The Royal Family #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know those threads can be toxic but I think there is a wider point to be made about how she wanted her pregnancy kept very quiet (totally understandable imo) but then goes on Oprah revealing the gender of her unborn baby. It seems odd.
That did seem odd.

Reactions: 8
They can give her those back you know? Also, if she was travelling as part of the Royal Family for tours etc. or if she hired a jet you don't need a passport. And of course, she needs her licence - what if she was stopped at any point whilst driving? The first thing you do is hand over your licence, and her US licence would be invalid over here! - Maybe ask yourself why the palace wanted those things from her instead of trying to find stories people can disprove.
The only person that doesn't need a passport when traveling to foreign countries is the Queen. Everybody else does.

Meghan lived in the UK for something like two years, I'm sure that a smart cookie like her was able to acquire a UK drivers licence in that time. You DON'T need to have your drivers licence on you when you are driving on UK roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I know all families are different but I'd like to say that I am mixed race and it was up for debate between my parents and family members what colour I would be (I was the first child). My dad told my mum he wanted a brown girl and a white boy but they ended up getting the opposite. And there was much discussion about it in the delivery room as well. None of it was racist - it was my parents! Of course they were curious. It's just natural isn't it?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I know all families are different but I'd like to say that I am mixed race and it was up for debate between my parents and family members what colour I would be (I was the first child). My dad told my mum he wanted a brown girl and a white boy but they ended up getting the opposite. And there was much discussion about it in the delivery room as well. None of it was racist - it was my parents! Of course they were curious. It's just natural isn't it?
I've had the same conversations as I have different race parents and my kid also is mixed race. For me, it was more just wondering their skin tone rather than having a preference which I think is the issue in this case. Was said person hoping for a light skinned baby or just wondering? Even if it was innocent, it should've been kept quiet unless the parents of the baby brought it up.

Reactions: 11
I think its the context in which skin colour was discussed that is the issue. From what I gather the sussexes have alleged it was discussed around titles and security but I may have picked it up wrong.

Reactions: 8
Crikey, what happens if Edward made the comments? His way of trying to become relevant again. (Does he still exist?)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Good riddance to both of them. A pair of spoiled brats acting like they have no money yet both have millions.
They complain that Canada didn't want to foot the bill for security...why should we?! So glad they left and are now in the USA.

Reactions: 14
That’s reassuring to hear you say that. If one of my mixed race friends has babies in the future I know for sure that it’s a topic we would discuss and there would be categorically no racist element from my
part. It would be no difference if we spoke about whose hair colour they would inherit if indeed they were born with hair!

I don’t know if I’m the only one but I have no idea what to make of it all 🤷‍♀️

I don’t think Harry and Meghan are making it up but at the same time their story has so many holes and contradictions I’m not sure what to believe. I believe if they wanted to ‘set the story’ straight the interview with James cordon was enough I don’t think this Oprah interview was needed

I also have mixed race relatives and when they had children the colour of the skin was discussed along with, hair, nose, eyes etc. However if racism is in the royle family then it does fully need investigating and holding that person to account regardless of who it is. Coming forward now and confirming oh it’s now the Queen or Phillip just turns the whole thing into even more of a circus.

I feel they have a similar relationship love/hate relationship with the media to what Diana had. Court them for attention today but want nothing to do with them the next day. Having said that I do think Meghan gets treated harshly but the media do love the create a villain but I don’t think they will ever ‘step away’.

Reactions: 4
Hold on. I just saw a clip on the news where Meghen said '...concerns and conversations over how dark his skin might be". Obviously can't tell the context yet but the news stuff I read said was allud
I think its the context in which skin colour was discussed that is the issue. From what I gather the sussexes have alleged it was discussed around titles and security but I may have picked it up wrong.
That's how I read it in the media but when I saw the clip at lunchtime it actually sounded like two seperate things.

