The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve seen the Swedish RF wear their national dress to certain events which is quite cool:
View attachment 1886684
In Monaco Gabriella and Jacques have worn their national dress too
View attachment 1886687
It’s interesting what you said about designers take on national dress - I think that’s a really cool idea. I know it’s not coronation worthy but I’ve seen a few German designers who have created formal dirndl wear and it looks really nice!
View attachment 1886694View attachment 1886695View attachment 1886696View attachment 1886698
We don’t have a National dress, do we? 🤔

Reactions: 2
I don’t know why it’s annoyed me that the BRF have only sent Anne to Constantine’s funeral but it has a bit. Every other family has sent the King and Queen, even if Charles and Camilla didn’t want to go, I think they have a France trip very soon, why couldn’t William and Kate go? He was Williams godfather and Williams the heir, sending Anne and Williams cousin just feels a bit disrespectful when the same countries would never do the same in return. It reminded me yesterday my sister asked if I was going to read Prince Harrys book and said William and Kate come across as jobsworths, she might be just about the first person to ever think that about them, cause even with a clear calendar he still sends someone in his place.

Reactions: 8
Absolutely not! It's a Morris dancer's costume, which is obviously much more stylish.
You're all incorrect!
This is the true National dress… 😜
PS I knew Wales and Scotland had a National dress but didn’t think there was one for England. Even if there was, they’d not be able to use just Englands anyway.

4EAB65C3-DD56-4BF0-934F-AE4F1FB1C61A.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don’t know why it’s annoyed me that the BRF have only sent Anne to Constantine’s funeral but it has a bit. Every other family has sent the King and Queen, even if Charles and Camilla didn’t want to go, I think they have a France trip very soon, why couldn’t William and Kate go? He was Williams godfather and Williams the heir, sending Anne and Williams cousin just feels a bit disrespectful when the same countries would never do the same in return. It reminded me yesterday my sister asked if I was going to read Prince Harrys book and said William and Kate come across as jobsworths, she might be just about the first person to ever think that about them, cause even with a clear calendar he still sends someone in his place.
William is inherently lazy - he doesn't want to go so he won't. The way they have behaved to their royal cousins in the past - snubbing Daniel and Victoria at the 2012 Olympics for example - shows it...

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I believe Anne was already in Cyprus so it was possibly down to logistics.

Reactions: 2
This happens a lot at events - weddings, funerals etc. Everyone else sends the Monarch and their partner or the heir but we end up sending Anne or Edward. It often looks like we think are better than other Royals, it’s a bad look.

Reactions: 18
Couldn't agree more! Especially considering the close ties with the Greek royal family (or have they forgotten about Prince Phillip already?) I would have thought at least William should have gone. It really highlights two big problems, Williams reluctance to pick up these overseas events (for god sake he could be there and back within the same day!) and the Windsor's overall reluctance to form any kind of bond with European royals. Every European monarch (I think?) came for both QEII's funeral and Prince Phillips memorial and every single time there's a European event, we send either Anne or Edward and Sophie (no disrespect to either meant here but sending the 16th in line to throne seems a bit of a kick in the teeth)

Reactions: 17
This is a bit off-topic but I recently started listening to the audiobook of The Real Diana, by Lady Colin Campbell. It was written shortly after Diana died - how does it rate in terms of a reliable account of C&D's courtship & marriage? A lot of what I've read is at variance with what came out in more recent years (eg, the extent of C&D's relationship before the engagement). Or is there a good Tattle or Reddit thread I can go to if this isn't the right forum?
I dont think there is ever going to be a book that is that clear about it.

Diana, Her True Story, by Andrew Morton, was one of the first books about her, written with Diana's co operation.
Diana: Her True Story - In Her Own Words: Amazon.co.uk: Morton, Andrew: 9781854793843: Books

I think its one of the go to sources, But, Im hearing a lot more rumour and gossip about the period recently. So much so that I think its going to be very difficult to get a completely clear and accurate picture of the situation. Everyone has their own memories and their own interpretation, so its tricky to get to clear and honest facts.

I'm a similar age to Diana, so I have my own recollections, which were, Why did a lovely 19 year old girl, want to marry what I saw to be an old man!? To me there were a lot of elements at the time, that it was a convenient marriage for both of them, not really a love match.

So I have always felt a bit 'meh' about all the protestations about their being 3 in the marriage. They barely knew each other when they got married, and didnt really share many interests. Diana wanted marriage, security and children, by marrying Charles she got all three. Its just a massive shame that they ended up being so incompatible, and ended up seperating then divorcing.

Reactions: 9
Couldn't agree more! Especially considering the close ties with the Greek royal family (or have they forgotten about Prince Phillip already?) I would have thought at least William should have gone. It really highlights two big problems, Williams reluctance to pick up these overseas events (for god sake he could be there and back within the same day!) and the Windsor's overall reluctance to form any kind of bond with European royals. Every European monarch (I think?) came for both QEII's funeral and Prince Phillips memorial and every single time there's a European event, we send either Anne or Edward and Sophie (no disrespect to either meant here but sending the 16th in line to throne seems a bit of a kick in the teeth)
Sorry to double post, I can understand Charles not going as it would be his first overseas visit as King and I've seen rumours he's heading to France soon so going to Greece first may impact that but there's no excuse for William not going, especially considering Constantine was his godfather and I'm sure the kids would cope if he missed one school run :rolleyes:

Reactions: 10
I just don’t even think the school run is an excuse, he has missed bedtime in the past for sporting events. It annoyed me when The Queen was alive but now he’s the heir there’s no excuse to not try and forge relations, there’s a pre existing relationship through family and the other monarchies making an effort, in a time of Britain being desperate for connections Charles and William should be forced to make an effort.

Reactions: 13
Sorry to double post, I can understand Charles not going as it would be his first overseas visit as King and I've seen rumours he's heading to France soon so going to Greece first may impact that but there's no excuse for William not going, especially considering Constantine was his godfather and I'm sure the kids would cope if he missed one school run :rolleyes:
Anne was in Cyprus which I should think is probably why she went because she was so close already.

Reactions: 3
Anne was in Cyprus which I should think is probably why she went because she was so close already.
A BA return flight to Greece is a couple hundred quid when booked short notice, I’m sure William could have gone as well as Anne. Lady Gabriella is there as his goddaughter, William could have attended either as godson or in a professional capacity.

Reactions: 8
Maybe people don't get the choice to go and it's up to the reigning monarch 🤷

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.