The Royal Family #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know, this is speculation.

I could imagine that it was a more due to the aim of slimming down the monarchy.
TQ offered (advised?) MM to keep working as an actress and why would she do that? Certainly not if she had issues with MM, her professor or her appearance (given that actresses are in the public domain and everyone would have known that MM is married to PH).

It was also clear that Charles was keen to slim down the monarchy. Maybe they would have been happy for MM to carry on working and for PH to do whatever he wants, now that he was no longer needed as a spare as PW had three children.

This is also speculation, but maybe PH and MM were offended by that and then linked the "perceived snub" to race
With the best will in the world, though, I struggle to see how she could have continued as an actress … all her roles would be scrutinised, cries of she only got the role because of who she is and then they would have to be agreed by committee to make sure there was nothing inappropriate that could cause the RF embarrassment.
Good in theory, impossible in reality but nice PR.

Reactions: 15
She distinctly said that there were conversations about how dark his skin might be and that that had a bearing on him being a prince or not. I don't think this was a misunderstanding between her and Harry. My opinion is that she was lying.
My understanding was as indirect heirs the wouldn't have got titles as great grandchildren anyway. An exception was made for William's in case the first born turned out to be a girl

Reactions: 1
And the fact she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.
No one was wearing a seatbelt. It’s a miracle that the bodyguard survived.

Once someone explained the history behind 'uppity' I understood it more. But most people in this country wouldn't have been aware of the connotations because we don't have the same history of slavery as the US
That’s the issue - importing American racial problems. Uppity in the UK doesn’t have the same meaning whatsoever so whoever made that connection should have realised that in this country, the country where it was said, that it wasn’t racial at all.

Harry's gripe with the media seems very UK based when in fact it's a world wide issue.
I would also say that it’s not really the media which is the issue in this day and age but social media. That’s where I’ve heard the worst comments about the two.

Reactions: 7
With the best will in the world, though, I struggle to see how she could have continued as an actress … all her roles would be scrutinised, cries of she only got the role because of who she is and then they would have to be agreed by committee to make sure there was nothing inappropriate that could cause the RF embarrassment.
Good in theory, impossible in reality but nice PR.
Well, she did a few steamy scenes in the past and she only got the Spotify and Netflix deals because of who she is.

My understanding was as indirect heirs the wouldn't have got titles as great grandchildren anyway. An exception was made for William's in case the first born turned out to be a girl
The Queen amended the letters patent for direct heirs - firstly to take account of the fact male primogeniture had been done away with and secondly to give the direct heirs a title even if they were great grandchildren and traditionally too far down the automatic title tree.

Harry’s children traditionally would have been automatically granted the honorific titles when Charles became King.

Reactions: 7
According to my understanding the children of the direct heir will get titles, all the children, but only of the direct heir.
Also, the grandchildren of the monarch also get titles.

That's why Archie and Lily could get titles now. But as their parents left the BRF and Charles wants to slim down the monarchy this is likely not going to happen.

The charity of Meghan and Harry is also partly getting money because of who they are and linked to. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Reactions: 2
Let's hope the Markle family are offered the opportunity to talk about Meghan in their own words too. It's only fair. It would be interesting to know when racism started to become a huge issue for her.

Reactions: 2
They would have got titles as grandchildren. I think that is what was being removed. I agree with Charles on that, but I think Harry felt slighted, as George, Charlotte etc got titles as great grandchildren, because they are directly in line. The whole system of Monarchy is terrible for people in it.

Reactions: 6
Let's hope the Markle family are offered the opportunity to talk about Meghan in their own words too. It's only fair. It would be interesting to know when racism started to become a huge issue for her.
Ah yes, because the poor wee souls haven't had a chance to say anything at all...ever.
Words fail me.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
The very staged car journey where they were looking for a pap on a scooter (who wasn't actually there) was pretty low. Clearly done to evoke memories of Diana and her car being pursued by paps on scooters.

Reactions: 4
The very staged car journey where they were looking for a pap on a scooter (who wasn't actually there) was pretty low. Clearly done to evoke memories of Diana and her car being pursued by paps on scooters.
The whole thing is laughable. I (re)signed up to Netflix for the Christmas season but I won't be watching them.

Reactions: 3
I think it like that. Ireland was vary much 'white' population when I was growing and after 25 years away I returned to a far more mixed population which was great to see.

But reading the accounts of POC here in this country, the 'where are you really from' type of questions make them feel like outsiders even if that's not the intention so I'm inclined to leave it up to them to bring up their family background if they so wish
It’s sad that it’s come to it that you feel you can’t ask those questions. I like getting to know people and enjoy hearing about their religion and culture so would regularly ask people I worked with about where their family were from, their religious celebrations, their language and those kind of questions, I could see it made them happy to talk about it and had one even make the point that I was the first white person to show any interest. They even started teaching me common Arabic words and would have a word of the day for me . In one team I worked in we had 4 south Asian Muslims and about 10 white people and because people hadn’t made the effort to get to know them outside of the football team they support or their university, even basic things like picking a halal restaurant to go for a team meal were overlooked. I think most people are happy to talk about themselves and culture if you ask properly and seem genuinely interested.

Reactions: 5
It’s sad that it’s come to it that you feel you can’t ask those questions. I like getting to know people and enjoy hearing about their religion and culture so would regularly ask people I worked with about where their family were from, their religious celebrations, their language and those kind of questions, I could see it made them happy to talk about it and had one even make the point that I was the first white person to show any interest. They even started teaching me common Arabic words and would have a word of the day for me . In one team I worked in we had 4 south Asian Muslims and about 10 white people and because people hadn’t made the effort to get to know them outside of the football team they support or their university, even basic things like picking a halal restaurant to go for a team meal were overlooked. I think most people are happy to talk about themselves and culture if you ask properly and seem genuinely interested.
Which is lovely … but I’d assume if someone made it clear they didn’t want to talk about it you wouldn’t keep pressing them to?

Oh 100%. But it I'd what is is

Which is lovely … but I’d assume if someone made it clear they didn’t want to talk about it you wouldn’t keep pressing them to?
No but that wasn’t the point, I was replying to someone who said they don’t even start the conversation anymore for fear of upsetting someone.

This is deranged sorry,the prime example of people reaching... queen had cancer, both her and Phillip were nonagenarians.

• Angry
  • Sick
This is deranged sorry,the prime example of people reaching... queen had cancer, both her and Phillip were nonagenarians.

Yes completely ridiculous. They were in frail health because they were sick and old. You could argue that doing the Oprah interview when Philip was clearly dying was thoughtless but it's a stretch to say it was a factor in his death

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.