Reactions: 2
I think the issue is, key word, ‘concern’. If there was going to be an issue if Archie was darker. What that might mean. A open conversation started by H&M in a lighthearted nature of what their baby might look like is different.
A) If it was never brought up in a form of discussion by the parents, it should of never been talked about.
B) The issue is, why was there concern? Why did there need to be a discussion alluding negatively to the fact Archie might of been ‘darker.’ What is so awful about a mixed race or a black baby? Nothing. That’s just the racism. No excuse.

I would have said so, in the same way I wondered whether my baby would be ginger. (For the record, nothing against people with ginger hair....)

My BIL is from India, I know we all discussed (with them) whether her baby would be lighter-skinned or dark-skinned. It wasn't a negative thing at all, just curiosity in the same way we wonder about blue eyes or brown eyes. But I can see it really depends on the context.

Reactions: 3
I would have said so, in the same way I wondered whether my baby would be ginger. (For the record, nothing against people with ginger hair....)

My BIL is from India, I know we all discussed (with them) whether her baby would be lighter-skinned or dark-skinned. It wasn't a negative thing at all, just curiosity in the same way we wonder about blue eyes or brown eyes. But I can see it really depends on the context.
I think the fact in that discussion between Harry and whoever, the alluding that there may be negative consequences if Archie was darker. Obviously, an open discussion of what a baby would look like isn’t necessarily negative on its own. For me, it’s context like you say- why it matters and why this person viewed it as a bad thing if Archie was dark.

Reactions: 5
I think the issue is, key word, ‘concern’. If there was going to be an issue if Archie was darker. What that might mean. A open conversation started by H&M in a lighthearted nature of what their baby might look like is different.
But that word 'concern' could very well be a carefully chosen term by Meghan. I doubt very much ANY of the RF said they were 'concerned'. I mean, they weren't blind, they know Meghan is mixed race so why the concern.

I think the fact in that discussion between Harry and whoever, the alluding that there may be negative consequences if Archie was darker. Obviously, an open discussion of what a baby would look like isn’t necessarily negative on its own. For me, it’s context like you say- why it matters and why this person viewed it as a bad thing if Archie was dark.
Playing devil's advocate - they may NOT have viewed it as a bad thing, that might be how Meghan and Harry interpreted the situation. Who knows. Only the people that were involved will ever know the truth.

Reactions: 7
But that word 'concern' could very well be a carefully chosen term by Meghan. I doubt very much ANY of the RF said they were 'concerned'. I mean, they weren't blind, they know Meghan is mixed race so why the concern.
It’s a big claim to make if no truthfulness behind it, or it wasn’t perceived by them to come across as racist. I imagine the other party was not aware of how it may have sounded or perceived.

I find it impossible to believe they wouldn't have discussed whether the baby would be a red head either.

From what I've heard (I've yet to watch myself), she is saying that someone said to Harry they were concerned the baby would be dark skinned but she's framing that in the context of her child not being offered security or the HRH title? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, although it is absolutely meaningless, Archie is clearly fair skinned so this whole conversation is just a joke.

Reactions: 4
It’s a big claim to make if no truthfulness behind it, or it wasn’t perceived by them to come across as racist. I imagine the other party was not aware of how it may have sounded or perceived.
It is a very big claim to make, which is why they should have dealt with it differently, rather than alluding to something and someone. I'm not saying that isn't what they felt, just that the word 'concern' is more than likely one they have chosen to use and maybe not reflective of what was actually said.

Reactions: 1
It is a very big claim to make, which is why they should have dealt with it differently, rather than alluding to something and someone. I'm not saying that isn't what they felt, just that the word 'concern' is more than likely one they have chosen to use and maybe not reflective of what was actually said.
I get your point. It’s caused more of a media storm than they probably originally imagined. Because without context, or even knowing who, it’s just a guessing game. I would like to think it was meant harmlessly and was just how H&M interpreted. But until we have further elaboration we will never know.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.