The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Idea from Holly Gabrielle's thread! Thread for all things running.

Tagging people who liked the suggestion: @nbx512 @slamvs27 @jayjay82 @jjhv @Oatmeall @MeLlamoMiami @Welshgal and of course anyone else who's into running!

I kind of gave up on running over the first UK lockdown sadly, so I've just started again today with week 3 of couch to 5k. Found it really tough especially as it's so cold - really hurts my lungs. Would love to get back to a sub 30 5k by the end of 2020 but that might be a bit optimistic!

Anyone else out running atm? Tips for dealing with the cold? I have to say, I really love that the cold air doesn't make my hair horribly sweaty!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've been running since leaving university as 22. Started off with 5K stuff and built up from there to full marathons. And now I do a daily run of between 5 and 10 miles depending on circumstances.

Generally during cold winter months its important to do 10-15 minutes with of warm-ups, stretching and flexing before taking on a full run otherwise you'll feel the cold for longer and your muscles stand more chance of either cramping up or tearing.

But running/jogging just a couple of miles is a good start.

Reactions: 8
Yes. I’ve been running on and off for about four years, I started with Couch to 5k in 2016 and did race for life after it. I sort of let it slide after that though and only did occasional quick runs around the block and started doing more strength training instead. When lockdown happened I decided with gyms closed to work on it getting back into it properly and fairly quickly got back up to 5k. Then I decided to improve on that and am now aiming for 10k but seem to be stuck at about 7k at the moment, I can’t really get passed that and if I try to ‘run through it‘ I feel like im going to faint. I know it’s just the wall again, but it’s never lasted so long in the past. Any advice on how to get past it would be appreciated.

At the moment I’m running 5k in under 40 minutes.

Reactions: 13
Oooh good thread idea. I've ran on and off for the last few years but got quite in to it again during lockdown. Since lockdown lifted up here (I'm in Scotland) I haven't really been out as much - especially since it's dark by the time I finish work! I did make it out this morning for a 5k though. It was hard going and slow - I don't do fast in the mornings. Mornings work much better for longer slower runs I think.

Reactions: 1
Yes. I’ve been running on and off for about four years, I started with Couch to 5k in 2016 and did race for life after it. I sort of let it slide after that though and only did occasional quick runs around the block and started doing more strength training instead. When lockdown happened I decided with gyms closed to work on it getting back into it properly and fairly quickly got back up to 5k. Then I decided to improve on that and am now aiming for 10k but seem to be stuck at about 7k at the moment, I can’t really get passed that and if I try to ‘run through it‘ I feel like im going to faint. I know it’s just the wall again, but it’s never lasted so long in the past. Any advice on how to get past it would be appreciated.

At the moment I’m running 5k in under 40 minutes.
I'm sure we've all been struggling to get past that formidable barrier, and I think its something to do with lack of glycogen or too much fluid loss, which can lean to muscle cramps and general fatigue.

I suppose it also depends on pacing and the kind of terrain you're running on - flat, hilly or both. Add to that the weather conditions - cold, warm, humid; and your general sense of well-being. In other words are you in the right frame of mind.

It doe take time and patience, and trial & error, but you will break through the wall. And once you've done it a couple of times the rest of the run is a breeze

Good luck!

Reactions: 4
I'm sure we've all been struggling to get past that formidable barrier, and I think its something to do with lack of glycogen or too much fluid loss, which can lean to muscle cramps and general fatigue.

I suppose it also depends on pacing and the kind of terrain you're running on - flat, hilly or both. Add to that the weather conditions - cold, warm, humid; and your general sense of well-being. In other words are you in the right frame of mind.

It doe take time and patience, and trial & error, but you will break through the wall. And once you've done it a couple of times the rest of the run is a breeze

Good luck!
Thank you. Im quite lucky in that I don’t get cramps, just a real overwhelming sense of fatigue. But only after 5k. Up until then I’m fine. I’ve noticed that if I dont eat a lot in the days before it makes running harder.

I've had a bad hip flexor injury that still hasn't healed yet, unfortunately...missing my fave running weather of the year :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Oooh yay a running thread, love running! I’ve only got so far as a half marathon, which I managed this summer, but I’ve now been running frequently for about 2.5 years now.

I’m not very fast - my best 5k is only 28.15 but to be honest I really enjoy a long slow run more than going quick!

I have a bit of a cold at the minute so haven’t got out for a few days but hoping to get in a couple of 5ks this week then however far I can get in 90 mins on Sunday.

Does anyone use garmin coach plans at all?

