Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
I just don’t get the Camilla hate still. Diana died 25 years ago. Charles and Camilla have been married far longer and far happier than he and Diana. The line of succession isn’t altered. Charles didn’t marry her till Diana had passed. Would he have married her anyway - possibly? How could we know?

Camilla is hard working and doesn’t try to hog any limelight. She just gets on with the job. There are lots of blended families in the UK. Our monarchy needs modernisation to survive. There’s much bigger issues on the UK at present than this in my humble opinion.

Reactions: 44

hannah123

VIP Member
Do we have a view on Camilla as Queen? I no likey. Too soon, and when they were married, it was always said she’d be Princess Consort; the late Queen said she’d be designated Queen Consort. Don’t get me wrong, I like her, they’re a well-suited couple and she’s been good for him. It just all feels a bit sneaky.
No other Queen has ever been referred to as Queen Consort, even Albert and Philip were simply Prince and not Prince Consort. She’s the wife of the reigning King so is the Queen. Her getting a lesser title because people liked his ex wife is just sexist and once again finds a way to put an affair solely onto the woman.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Again, I would just like to point out for the Daily Mail that wearing clothes twice is not in any way, shape or form ‘recycling’. It’s wearing the same item twice.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

regularvoltaire

Here’s my hot take: I think The King will be brilliant. I’ve been looking forward to his reign, as I think a monarch with a great conscience and an informed educated opinion is what we need in this century. The late Queen was amazing at having a presence, but The King doesn’t have time for that to build, so I personally think that he needs to wield his soft power with thoughtful causes.
The St Diana lot will never be convinced, but I will always believe that they were stupidly forced together and that never would have worked. He loved Camilla, was sent away cos she ‘wasn’t suitable’, she realised that and married elsewhere to a very dashing man, who could blame her? Diana played away too, many times and with married men.
It was all such a shame that QETQM masterminded a stupid plan in the age of debutantes.
I am glad QC has had the ‘consort’ title dropped. She has put her head above the parapet marrying Charles and has shown herself to be an intelligent and kind woman.

• Sick
Reactions: 32

Lammington

VIP Member
It makes me sad that people would vandalise the post box toppers. Royal connection or no, someone put hours of work into that just to add something pretty to their neighbourhood. They do no harm, destruction just seems cruel.

Reactions: 32

50sGirl

VIP Member
I think it’s widely reported that when she died their relationship was the best it had been for years. I too think she would have moved abroad. It would be interesting to see if she remained the darling of the press and public or if, like with most people, the tide turned against her at some point. I imagine she would have got herself caught up in some mild scandals of sorts but likely would have also done some great work in her chosen charity fields. It’s crazy to imagine the big royal moments eg Will and Kate’s wedding with her there, potentially with a new husband, on the front row
Imho the tide was turning against Diana just before she died.
I can remember being fed up with the constant press coverage just before her death.

Re Camilla, when she was finally with Charles I’ll admit I was one who said she should never be queen.
I’ve done a complete 180 now. She was vilified in the press and in real life too but she kept her head down and never complained. She never did a “woe is me” interview unlike some and she had it far worse than all of them. She has earned her place to be beside her King as his Queen. I like her.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

hannah123

VIP Member
I sup

I suppose at least he spoke out rather than brief in a covert way… I agree with the poster who said although he behaves like a twit, there’s no denying he has legitimate grievances.

I really admired the queen and don’t mind Charles but in general this family just come off so badly for me. Petty, dysfunctional and everything so CURATED. I bet Kate is a mean girl!
What I took away from Spare is Harrys biggest grievance with his family is he was born 2nd, full stop. A lot of the scenarios he created in his head, like having one less sausage than the older and bigger William, or having the smaller bedroom, it was him that created those into something more than they were rather than just asking for another sausage.

• Haha
Reactions: 29

Great_Kate

VIP Member
Or maybe he would have preferred not have a monarchy but was also not having extra strong feelings about it, so had no problem to accept the OBE and could see the value in Camilla’s work and maybe even like her as a person? I mean that’s a completely normal approach. Just because I prefer white wine doesn’t mean I can’t drink red and also enjoy it. It seems people have no idea that you can live happily even if things aren’t exactly as you want them to and that not everything has to be accompanied by deep feelings.
It would also be completely possible to support a republican movement and still accept the order and work with a royal charity and like a royal as a person.
Really, it seems people have no idea to be calm and balanced about anything anymore. Everything little thing gets polarised, it’s crazy. And at the same time everyone expects people to be accepting that a heterogeneous society has multiple views and ways of life. It certainly can’t be both though.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Honeystar

VIP Member
This latest leaked story about the letters raises two big things imo -

1) Meghan literally sued The Daily Mail for publishing a private letter she wrote but now she presumably has leaked the intel about these letters and what they were about to The Telegraph. It doesn’t make Charles or the RF look good so it has to have come from them.

