The Royal Family #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t really understand the problem, William sued them and reached an out of court settlement. People reach settlements all the time, I don’t think there’s anything more honourable about taking it to court.

Reactions: 24
Last night on the news they talked about the YouGov poll which asked if we should abolish the monarchy and I saw them talking about it this morning on Jeremy Vine and I just feel like it’s a very pointless survey. Only 4,592 adults were asked from a population of 67 million. It’s hardly giving an accurate insight into question.

Reactions: 10
Personally I fully support William suing over phone hacking (wasn’t Kate hacked over 100 times?) it’s vile, just as he sued over the topless photos of Kate and just as I support Harry suing now.

I don’t personally see the issue with it being kept private, or him wanting an out of court settlement, to avoid drama and hysteria and keep the focus on the job. Taking a privacy case to court as a public figure is somewhat counter productive as it means the very things and more you wanted to keep private are going to be dragged through a public court. Personally I think they’re entitled to a private life and for private things to happen within that, as long as that private life doesn’t impact the job then as far as I’m concerned they can do what they like

I think there’s a sense of ownership over the royals where we expect to know every tiny thing about them and what they do

Reactions: 27
Honestly, most of the time I couldn’t give a stuff about their stuff… but tell me there’s been an out of Court settlement for stuff and I’ll be interested in what the stuff is.
I’m just a very nosey Streisand effect.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Personally I fully support William suing over phone hacking (wasn’t Kate hacked over 100 times?) it’s vile, just as he sued over the topless photos of Kate and just as I support Harry suing now.

I don’t personally see the issue with it being kept private, or him wanting an out of court settlement, to avoid drama and hysteria and keep the focus on the job. Taking a privacy case to court as a public figure is somewhat counter productive as it means the very things and more you wanted to keep private are going to be dragged through a public court. Personally I think they’re entitled to a private life and for private things to happen within that, as long as that private life doesn’t impact the job then as far as I’m concerned they can do what they like

I think there’s a sense of ownership over the royals where we expect to know every tiny thing about them and what they do
I agree. I thought that loads of celebrities had settled out of court and that there was only a few continuing on with the case - Harry being one of them. Wasn't Charlotte Church another one of them? I don't think it's greed on Harry or William's part. News of the World broke the law repeatedly over a long period of time and they've had to pay for it.

Reactions: 13
I don't think it's greed at all. In their shoes I'd be bleeping furious and good for them.

News International is a criminal enterprise that has poisoned our media and politics for years.

Reading some of the stuff about the Fox News Vs Dominion lawsuit, the MO for Murdoch's media businesses is clearly to lie and cheat for money and leave everyone else to suffer the consequences.

In this case I'm very much team William and Harry. Normally I don't give a stuff.

From what I can gather Harry has included this in his case to prove that he has a case, a sort of well you reached a settlement with William so you must be guilty kind of thing. What I don’t think there was need for was to position it as a “secret” settlement, every time it just feels like Harry wants to spite his brother and twist the knife. Did he even tell William he was revealing this? If not, surely he’s invading his privacy how ironic

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I don't disagree the phone hacking scandal was horrific, what I mean is it seems pretty greedy to get a settlement years and years later after the entire scope has changed - thankfully. Harry seems to be using this like @Honeystar said as an excuse - 'My brother got money, I want money too!' although he was mostly left alone, wasn't it Kate that was hacked 120+ times?

Not to mention him blaming the media for his reputation. Your cheating, drug taking arse did it all on your own, Harry. He was fine with it when he was the most popular member of the family due to palace PR and lies, covering for his horrible behavior.

From what I can gather Harry has included this in his case to prove that he has a case, a sort of well you reached a settlement with William so you must be guilty kind of thing. What I don’t think there was need for was to position it as a “secret” settlement, every time it just feels like Harry wants to spite his brother and twist the knife. Did he even tell William he was revealing this? If not, surely he’s invading his privacy how ironic
The thing is though, if William did settle in 2020 NGN will have to explain why time barring didn't matter in his case. 2020 was at least 8 years past the alleged agreement between the RF and NGN. The statute of limitations is 6 years max. A question springs to mind further to that. If William got 'an enormous settlement', why didn't Harry? Why was he actively discouraged from following it up and William wasn't?

Reactions: 7
I don't disagree the phone hacking scandal was horrific, what I mean is it seems pretty greedy to get a settlement years and years later after the entire scope has changed - thankfully. Harry seems to be using this like @Honeystar said as an excuse - 'My brother got money, I want money too!' although he was mostly left alone, wasn't it Kate that was hacked 120+ times?

Not to mention him blaming the media for his reputation. Your cheating, drug taking arse did it all on your own, Harry. He was fine with it when he was the most popular member of the family due to palace PR and lies, covering for his horrible behavior.
I think I read that Kate was the most hacked person of anyone during the scandal, over 150 times. I’ve not fact checked if that’s true though. I don’t think there’s any big secrets to why William’s settled that he didn’t want revealing, probably just him calling Kate babykins like last time.

