The Royal Family #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh the Bath woman is fabulous, she had a TV show before strictly, I liked her. I think she had a .....wet nurse for the children, a bizarre concept to me and in todays world.
That is fecking Meghans dress, how funny!!!!
I might have to stick on Piers tomorrow morning just for lolz and I eagerly await the mails grovelling.

Reactions: 2
Oh the Bath woman is fabulous, she had a TV show before strictly, I liked her. I think she had a .....wet nurse for the children, a bizarre concept to me and in todays world.
That is fecking Meghans dress, how funny!!!!
I might have to stick on Piers tomorrow morning just for lolz and I eagerly await the mails grovelling.
Oddly another example of Meghan copying someone else's style. Now that l do find bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Is this the right thread to discuss Princess Margaret?

I've just finished reading Ma'am Darling, which was a sort-of biography of her (it's amazing, written by the diary editor of Tatler) and... what a life.

So much to unpack. So many rumours, so much scandal. The men, the gin and the cigarettes. Scalding both her feet while getting into the bath on Mustique. Where do you even start?

Reactions: 9
Oddly another example of Meghan copying someone else's style. Now that l do find bizarre.
And did she ask Givenchy to design the dress modeled after AvL’s dress? So strange.

MM always seems to copy someone. I find this interesting from a psychological perspective

I've just finished reading Ma'am Darling, which was a sort-of biography of her (it's amazing, written by the diary editor of Tatler) and... what a life.

So much to unpack. So many rumours, so much scandal. The men, the gin and the cigarettes. Scalding both her feet while getting into the bath on Mustique. Where do you even start?
I read “Lady in Waiting” and there was a lot about PM in there, too, especially about her times on Mustique

Yes, this is the right thread ;)

The main thing that sticks out to me abut Margaret is always what a raging btch she was. Not allowing anyone to get up from the dining table before her, not even letting a pregnant woman go to the loo and I don't get why people went along with this bs?

Kate's dress was also a copy of Grace Kelly's and Isabella Orsini's.

Eugenie's has really grown on me, I think it was one of the best hands-down.

Reactions: 8
The cynic in me thinks that Harry and Meghan have been thrown to the lions in order to protect Andrew. It makes me so angry that they are getting so much abuse from the press when he’s getting away scot free, why isn’t Piers Morgan asking why Andrew has been extradited to the USA instead of slating H&M?
I think this is likely

Reactions: 7
I loved Beatrices dress, it was the best by far. Kate had to have built in padding on the hips to give her shape, which I'm kind of jealous of.
Margaret scalding her feet was horrific, I'm not sure if she took a funny turn or was full. Her lady in waiting said she couldn't even switch a kettle on.

Reactions: 6
Who was the aristo who went on Strictly? I think she was a marquess? Her mother in law didn't attend their wedding because her son was 'polluting the bloodline'.
Emma, Marchioness of Bath now. Her father is a Nigerian chief and oil billionaire. Her father in law boycotted her wedding to the then Viscount Weymouth after feuding with his son who made changes to murals his father had painted at Longleat - with all his 'wifelets' pictured I believe... His mother was banned by her son because of her racist remarks.

• Wow
Eugenie's dress reminds me of Sleeping Beauty, it's a bit too traditional for me.

For the life of me l can't figure out how a grown woman who is able bodied scalds her feet in the bath
It was like that, I think I just bought into the romanticism of it all, it was very me, I'd have worn it.
Every time I think of the scalding I wince. She had a number of strokes, maybe it was that.

Has there been any other mixed race/black members of the royal family in recent times? Such as partners or anything
Meghan isn’t the first mixed race member of the Royal Household as Lady Davina Windsor married Gary Lewis who is half Māori. Their children, Senna Kowhai and Tāne Mahuta, are in the line of succession. But I guess she’s the first one who is higher up? I don’t know, seems poor reporting that they say she’s the first mixed race person when she isn’t.