2) Harry had repeatedly said no member has reached out to them etc and yet actually Charles wrote to Meghan first? So which is it?

You do have to question this I think. On the day that the news is full of the photo Kate took of the kids with the Queen this is released to take the headlines. There’s been a lot of talk that Harry and Meghan wanted a photo of “Lilibet and Lilibet” but the Queen said no, was Meghan that jealous that Kate was allowed to do what she wasn’t that she leaked this?

Oh I don’t know it’s all such a mess I’m sick of the two of them and this bloody rehashed royal racist story that I think most people have already determined wasn’t a racist comment at all

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Lammington

VIP Member
As horrible as it is, she knew what she was getting into marrying a royal....
I think it's far more to do with the fact that she's a woman who married a royal. When was the last time Mike Tindall had his body size, facial features, or hair style scrutinised and treated as public property to be assessed?

Reactions: 27

Honeystar

VIP Member
Personally I fully support William suing over phone hacking (wasn’t Kate hacked over 100 times?) it’s vile, just as he sued over the topless photos of Kate and just as I support Harry suing now.

I don’t personally see the issue with it being kept private, or him wanting an out of court settlement, to avoid drama and hysteria and keep the focus on the job. Taking a privacy case to court as a public figure is somewhat counter productive as it means the very things and more you wanted to keep private are going to be dragged through a public court. Personally I think they’re entitled to a private life and for private things to happen within that, as long as that private life doesn’t impact the job then as far as I’m concerned they can do what they like

I think there’s a sense of ownership over the royals where we expect to know every tiny thing about them and what they do

Honeystar

VIP Member
I think Camilla is doing a great job. I always thought, and there are MANY people who will disagree with me, that she wanted Charles not the role. And by that I mean he was her one true love but she would have probably quite happily swerved the public role that came with being his wife. Not to mention she had to take all this on much later in life and has an impossible comparison being flung at her at every turn. When it was revealed that she was soldering on with a broken toe (?) whilst on her feet for god knows how long when the Queen died she cemented the fact that she would do anything to support Charles. I think she’s great for him and had they never been allowed to marry or be together I think he would be a totally different, and probably less likeable, man.

• Heart

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Lovely photo taken by POW at Balmoral last summer. Released today in recognition of what would have been HMQ’s 97th birthday ❤
I don’t have children and I’m not sure I will be able to because of health issues but I think it’s rather incredible to have a photo like that. In your mid 90’s with your grandchildren and great grandchildren. Such a lovely and touching image. It’s quite an accomplishment.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

50sGirl

VIP Member
They go - it's for Netflix, money and attention.

They don't go - they're disrespectful and have no regard for his father and family

He goes, she doesn't - she's gutless, she's sending him with cameras, she's unsupportive, he's a bad dad

I hope they're strong people because all this negativity no matter what they do is so damaging and painful.

Fwiw, I think Harry going and Meghan staying home is the right decision. Meghan can't win so why even bother pandering to the circus?
You’re quite correct, whatever they do they can’t win but they made their own bed…
This is what happens when you sell your soul for 30 pieces of silver.

Reactions: 25

travelbug20

I think this whole saga has highlighted how the heir to throne needs to have more than 2 kids tbh 😂

The Queen had 4 which gave her an heir and 3 "spares" meaning there were arguably 3 who were treated differently to 1 (the less said about how Andrew turned out of course the better)
Will and Kate have had 3 which means Charlotte and Louis will always be in the same camp, compared to George who will be treated differently

I think the big issue is that it was JUST Harry and William. Had there been a third sibling, Harry would have had an ally treated in the same way as him and the difference wouldn't have been so stark.

I hope I've explained myself well enough here

• Haha
Reactions: 25

hannah123

VIP Member
I don’t really understand the problem, William sued them and reached an out of court settlement. People reach settlements all the time, I don’t think there’s anything more honourable about taking it to court.

Reactions: 24

Honeystar

VIP Member
The problem with stuff like this is the royals get the rap when really it’s the government. Clearly I’m not privy to the conversations but I doubt Charles has asked for £8million to be spent on his new portraits or whatever. Anyone with a single brain cell knows that money could be far better spent in the current climate, or anytime really, but that’s down to our shitty government. It’s a bit like Boris and his obsession with a new royal ship or whatever it was that it then was revealed the royals didn’t even want or ask for 😂

I make no secret that I’m a royalist BUT think there’s a lot that needs to be modernised and changed, including how much they cost. But they are a great scapegoat for the government when it comes to public spending. The problem here isn’t the new portraits, it’s the teaching assistant cuts and the blame for that lands squarely with the government

Feel obliged to clear up that no I’m not after an MBE nor do I think we should be spending 8 million quid on this, but it frustrates me how it’s the governments decision what the money is spent on yet somehow there’s alway someone else to blame

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 23