The Royal Family #31

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He's a workaholic too.
And he’s lived some sort of half life waiting to be king. I wouldn’t want to be taking on such an exhausting role in my mid 70’s - the age where most have their feet up with a brew, biscuits and countdown. (Extreme stereotyping).
I do agree the Queen has sort of coasted through the last few years. No one around her wanting to take responsibility for anything properly.

Reactions: 8
I don’t think the internet will be a massive problem. There are several underage/teenage/YA royals around right now and the palaces seem the have a good control over what goes out. If you look at the press treatment of the Yorks sisters, I am not sure Charlotte‘s experience can be much worse in regards to body scrutiny.
And while wheeling out the children is most definitely a guarantor for good PR, they or at least George needs to be eased in at one point. The Cambridges actually waited rather long. Erstelle held her first mini speech in public at 10 (or maybe earlier) and had been to a few real work engagements for some years with a family member. Not just those big celebratory ones that we have seen the Cambridgelings at. CP Leonore has been greeting officials multilingual at 13/14. Ingrid Alexandra in Norway has been accompanying her grandfather to engagements for some time as well. Not sure about Elisabeth. It seems the female Queens in waiting get quite the exposure but are presented in the most favourable light. Charming, educated, professional. It’s the boys that are falling behind at the moment. (Christian and George.)
The BRF should put a lot more effort into the Cambridges (tertiary) education. Two languages fluid at least. Probably French or Spanish. Not just some cushy art degree at home. At least a semester in another country, if not a whole master. And most definitely some courses in either international politics or socio economics or similar.
I do agree though that Louis and whatever wife he has (if he does) will draw the short stick. He is absolutely written up as the Harry/Andrew of his generation. And his wife will be on the loosing side against George’s. Maybe not so much if Louis married first.

The number of working royals will go down naturally in the next ten years and then again when Anne and the Wessexes retire- which might be earlier than the current geriatric set. As for titles, I think only the main line should get P/P- so non of this for Charlotte or Louis children. The royal Dukedoms and Earldoms are another matter. They hold no real significance or power. I think it’s fine if working royals have one or even more down the line, but there should be a mechanism that each passing on into the next generation should warrant a confirmation of the current monarch. So at one point it just gets taken back in. Those titles are really not the problem people make it out to be. What many actually mean is not the monarchy but the aristocracy. Abolishing the monarchy will not change the Etonian/Oxbridge connections or get rid of the House of Lords. The BRF and the aristos will be just fine if the UK is not starting the long, intense and expensive process to re-write its whole constitutional set up. And I don’t see the government having time for this, no matter what the public says in this weeks yougov poll. And make no mistakes- those circles will still be tight, well connected, rich and powerful. I don’t even think W would lay awake at night about loosing the crown or some ex-colonies. They might loose some but I am pretty sure they will keep much more than we can imagine.

The BRF should put a lot more effort into the Cambridges (tertiary) education. Two languages fluid at least. Probably French or Spanish. Not just some cushy art degree at home. At least a semester in another country, if not a whole master. And most definitely some courses in either international politics or socio economics or similar.
They should but the BRF are notoriously lazy and not academically minded. It’s rather an embarrassment.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
If it’s a public church service and not counted as an official engagement then they can’t stop Andrew joining them. I expected to see Fergie as well though if he was allowed to join
Andrew should stop himself. He's so disgusting. An absolute disgrace to the royal family.

Reactions: 6
And he’s lived some sort of half life waiting to be king. I wouldn’t want to be taking on such an exhausting role in my mid 70’s - the age where most have their feet up with a brew, biscuits and countdown. (Extreme stereotyping).
I do agree the Queen has sort of coasted through the last few years. No one around her wanting to take responsibility for anything properly.
I do believe The Queen should have abdicated years ago, and handed the reins over Charles.

I don’t get the whole thing that she was a great monarch…. How???