This will only polarise things further because most people have made up their mind are firmly in one camp - everything is noise to the other camp.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Scalding both her feet while getting into the bath on Mustique. Where do you even start?
From what I remember (I find Princess M quite interesting so I’ve read a bit about her but she would have been a nightmare to know!) she went in the shower/bath to wash her hair but she accidentally turned the heat up full whack which meant boiling water from the bath taps ended up directly on her feet. She was apparently too distressed to move until her personal detective broke down the door after one of her staff raised the alarm. I think they saw steam coming from under the door?!
What didn’t help was that Margaret brushed it off and wouldn’t get help until a few weeks later when her -in-waiting, Anne Glenconner, phoned the Queen and she was rushed back home because she needed hospital treatment ASAP. She should have gone to hospital straight away, especially as she had a blood circulation disorder. Even when she was in hospital here she refused medical advice as she was told she would need skin grafts.
There is some thought I’ve read over the years that she was experiencing a mental decline and this affected her ability to understand the gravity of the situation. Some people have said it could have been the start of dementia which wasn’t as understood as it is now in the late 90s/early 00s. Plus the Royal Family have an atrocious track record with members of their family who are mentally unwell. Combine that with her reputation (even her closest friends were too scared to say anything to her) and her heavy drinking and smoking I would say it could lead to very impaired judgement and a rapid decline.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Kate's dress was also a copy of Grace Kelly's and Isabella Orsini's.
I’m not a mad fan of Kate’s dress. I like the skirt but the top half with the sleeves doesn’t do it for me. Also it was very white and bright which again I’m not a fan of. Didn’t realise how similar it was to Isabella Orsini’s!

Not British Royal Family but I think Queen Soraya of Iran had the most bougie wedding dress: 37 yards of silver lamé studded with pearls, 6,000 diamond pieces, and 20,000 marabou feathers - all combined it weighed a whopping 44 pounds! She wore a veil and mink jacket for the service and afterwards took off the jacket and wore emerald and diamond tiara, necklace, rings and bracelet.
Her life seems to have not been a fairytale though - the Shah divorced her a few years later because she hadn’t conceived. In a sad turn of events, when he later remarried and had a son he was exiled - so the son he needed so badly never got to rule Iran.
BC7EDC96-4E30-41EE-AA26-EEAB89BBCE4C.jpeg
81E3A5F5-97A6-4407-B2A8-2E945292A228.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
The Times must want a twitter war by framing it as Royal Aides tell of the bullying allegations - that's the easiest way to get lots of people to go 'Smear, Smear, Smear' and ignore the substance and maybe even risk the 25-30% who are pro Meghan and Harry turning on the whole of idea of monachy which currently a lot of them still support.

I’m not a mad fan of Kate’s dress. I like the skirt but the top half with the sleeves doesn’t do it for me. Also it was very white and bright which again I’m not a fan of. Didn’t realise how similar it was to Isabella Orsini’s!

Not British Royal Family but I think Queen Soraya of Iran had the most bougie wedding dress: 37 yards of silver lamé studded with pearls, 6,000 diamond pieces, and 20,000 marabou feathers - all combined it weighed a whopping 44 pounds! She wore a veil and mink jacket for the service and afterwards took off the jacket and wore emerald and diamond tiara, necklace, rings and bracelet.
Her life seems to have not been a fairytale though - the Shah divorced her a few years later because she hadn’t conceived. In a sad turn of events, when he later remarried and had a son he was exiled - so the son he needed so badly never got to rule Iran.
View attachment 464040View attachment 464041
Same! I like Kate's dress's bottom half (the skirt, the embroidery is great and the stuff at the back on her bum and the way the train is incorporated into the skirt), but the upper bit... The sleeves were imo too tight and the cone boobs were the worst thing, literally the first thing I saw with that dress.
Everyone went on how it was Grace Kelly inspired, when it looked like an almost exact copy of Isabella's.

The Iranians didn't do anything by half! They went all out! They had some great jewellery, too. Some drool worthy tiaras (and everything else lol).
I know this story (though only this small bit as you wrote it up), it's really sad. I think they still loved each other. Quite cruel to divorce Soraya because of lack of heir, but I don't know how "acceptable" it was amongst their circles and at the time.
Soraya was very very beautiful! I love seeing old pics of her.

Reactions: 3

View attachment 464040View attachment 464041
The Queen met her on their state visit to the UK in the 1950's - I wonder if the pics survive.

Two of the four Kids the Shah had with his third wife have died from the effects of depression.

• Sad
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.