Reactions: 2
The thing is though, if William did settle in 2020 NGN will have to explain why time barring didn't matter in his case. 2020 was at least 8 years past the alleged agreement between the RF and NGN. The statute of limitations is 6 years max. A question springs to mind further to that. If William got 'an enormous settlement', why didn't Harry? Why was he actively discouraged from following it up and William wasn't?
NGN certainly need to explain their argument, but I think this is one where without breaching privacy they can't fully outline why any difference on encouragement to pursue the cases took place, and that's not an ideal situation where it can be painted any number of ways.

It may well be that they originally had the same counsel and only William's case seemed significant enough to pursue. They may have had different counsel and received differing advice/only William's moved when they should have. Hell, Harry may have chosen not to pursue it at the time and decided he wanted to get in there following a few years stewing on his emotions towards his family and the media.

It feels like it's being played as another chapter in Harry feels hard done by by his family so drags them through the press, which I don't think is the right play.

Reactions: 11
NGN certainly need to explain their argument, but I think this is one where without breaching privacy they can't fully outline why any difference on encouragement to pursue the cases took place, and that's not an ideal situation where it can be painted any number of ways.

It may well be that they originally had the same counsel and only William's case seemed significant enough to pursue. They may have had different counsel and received differing advice/only William's moved when they should have. Hell, Harry may have chosen not to pursue it at the time and decided he wanted to get in there following a few years stewing on his emotions towards his family and the media.

It feels like it's being played as another chapter in Harry feels hard done by by his family so drags them through the press, which I don't think is the right play.
You may well be right. My (cynical) thought is that NGN could have gambled on H being unpopular enough that there was no need to butter him up with the aforementioned huge amount of money and that they could string him along indefinitely. I hope to be proved wrong because that would be truly gross, after all the exercise of the law is not predicated on whether we like somebody. Or at least it shouldn't be!

Reactions: 4
I think Harry went his own way because he was pissed he was represented WITH William, and wanted it and wanted it now.

He's also using the argument 'these people killed Mummy'.

I think he will win, regardless. He and Meghan have proven they can lie in a court of law and it's fine for them, whereas us plebs would be destroyed for it.

Reactions: 11
You may well be right. My (cynical) thought is that NGN could have gambled on H being unpopular enough that there was no need to butter him up with the aforementioned huge amount of money and that they could string him along indefinitely. I hope to be proved wrong because that would be truly gross, after all the exercise of the law is not predicated on whether we like somebody. Or at least it shouldn't be!
I don't think that would fit the timeline well - Harry's popularity was declining but hadn't tanked.
As a general rule, lawyers assess the viability of pushing for trial or settlement. While they'll take your money most of the time, pursuing a losing case doesn't look good for them so a good firm will take on and push harder for a case they know they can win. If nothing else, a stronger case means a bigger settlement and more cut for them, generally.

Claims of favouritism seem to be a recurrent storyline in the Harry saga, but when it comes to a legal situation where both parties are adults with legal representatives, sibling rivalry doesn't really hold up.

Reactions: 4
I thought Harry didn't settle because he wanted to go to court and expose what happened. I didn't think it had anything to do with William.

Reactions: 6
So what I read was Harry wanted to sue and Willaim backed him so the Queen agreed and the process began, around the time of Harry’s wedding. Harry wasn’t happy about how fast everything was progressing so changed lawyers, in 2020 Williams reached a settlement for him but for whatever reason Harry’s didn’t (either the lawyer wasn’t as good or Harry wanted it to go to court who knows) which has brought us here

Isn't it likely that the palace will have strong-armed NGN to settle with William? "If this gets to court your royal reporter won't be getting much access to the future kings" or something similar?

To me, he’s got Williams eyes and his nose and mouth are like Kate’s father. Charlotte and George both have blonde hair so seem to have got that from the Spencer side. Hopefully both boys can keep a head of hair because Michael Middleton and Earl Spencer still look good, it’s just the Windsor fighting.
Charlotte’s hair is getting darker by the day. She’s going to be a brunette and thank goodness for that. The last thing she needs is all the Diana comparisons as she gets a bit older and the magazines start to speculate on her looks. She most resembles the late Queen so that will help her a lot (more than any other set of genes she could have inherited in fact) but they’re going to be relentless anyway poor girl. Any fashion faux pas and she’ll be crucified. But at least she won’t be getting the ‘ugly’ taunts like some have had 😔

Reactions: 9
Isn't it likely that the palace will have strong-armed NGN to settle with William? "If this gets to court your royal reporter won't be getting much access to the future kings" or something similar?
If NGN were willing to use illegal methods to get a story, I don't think threats of reduced access will stop them.
If a business settles, it's because that's the cheapest method. A large settlement is usually smaller than the settlement a court case results in, as well as the legal fees and likely loss of reputation.

A publicist wielding a threat has nothing on a lawyer waving an invoice.

Reactions: 7
Harry wants money. He sees himself as the arbiter of truth and justice in the world. He hates a free press, free speech, and blames media - including legitimate journalists who criticize him - for making him do drugs, behave as he has done, and so on; instead of blowing smoke up his arse like they did for so long because of the Palace PR machine. He is dangerously stupid.

Settling out of court seems very common. Harry probably wants to yell and whine and waaagh in a court of law about how Mummy was killed by the press, the press made him do everything, Granny, 'Pa' and William all threw him under the bus and abused him...

I don't think this is so much about phone hacking as it is him seeing himself as some savior of the world. Remember we NEED Harry to tell us how to think and behave!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.