The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am genuinely a bit confused by the pictures of the Queen today. It was lovely to see her looking well and enjoying herself but I can’t understand why she wasn’t doing the opening of Parliament if she is well enough to do this?

My understanding was that she didn’t want to abdicate because it was a job for life (I know the history but other monarchies have shown it can work and life has moved on since the 1930s). I also would have every sympathy for her wanting to enjoy a retirement. This just feels a bit odd. She still has the job but isn’t doing the work.

I am not a monarchist I will admit, so maybe that’s influenced my view. I just think if she wants to have a retirement (which I would say she has earned) then she should let her son have a turn. I do feel a bit let down.
I guess it's because sitting there and reading all that out would have been a bit much. Maybe she gets tired easier, so she didn't want to risk looking frail and exhausted. At 96 it's understandable.

Reactions: 6
I am genuinely a bit confused by the pictures of the Queen today. It was lovely to see her looking well and enjoying herself but I can’t understand why she wasn’t doing the opening of Parliament if she is well enough to do this?

My understanding was that she didn’t want to abdicate because it was a job for life (I know the history but other monarchies have shown it can work and life has moved on since the 1930s). I also would have every sympathy for her wanting to enjoy a retirement. This just feels a bit odd. She still has the job but isn’t doing the work.

I am not a monarchist I will admit, so maybe that’s influenced my view. I just think if she wants to have a retirement (which I would say she has earned) then she should let her son have a turn. I do feel a bit let down.
Well they say her issues are episodic, so it might be a day to day or even hour to hour assessment.
I think the music biscuit tin by F&M would be a funny and much cheaper substitute if one likes the design.

Reactions: 3
I guess it's because sitting there and reading all that out would have been a bit much. Maybe she gets tired easier, so she didn't want to risk looking frail and exhausted. At 96 it's understandable.
there was something amiss when she went int hospital for tests and then she caught Covid. At 96 it’s really not terribly surprising that the long official functions take it out of her more than a couple of hours at a horse show.

Reactions: 2
Well they say her issues are episodic, so it might be a day to day or even hour to hour assessment.
I think the music biscuit tin by F&M would be a funny and much cheaper substitute if one likes the design.
I agree, she probably didn't feel up to it. It's a long, drawn out, regimented day. Plus she would have had to get dressed up in all the regalia and wear that crown, which must weigh a ton. I'd have thrown a sickie to miss parliament so I could make it for the gee gees too.

Reactions: 4
I completely agree and that’s why I find it so confusing that she doesn’t retire. I really don’t think anyone would think she hadn’t earned it and then we could all enjoy seeing her at events like the horse show. It’s just odd to me that she hangs onto doing something that she can’t do when she could be enjoying life. But then I am not a monarchist and I find the whole idea of a job for your whole life strange.

Reactions: 6
there was something amiss when she went int hospital for tests and then she caught Covid. At 96 it’s really not terribly surprising that the long official functions take it out of her more than a couple of hours at a horse show.
Yeah, Covid could well have had something to do with her fatigue. I mean catching Covid at 96 has got to have taken it out of her as they mentioned when she caught it, she wasn't feeling too well.

Reactions: 3
It seems that all the rest is agreeing with her. She looks less frail again. I was already wondering if they would have a convincing double in the State Coach (that’s what I would do). I still think they missed a great chance for a Charles Regency 10 or 6 years ago. But I get it took time for his Charme PR campaign to work. He and Camilla have gathered all the sympathy points they will ever get. Who didn’t come round, never will. I just wish that this long term strategy would have started earlier, so an earlier Regency would have been possible. With the new photos, it seems possible he could either have to wait for the throne another 4 years or have long regency (with him dying before her).
Also, turning up for horses but not Parliament is definitely not her MO (W&K wouldn’t get this benefit of doubt - I like them but they are still miles away to even look nearly as dedicated/dutiful). So it seems her problems are really episodic or she decided to say F**k it, I only do what I really want from here on.
Did she actually get out of the car? The photos that I saw were of her sitting in the car, watching and chatting to people. Opening parliament would mean a long walk to the throne and back, even supported by Charles. The horse show is in her back garden as it were, she was in the car and, even if she got out, she wouldn't have far to walk to a seat.

ETA: she didn't wear the crown at least the last time if not before. She admits that her neck is too frail to bear the weight now. You can see this with other older royalty such as Empress Emerita Michiko of Japan who gave up heavy tiaras and then any tiaras several years ago; the Empress is 87.

I think it’s literally a day to day thing. My grandmother lived to 90 and in her last year or so one day she could be pretty sprightly and get out to the shops etc, the next her body would seize up and she’d struggle to get out of bed. I presume this is what’s happening with the queen hence the last minute decision on events. It must be incredibly frustrating not just to have it happen to her but for what must feel like the eyes of the world and press watching every day to see if it’s a good day or bad day. Personally I think she’s deserved to hand over to Charles, put her feet up and enjoy some peace and quiet with the dogs.

Did she actually get out of the car? The photos that I saw were of her sitting in the car, watching and chatting to people. Opening parliament would mean a long walk to the throne and back, even supported by Charles. The horse show is in her back garden as it were, she was in the car and, even if she got out, she wouldn't have far to walk to a seat.

ETA: she didn't wear the crown at least the last time if not before. She admits that her neck is too frail to bear the weight now. You can see this with other older royalty such as Empress Emerita Michiko of Japan who gave up heavy tiaras and then any tiaras several years ago; the Empress is 87.
I was going to ask this because there is a huge difference going for a drive around the estate than doing the State Opening of Parliament.
This is why I think it may be some sort of arthritis because that can episodic.

I guess anyone whether they’re 26 or 96 could be ill in the week but well on the weekend. I’ve seen a few tweets about how awful it and people would be in trouble in a real job, but would we? People can recover from an illness in a couple of days.

Reactions: 1
My take of the pics of the Queen at the Windsor horse show is that she looks 'too' happy - possibly needing to be medicated for pain, so a bit high from that? That would totally explain not doing the State opening of Parliament - it's a totally different scenario to being under the influence of pain meds for a short time at a horse show, to performing an official duty and reading out a speech. Don't jump on me for speculating this lol - I still think that she is terminally ill and the 'mobility issues' that is the limit of what they officially talk about is just a way to protect her health information privacy.

I was going to ask this because there is a huge difference going for a drive around the estate than doing the State Opening of Parliament.
This is why I think it may be some sort of arthritis because that can episodic.
There was a picture of her stood up and one of her walking with Edward. Also one of her sat next to Penny thingy with a cup to present.

edit

In November my son was told that he’d be going down to London if the Queen died. So yes, definitely something amiss last year.

She normally looks amazing, but I'm not a fan of this at all - very cheap and nasty posh reality tv series looking? it actually ages her a lot. I don't like her darker hair either - she looks better when it's a bit lighter.
Yes, she was letting her grey come through. She's had a few misses with her dresses lately, either frumpy or muttony.

Reactions: 1
That was quite sweet of PE to visit Deborah James at home to give her the damehood. I don't recall that happening before, anyone else? I wonder if Kate had brought a bit of humility to proceedings.

There is a lovely video of the queen standing and asking about a picture someone is showing her. She looks very with it, very happy and relatively sturdy on her legs obviously with the help of her stick. I think once the jubilee is over she will "retire", it will be announced that Charles will do all the big engagements and she will do with her health allows.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.