The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wont they be wearing the robes and coronets of Duke/Duchess, Earl/Countess?
That is the question! They should be wearing their coronets and robes but will they, bearing in mind how the HoL has changed?
Editing to add that we cannot go on what has happened at more recent accession ceremonies as we are the only country in Europe that still has an actual coronation. That makes me think "Whoopee, everybody will be getting the sparklies out!"

Reactions: 1
Yes i think that's what it will be. A truce for the Coronation, then afterwards Charles has to sign letter patent that trim down the Royal Family, which will cause more upset, as he will have to strip Archie and Lili of their titles as he said he would. I cant see Harry and William speaking again.
Andrew, Harry and Meghan too if they have any sense. I think Harry should keep Prince as that was his birthright but not be allowed to use it. I’d like to see the Duke and Duchess taken away though. I think what Andrew did was far, far worse so all titles should be stripped from him.

Right - they would look ridiculous to go to the coronation sans official excuses. With all their accusations, it might be hard to then just go like everything is good.

Harry talks about how his emotional state has never been taken into account, yet he requested a meeting with Charles was burying his father, created a crisis while Charles' mother was on her deathbed and is putting a huge pressure on his father just months before the biggest event of his life - embarassing him in front of the whole world. People will remember that the year of Charles' coronation was also the year his own son was airing the rf's dirty laundry and talking about his penis. What a lovely son.
I’m not sure Charles will be remembered for being King so much in 5-10 centuries etc. unless it’s made into a another season of The Crown in the Georgian era for example. Charles did a lot more as Prince of Wales and King in Waiting. People will for sure remember the Harry stuff though, just like the Edward and Wallis saga is remembered.
The Royal Collection Trust still have them.
https://www.rct.uk/collection/theme...0-years-of-style-from-the-queens-wardrobe-0-0

Reactions: 3
Only the British monarch has an actual coronation. The other events aren't really coronations in the sense - inaugurations and more government events rather than a religious service with bling and prayer.
I never knew that - do you know why?

Possibly because they are the Head of the Church of England and it’s the whole anointed by God thing.
Looking online I found that Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands have never had one (maybe to do with head of the church like you suggested?) and that Denmark, Norway and Sweden discontinued theirs from 1849, 1906 and 1873 respectively which seems very early to discontinue them. In Spain there have been no coronations since the medieval times. Interesting!

There's a book about coronations that's fascinating, called appropriately - Coronation! It traces the history from the 900s AD to QEII's reign and suggests what has been talked about for Charles's in the modern era. Really good stuff, not at all dry.

There's a book about coronations that's fascinating, called appropriately - Coronation! It traces the history from the 900s AD to QEII's reign and suggests what has been talked about for Charles's in the modern era. Really good stuff, not at all dry.
Who’s the author? Going to see if it’s on Amazon!

This is a bit off-topic but I recently started listening to the audiobook of The Real Diana, by Lady Colin Campbell. It was written shortly after Diana died - how does it rate in terms of a reliable account of C&D's courtship & marriage? A lot of what I've read is at variance with what came out in more recent years (eg, the extent of C&D's relationship before the engagement). Or is there a good Tattle or Reddit thread I can go to if this isn't the right forum?

Only the British monarch has an actual coronation. The other events aren't really coronations in the sense - inaugurations and more government events rather than a religious service with bling and prayer.
Bling and prayer sounds like a gospel rap group, and I am here for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The Monegasque coronation of Albert in 2005 wasn’t as glamorous as I would have hoped:
View attachment 1885263View attachment 1885264View attachment 1885265
The coronation of Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands in 2013 was better but still not glam tiaras on the guests.
View attachment 1885269
That colour is stunning on Máxima.

Daniel of Sweden always reminds me of Dwight from The Office USA.

Who is the lady next to Albert of Monaco? She looks great, but black was a strange choice.

Reactions: 1
More than the finery at the coronation, I'm hoping we'll see outfits at least inspired by the national dress of the national representatives present. I'd like to see a lot of modern designers' takes on formal dress with cultural elements or nods.

Reactions: 5
More than the finery at the coronation, I'm hoping we'll see outfits at least inspired by the national dress of the national representatives present. I'd like to see a lot of modern designers' takes on formal dress with cultural elements or nods.
I think that is the norm already many cases. Most Arabic or African representatives do that to a certain extent. Mixing national elements (cuts, colours, embellishments) and the expected western standard for the occasion in their outfits. They adhere to rules around dress code but often within their cultural norms. Under the spoiler a few examples of W&K wedding. That’s a good decade ago. I am sure we haven’t made a step backwards in that regard.
396B99E3-DE0D-45A4-9CF0-3D181E785F0C.jpeg
8ED85DA9-5086-4352-87DC-831E43CAEBFB.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I started reading Spare last night before bed, only got 15 pages in but one thing no one prepared me for was the amount of metaphors crammed into this thing. On page 3 or 4 he’s describing a newly discovered star and how Einstein couldn’t explain light, and how that is his mum and how she was so bright and light she was indescribable. He makes reference to Shakespeare I’m sure at least twice in the first 10 pages which I found funny because I don’t believe Harry could describe the plot of Hamlet.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’ve seen the Swedish RF wear their national dress to certain events which is quite cool:
A5A85178-FD66-4C1B-B61B-51DB1A74A81D.jpeg

In Monaco Gabriella and Jacques have worn their national dress too
96267580-6FF6-4537-ADEA-543FFA915F39.jpeg

It’s interesting what you said about designers take on national dress - I think that’s a really cool idea. I know it’s not coronation worthy but I’ve seen a few German designers who have created formal dirndl wear and it looks really nice!
8ADCD6DD-C0E3-404D-B905-73236ECEACCB.jpeg
08AC5917-0579-4D39-BC95-E07227E908ED.jpeg
C1D7D7BA-8792-4959-86E2-FC1C6FFE263A.jpeg
6D9C4B51-0941-4D50-95C4-812517F877FA.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I feel like there's a lot of modern designers with interesting points of view, and when you pull in something unique to a culture it can make something really intriguing.
I know I enjoyed seeing Jacinda Ardern at the Queen's funeral in NZ designers and a black kākahu.

I tend to watch the historic royal events as the history student in me wants to be present for big events, and a lot of truly interesting fashion will keep me from getting distracted by overly enthusiastic choir singers, or making bets on whether someone will march into horse poo.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.