The Royal Family #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To me using the phrase niggling is no different to me saying "chink in the armour" about an East Asian person. The phrase by itself is not racist nor does it have racist origin but when you think of the context of which it was used it is inappropriate, rude, racist. This phrase would never have been used by the likes of the Telegraph / Times despite being right leaning papers like the Mail as they would know that their readers would understand the hidden meaning of the words. The daily mail readers are either too stupid to see the hidden meaning or knew the meaning and just didn't care as they believe the diatribe the Mail give them about meghan.

If you believe no one in the DM press room who read the article before going to press knew about the second meaning (journalists who have studied at oxbridge and attended elite public schools studying the english language and the eytomology of words from Latin, french etc), you are either naive, disingenuous or both.

There are so many things the press could say about meghan without the passive aggressive references about her heritage. By doing this, it negates any genuine critiques they have made about her.
There is no second meaning though. Niggling is not a play on the N word. It never has been. It has a very clear and definitive meaning that was appropriate for what the journalist was trying to convey.

Reactions: 8
Hahahaha.

Thomas has already had a couple of pages revealing text messages in the Mail today. I'm sure Gammon News will have him or the sister on sometime soon. Let's not pretend he hasn't got a voice
Do you mean like his half-sister has done?

you have to wonder why she ditches all of her family, friends and spouse's family. Are they the problem or is she?
That's fairly obvious - the relationships become problematic once they have served their purpose - easier to ditch than mend.

Reactions: 2
I wonder if her mother is close to her side of the family because that could be a reason she doesn’t have much of a relationship with them? I know she cut off an Uncle for selling photos of her when she was younger.

I'm surprised that so many posters here seem unfamiliar with the concept of dogwhistling.

It's such a tried and true tactic of bullies in general, and racists in particular. Say something seemingly innocuous and vague enough that to the average person, it all seems very 'normal' but the target can easily understand the intended insult. There's plausible deniability as nothing overt is ever said and when the insitigator is called out, they raise their hands, bat their lashes and point out that it's the victim who's making it about race, never them. 🙄

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
There is no second meaning though. Niggling is not a play on the N word. It never has been. It has a very clear and definitive meaning that was appropriate for what the journalist was trying to convey.
Pray do tell, what was the ‘journalist’ (this is the DM, let’s be real here) trying to convey that the words bother, irk, or worry couldn’t express?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
It not inherently a play on anything, no. It needs to be looked at as a potential dogwhistle though, to be honest.

Reactions: 5
Pray do tell, what was the ‘journalist’ (this is the DM, let’s be real here) trying to convey that the words bother, irk, or worry couldn’t express?
Those words are similar but not the same. And the phrase used was 'niggling worry'. I'm not being obtuse, I'm aware of political/racist dog whistles. I just disagree on this point. Let's move on as it's getting dull.

Reactions: 4
Those words are similar but not the same. And the phrase used was 'niggling worry'. I'm not being obtuse, I'm aware of political/racist dog whistles. I just disagree on this point. Let's move on as it's getting dull.
What do you think they did mean then? Why would they have a niggling worry about it?

What do you think they did mean then? Why would they have a niggling worry about it?
I don't really know what else I can say that I haven't said in previous posts. People feel differently to me, that's fine. It's allowed. Like I said, let's move past it.

I don't really know what else I can say that I haven't said in previous posts. People feel differently to me, that's fine. It's allowed. Like I said, let's move past it.
Personally I’m only asking as I’ve not seen anybody (including you) say what they think the paper actually did mean if they don’t think it was deliberately chosen in a dog whistle scenario. All I’ve seen is a small number of people saying it’s not meant in a racist way ie what it isn’t, not what it is. I’ve seen the headline and genuinely can see no other reason to use that phrase so would be really happy to be enlightened before moving on.

Reactions: 4
Personally I’m only asking as I’ve not seen anybody (including you) say what they think the paper actually did mean if they don’t think it was deliberately chosen in a dog whistle scenario. All I’ve seen is a small number of people saying it’s not meant in a racist way ie what it isn’t, not what it is. I’ve seen the headline and genuinely can see no other reason to use that phrase so would be really happy to be enlightened before moving on.
The piece was about whether the engagement photos weren't all a bit too 'Hollywood'. The author had a 'niggling worry' about them. Not a major worry, not a rage, not a fury, not an irritation, not a dread, not a hate but a slight concern that she couldn't quite bat away. Niggling.

Reactions: 3
The piece was about whether the engagement photos weren't all a bit too 'Hollywood'. The author had a 'niggling worry' about them. Not a major worry, not a rage, not a fury, not an irritation, not a dread, not a hate but a slight concern that she couldn't quite bat away. Niggling.
Why would you have a niggling worry about the engagement photos though? They are someone else's engagement photos. How were they ' Hollywood'? Quite apart from whether it was racist or not, when it comes to the Royal Family, half the country suddenly decides actors ( especially female ones) are akin to prostitutes! Its bizarre.

Reactions: 7
Why would you have a niggling worry about the engagement photos though? They are someone else's engagement photos. How were they ' Hollywood'? Quite apart from whether it was racist or not, when it comes to the Royal Family, half the country suddenly decides actors ( especially female ones) are akin to prostitutes! Its bizarre.
they're public figures aren't they? It's not like we're talking about some randoms plucked off Pinterest. I thought the pictures were a bit schmaltzy too.

Reactions: 2
they're public figures aren't they? It's not like we're talking about some randoms plucked off Pinterest. I thought the pictures were a bit schmaltzy too.
He’s a prince and she’s an actress, of course they’re schmaltzy, would be more weird if they weren’t.

Reactions: 9
Damn Harry’s finally dropped Williams name in the new trailer

Again I’m questioning the mental state of these two from the opening snippet, that they were basically worried for their lives and had to get out for safety. It’s madness they think their lives are in genuine danger, the lives of MPs in this country are at a greater risk than royalty or celebrities and they don’t get any security

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.