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They should but the BRF are notoriously lazy and not academically minded. It’s rather an embarrassment.
Yes, they should but they won't. Their parents are lazy, so I can't see them getting their kids to do more than the bare minimum. They have got away with it by employing PR people to hide behind, as well as a benevolent press, who don't report anything detrimental about what they actually do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Well, I am not talking research or getting a PHD. A simple Master is fine and they love the prestige that comes with tertiary education for the heir enough to push that. Charles holds a degree as well. So at least the heirs did something in that direction. But I agree, they lack in comparison to the other royals. Queen Beatrix(economics, parliamentary history, constitution law, a real law degree), Queen Margarethe (archeology but no degree iirc, speaks 5 languages fluently), Gustav (sociology, history, tax law, economics, political science- not sure if he graduated though), Harald (social science, history, economics, degree?)…. I don’t even mind if they are not holding a real degree but the content of their course work. You could argue that the private education HMTQ got around the constitution and history might have held the same value. Maybe Charles and Wiliam as well. But the academic discourse, the research and critical thinking you are encouraged to do, the ability to structure things and tools to deduce?aquire?decipher? complicated matters - that’s not really easy if you are not surrounded by other students.
I will say, I am not putting empirical sciences over humanities/arts. I find those highly valuable BUT for the roles Charles, Wiliam and George want to take on they can only be part of the whole picture.
I also don’t think they have to highly value education (even though I personally think everyone should. Not necessarily academics but education in general). But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You don’t have to be academically minded to do some courses and learn something. That’s why I don’t get why Kate isn’t doing something around Early Years to at least keep up appearances. I would also expect W to be able to converse in at least one if not two other languages besides BE. Not necessarily perfectly but well enough to hold a relaxed conversation. And if they don’t want degrees, why not intern for a 1/2 - 1 year at a diplomatic institution, maybe outside Britain? Work with the manager of the Duchy of Cornwall for a year? That’s much more important for the job than some white saviour charity stunt for a month in wherever. All too late now. But for George there’s still hope.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Well, I am not talking research or getting a PHD. A simple Master is fine and they love the prestige that comes with tertiary education for the heir enough to push that. Charles holds a degree as well. So at least the heirs did something in that direction. But I agree, they lack in comparison to the other royals. Queen Beatrix(economics, parliamentary history, constitution law, a real law degree), Queen Margarethe (archeology but no degree iirc, speaks 5 languages fluently), Gustav (sociology, history, tax law, economics, political science- not sure if he graduated though), Harald (social science, history, economics, degree?)…. I don’t even mind if they are not holding a real degree but the content of their course work. You could argue that the private education HMTQ got around the constitution and history might have held the same value. Maybe Charles and Wiliam as well. But the academic discourse, the research and critical thinking you are encouraged to do, the ability to structure things and tools to deduce?aquire?decipher? complicated matters - that’s not really easy if you are not surrounded by other students.
I will say, I am not putting empirical sciences over humanities/arts. I find those highly valuable BUT for the roles Charles, Wiliam and George want to take on they can only be part of the whole picture.
I also don’t think they have to highly value education (even though I personally think everyone should. Not necessarily academics but education in general). But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You don’t have to be academically minded to do some courses and learn something. That’s why I don’t get why Kate isn’t doing something around Early Years to at least keep up appearances. I would also expect W to be able to converse in at least one if not two other languages besides BE. Not necessarily perfectly but well enough to hold a relaxed conversation. And if they don’t want degrees, why not intern for a 1/2 - 1 year at a diplomatic institution, maybe outside Britain? Work with the manager of the Duchy of Cornwall for a year? That’s much more important for the job than some white saviour charity stunt for a month in wherever. All too late now. But for George there’s still hope.
You always come up with such great ideas for what the Royals should do. I really think they dont have the inclination to do any study or learning ( Charles does, maybe). And you need commitment more than ability in order to to succeed in any of those things. It is so easy to think of things they can do, I wonder if their staff suggest things they just refuse to do. They don't feel they have any need to learn about any of those things, because they are intellectually incurious, and don't get pulled up on anything they do now, so they may as well coast through life. There are no consequences to Kate doing nothing of any note on Early Years because she can do the bare minimum, get someone to write a press release about how ground breaking her research is and the press will just print two lines then talk about her clothes. You would think that they would want to fill their time though. It must be an incredibly boring life.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
You’re forgetting just how thick they are! 🤣 The Windsors were never that smart anyway but the Spencer genes of intellect just made it so much worse. Like someone else said on here, Prince Harry was borderline remedial.

• Haha
I do believe The Queen should have abdicated years ago, and handed the reins over Charles.

I don’t get the whole thing that she was a great monarch…. How???
She didn’t rock the boat.

i think a lot of the problems with the Royal family is that they are so insular. Their circle is made of people who have been associated with the royals for decades, if not centuries. The friend's of the father have their sons as friend‘s of the son. You only have to look at the recent dating history to see how closed the circle is … Harry dated Cressida Bonas, granddaughter of a Earl, who is half sister to Isabella who William reportedly wanted to date on his break from Kate. Rose Hanbury is the niece of Caroline Longman who dated Charles and who’s grandmother was a bridesmaid at The Queen’s wedding. However much on the fringes these people seem to be, in reality the ties are deep. On the one hand you can understand why they keep to a tight knit group … on the other it does make it extremely difficult for anyone attempting to join and fit in …and they probably never really do.

As for George … I think if he is to be Prince of Wales then as a bare minimum he should be able to speak Welsh and have some further education in a Welsh University.