Reactions: 4
Thanks for the mention!

I’ve always been a terrible runner. When I was younger I couldn't even run between two lamp posts! However the other year I decided to train to run to 5k without stopping and actually did it. I loved how it made me feel and being able to accomplish a fitness goal that felt so out of reach was incredible. Unfortunately, I haven't really improved too much since then but still regularly run.

My goals are:
- run 5k in under half an hour
- run a 10k without stopping

Does anyone have any tips to reach either of these goals?

I’m so glad this was made!

Reactions: 7
Thanks for the mention!

I’ve always been a terrible runner. When I was younger I couldn't even run between two lamp posts! However the other year I decided to train to run to 5k without stopping and actually did it. I loved how it made me feel and being able to accomplish a fitness goal that felt so out of reach was incredible. Unfortunately, I haven't really improved too much since then but still regularly run.

My goals are:

I'm the same tbh, I'm quite happy plodding along on a 5k. Not very fast either. But everyone runs for different reasons and gets different things out of it :) which is why it's so great!
There is a 'bridge to 10k' app I believe that follows on from the couch to 5k, I haven't used it myself but my sister used it for her 10ks and it worked a treat

Reactions: 5
I started running in 2017. I never thought i'd be able to do it. I'm not fast at all. My normal 5k is around 32-33 mins and 10k in around 1hr 4mins. But it makes me feel amazing. I always feel physically and mentally better after a run. I'd love to run more often but I only manage once a week when I'm working and around 3 times a week when I'm off. Back in may I ran over 70k, the most i've ever run in a month.

The furthest I've run is around 11k and i really have no desire to run anymore than that, i don't care about time or pace, i just run because i enjoy it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What’s so good about running when you get into it ? Is it really good once you start and get past the barrier ? How do you feel ?

Thanks for the mention!

My goals are:

Do you have a running watch? Is it a garmin? If so I would recommend Garmin coach.

If not, there are a lot of training plans out there to help, I followed a vitality 10k plan to get my 10k under an hour (this one )

But they also have a beginners 10k plan here:

The improvers one helped me get about 3/4 mins off my 10k time so they are good ☺

• Heart
I think if people are struggling to push for 10k my advice would be to slow the pace RIGHT down.

Reactions: 3
What’s so good about running when you get into it ? Is it really good once you start and get past the barrier ? How do you feel ?
For me I often actually wonder if I like the running part at all...I think I don't mind it, but it's the side effects that I love. Sleeping better, eating better, feel happier, feels great to get some air and feel like I've achieved something that day, feeling fitness improve...definitely really helps regulate MH as well, especially in the darker months where many people struggle more (I really do)

Reactions: 6
I almost almost finished couch 25k in the first lockdown, was on week 9 and my ankle blew up, was sooooo disappointed ! Never ever ran my whole life so it was quite an achievement to complete each week !
Went out yesterday and started on week 6 so hoping to complete a 5k by the end of the year !! Out again tomo !!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For me I often actually wonder if I like the running part at all...I think I don't mind it, but it's the side effects that I love. Sleeping better, eating better, feel happier, feels great to get some air and feel like I've achieved something that day, feeling fitness improve...definitely really helps regulate MH as well, especially in the darker months where many people struggle more (I really do)
Thanks

This is a great thread! I’ve just started running again, never done it for more than a few weeks at a time so never seen any real improvement. I want to try and stick to it this time! I currently run 5k in 38 minutes and would love to get to under 30 minutes e.g. 29 minutes 59 seconds 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Do you have a running watch? Is it a garmin? If so I would recommend Garmin coach.

If not, there are a lot of training plans out there to help, I followed a vitality 10k plan to get my 10k under an hour (this one )

But they also have a beginners 10k plan here:

The improvers one helped me get about 3/4 mins off my 10k time so they are good ☺
I don’t have one but I was planning to get one in the Black Friday deals! Do any of the Garmin watches track your general heart rate for anxiety purposes? I want one that would also tell me to breathe properly haha.

Are there any other equipment that are a must if you want to get serious about it?

I'm the same tbh, I'm quite happy plodding along on a 5k. Not very fast either. But everyone runs for different reasons and gets different things out of it :) which is why it's so great!
There is a 'bridge to 10k' app I believe that follows on from the couch to 5k, I haven't used it myself but my sister used it for her 10ks and it worked a treat
Some run for the fun of it, some has a healthy option, and others for competitive reasons.

Whatever the reason it does the body good, and keeps the heart in good order. The only downside is if you do it too much you do stand to knacker your joints after a few years pounding the roads.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.