling with motivation, don’t tell yourself you have to run for X minutes, or X kilometres, just go out and see how you feel. Sometimes you might only feel like running around the block, and that’s ok- there will be days when you feel great and want to run for ages. Either way, you’re still out there doing it!
This mentality saves me. I usually do the same route 4-5 times a week, but sometimes I'll only complete 3k out of the 6k I plan to do because I'm tired from work etc. If I pressure myself I find I run less distance because I'm all in my head rather than in the run itself

Reactions: 4
If you're doing couch to 5k my advice would be not to worry about your pace at all. Just do the running segments at a speed where you feel comfortable as your pace will naturally improve the more you do it and the more your fitness improves.

I did couch to 5k (finished it on my third attempt after I binned off my first try halfway through and then was told to stop the second time by the doctor as I was pregnant!). I got caught up on how fast I needed to be running until someone told me that the fitness comes later. I was so unfit when I started at age 40, couldn't run for 30 seconds without feeling like I was going to die, and now I love running and do about 25-30 miles a week.

One thing that is great for new runners is Strava, as now a couple of years later I can look back to my pace when I first started and compare it with now and can feel a sense of achievement. Also at the start it was motivating to see myself getting a bit quicker as the months went by, would defo recommend it.

Reactions: 6
One thing that is great for new runners is Strava, as now a couple of years later I can look back to my pace when I first started and compare it with now and can feel a sense of achievement. Also at the start it was motivating to see myself getting a bit quicker as the months went by, would defo recommend it.
Absolutely second this. And see if any of your pals are on it. The tiny competitions in my mind in my former job Strava - a surprisingly strong motivator!

Absolutely second this. And see if any of your pals are on it. The tiny competitions in my mind in my former job Strava - a surprisingly strong motivator!
I’m obsessed with strava 😂 it’s like my main form of social media haha. My work club leaderboards got very competitive during lockdown!

I look back at the runs I did 5 years ago when I first started running and omg - I have improved sooo much. And I thought I was quite fit back then!

Just completed my first ever sub 30 min 5k (29:40) 🥳

Was thinking when I finished “oh I can’t wait to post this on the tattle running thread” ahaha

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.