Reactions: 9
She didn’t rock the boat.

i think a lot of the problems with the Royal family is that they are so insular. Their circle is made of people who have been associated with the royals for decades, if not centuries. The friend's of the father have their sons as friend‘s of the son. You only have to look at the recent dating history to see how closed the circle is … Harry dated Cressida Bonas, granddaughter of a Earl, who is half sister to Isabella who William reportedly wanted to date on his break from Kate. Rose Hanbury is the niece of Caroline Longman who dated Charles and who’s grandmother was a bridesmaid at The Queen’s wedding. However much on the fringes these people seem to be, in reality the ties are deep. On the one hand you can understand why they keep to a tight knit group … on the other it does make it extremely difficult for anyone attempting to join and fit in …and they probably never really do.

As for George … I think if he is to be Prince of Wales then as a bare minimum he should be able to speak Welsh and have some further education in a Welsh University.
I think this may have contributed to their dimness. Maybe they should do a biology gcse and look at genetics. They are doing themselves no favours swimming in the same gene pool. Although Kates parents have an incredible work ethic but have managed to raise pretty lazy children.

Reactions: 11
True that. Luckily, Welsh is also one of the easiest languages to learn. At first, a lot of people can be put off by the fact it looks on paper so utterly different to the Romance/West Germanic languages but once you get your head around that, it’s easy. It’s phonetic, which helps. I’ve never lived in Wales but started learning in lockdown just because I think we English should be more aware of the other native cultures (I signed up for Welsh, Manx and Cornish). I can hold a basic conversation by now and read Welsh novels, albeit with a dictionary.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that that should be on the bucket list for George, esp as it’s something relatively easy.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
You’re forgetting just how thick they are! 🤣 The Windsors were never that smart anyway but the Spencer genes of intellect just made it so much worse. Like someone else said on here, Prince Harry was borderline remedial.
I don’t think our genetics play a part in our intelligence from a inheritance point ob view. If so only very intelligent people could have intelligent children. The Windsors and Spencer’s have probably the average intelligence with some outliers in both directions. But of course your background determines what you can do with your potential. Sadly, being born in those families can mean that the intellectual potential won’t be really locked at because they all will benefit from connections much more then hard work. They won’t get pushed in that regard which is sad.
@LoopyLou47 thanks. It’s incredibly frustrating. I might seem as if I am much harder on H&M, but in the big picture I think, M at least has shown some real passion and determination. Some of her projects looked way more promising. They frustrate me for being whiny brats that fail to build something on their own because they had real momentum and potential. I wonder how much she has already realised what a hindrance H actually is. It really must be love.
And their ever changing and escalating stories.
I really really hope W&K take a look at the continental set of young future monarchs. Or maybe George gets some grip on this on his own at one point.

Reactions: 5
In privileged circles though cleverness is seen as common/low brow. Precisely why the QM didn’t want any formal education for her daughters. I’ve met through work a few members of the English aristocracy and this attitude is still around today. Academic acheivement in particular is seen as crass, something the working and lower-middle classes aspire to in order to climb the social ladder. Those born to be on the top don’t believe they have to bother with it. Like Loopy says, ‘intellectually incurious’. Broad strokes, granted, but I do believe a lot of them think along those lines.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I think this may have contributed to their dimness. Maybe they should do a biology gcse and look at genetics. They are doing themselves no favours swimming in the same gene pool. Although Kates parents have an incredible work ethic but have managed to raise pretty lazy children.
Carole has always been puzzling to me. Why didn't she push her kids to academy or serious business?

The problem they have is what is expected of them … look around their circle and all the jobs are pretty much of a muchness and in some cases nothingy sort of jobs where the cachet for the business of having a title on the headed paper supersedes them actually doing an actual job. Look at the furore when Prince Edward wanted to work in the theatre. In the extended family, Prince Richard, as the second son, trained as an architect until he became heir when that has curtailed and he took up his family duties, Prince Edward (Kent version) was a career soldier. David Linley is probably the only one to have bucked the trend.

it’s had to bother about a career when you don’t really need one, and it’s hard to bother about book learning when you don’t really need it and by and large the members of the Royal family seem quite happy to - and are allowed to - coast along, which is so sad when have all the access to unlimited learning at their fingertips.

hopefully, for this next generation, if the slimming down is to be meaningful, they will be allowed to follow their carrier of choice, even if it is something like a Vet.

In privileged circles though cleverness is seen as common/low brow. Precisely why the QM didn’t want any formal education for her daughters. I’ve met through work a few members of the English aristocracy and this attitude is still around today. Academic acheivement in particular is seen as crass, something the working and lower-middle classes aspire to in order to climb the social ladder. Those born to be on the top don’t believe they have to bother with it. Like Loopy says, ‘intellectually incurious’. Broad strokes, granted, but I do believe a lot of them think along those lines.
That's so messed up.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.