The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So the Queen pulled the biggest sickie in the week 😂 she looked the picture of health at the horse show

• Haha
Reactions: 13
We have got a Royal Collection mug (and a Christmas ornament!) celebrating when HM became the longest reigning monarch. It was completely by accident: we were at a very nice hotel and they gave them to us, and a copy of The Telegraph! :LOL: I would like a mug but was terrified it would break in my luggage, so I didn't buy one when I was at Windsor or Kensington Palace - I did get our Christmas ornaments though!

Can I just say, I love that here was was s
an actual competition around the Jubilee Pud. The winning trifle recipe sounds fantastic. But the mere fact such a competition was set up and 5000 recipes were submitted. It’s quirky, it’s obviously a superficial thing (especially compared to the reality of things going on) but it’s also such a light hearted distraction and just so adorable (not meant in a patronising way!!!). Those things are something I wish we could have as well. And not just on the small scale of making in my own home but we just have nothing going on that compares in the slightest. We get the same tit as the UK but have nothing like this to distract/balance it out.
Where are you based, Great_Kate?
I really enjoyed the Jubilee Pudding programme they did! It was so lighthearted and it was nice that everyone was nice - which sounds silly but when they went to the professional kitchens to cook there wasn’t a ridiculous time frame, they had professional chefs helping them.
I think the best cake won because she incorporated themes from the Queen’s reign which the others didn’t really highlight. Though I don’t think the U.K. is big on trifles but I do want to recreate it!
I thought that 10 year old boy who did a recipe inspired by Prince Philip was great!

Reactions: 2
@thegirlscout on the continent 😉
But all my in laws are English, so we spend time there every year, and take lots of interest in how everything is going and contemplate moving regularly. Knowing the “normal” people obviously gives you another perspective than just reading/watching/listening to the (uk) news.

Reactions: 3
I came for a visit to UK last month all the way from California (not Montecito) to get some Jubilee gear! I got the Platinum Jubilee cookbook, the musical biscuit tin, mug + tea tin, a bigger biscuit tin from Fortnum & Mason (they also had lovely truffles for a lower price) and a few other souvenirs from Kensington Palace (those were pricey).

Some places I highly recommend are Liberty London and Fortnum & Mason. You can also get some souvenir items from Tower Bridge and Kensington Palace gift shops:
  1. https://www.libertylondon.com/us/edits/best-of-british/ (please search for Platinum Jubilee, else, you get non Jubilee items)
  2. https://www.historicroyalpalaces.co...ex/?q=platinum+jubilee&product_list_limit=all
  3. https://shop.towerbridge.org.uk/collections/queens-platinum-jubilee-2022
  4. https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/platinum-jubilee.html
There's also some nice signed books at Hatchards that you can buy that are Jubilee themed like books on royal jewelry and on Her Majesty's fashion over the years.

I am definitely not going to use the mug but keep it on display but the rest will be used and kept in storage.

Reactions: 5
I came for a visit to UK last month all the way from California (not Montecito) to get some Jubilee gear! I got the Platinum Jubilee cookbook, the musical biscuit tin, mug + tea tin, a bigger biscuit tin from Fortnum & Mason (they also had lovely truffles for a lower price) and a few other souvenirs from Kensington Palace (those were pricey).

Some places I highly recommend are Liberty London and Fortnum & Mason. You can also get some souvenir items from Tower Bridge and Kensington Palace gift shops:
  1. https://www.libertylondon.com/us/edits/best-of-british/ (please search for Platinum Jubilee, else, you get non Jubilee items)
  2. https://www.historicroyalpalaces.co...ex/?q=platinum+jubilee&product_list_limit=all
  3. https://shop.towerbridge.org.uk/collections/queens-platinum-jubilee-2022
  4. https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/platinum-jubilee.html
There's also some nice signed books at Hatchards that you can buy that are Jubilee themed like books on royal jewelry and on Her Majesty's fashion over the years.

I am definitely not going to use the mug but keep it on display but the rest will be used and kept in storage.
Thanks, this has given me some ideas.

Found this below when looking for Jubilee ideas for those who can crochet which I can't 😳

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Where are you based, Great_Kate?
I really enjoyed the Jubilee Pudding programme they did! It was so lighthearted and it was nice that everyone was nice - which sounds silly but when they went to the professional kitchens to cook there wasn’t a ridiculous time frame, they had professional chefs helping them.
I think the best cake won because she incorporated themes from the Queen’s reign which the others didn’t really highlight. Though I don’t think the U.K. is big on trifles but I do want to recreate it!
I thought that 10 year old boy who did a recipe inspired by Prince Philip was great!
All those puddings looked great. I love lemon stuff, so I might either try the winner or get someone to make it from scratch so I can taste it! The falooda cake looked absolutely beautiful. The flowers round the outside were stunning. I cant drink real falooda because I cant eat/ drink anything if its in milk ( dont ask) so no rice pudding, no semolina etc, and the cake had the basil seeds and the vermcilli in the cream, so it was a no no!

Reactions: 1
All those puddings looked great. I love lemon stuff, so I might either try the winner or get someone to make it from scratch so I can taste it! The falooda cake looked absolutely beautiful. The flowers round the outside were stunning. I cant drink real falooda because I cant eat/ drink anything if its in milk ( dont ask) so no rice pudding, no semolina etc, and the cake had the basil seeds and the vermcilli in the cream, so it was a no no!
I just checked the recipe on F&M. You can just skip the icing :) and use a milk substitute perhaps? Like soy, almond or oat milk.

I just checked the recipe on F&M. You can just skip the icing :) and use a milk substitute perhaps? Like soy, almond or oat milk.
Ooo are all the recipes on F&M?! Great!!

Yes that one looked great and I loved how her dress matched her cake!
I think my top two would have been the passion fruit cheesecake and the trifle and I think the trifle one because it included influences about the Queen a bit more than the other which was a requirement. I think the Bundt cake didn’t win because it needed to be easily replicated for the everyday cook and unless you have a fancy tin then its not as impressive. The issue I have with trifle is I never know how to serve it without it looking messy (and without creating individual trifles).

It's a texture problem in the main, so I cant have solid things in milk because it makes me throw up, and it has since I was a child. I was exempted from having lumpy custard on my pudding at school after about a week of throwing up on the table! I only stopped straining milk into my tea after I had a baby and was desensitised by baby sick. Its entirely in my head :D
Great that the recipes are on the F & M website though. They looked delicious.

I feel like this writer didn’t go into this bake with an open mind.
“Melvin insists that it’s fine to cheat. Buy a jar of lemon curd, a box of Italian biscuits and a tub of ready-made custard, she urges nervous cooks. To do this, however, would render the whole exercise pointless, wouldn’t it? You might as well buy a Colin the Caterpillar cake from M&S and have done with it.” - Lots of people ‘cheat’ when they are baking, but that doesn’t mean that home baking is pointless and you should just buy shop bought. I think some people are being a bit mean spirited about Jemma Melvin, the Daily Mail comments were poking fun at her weight which isn’t nice at all.

Here are the recipes if anyone else is interested

Do you have a link to them, sounds fascinating! I don’t mind if they aren’t signed but cant find the Jubilee themed royal jewellery or fashion books on their website.

Platinum Jubilee cookbook
There’s a Platinum Jubilee cookbook?! Where!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Queen's having a ball, by the looks her. Bless her!

Those drummers were amazing!

Last edited:
Glad to see she is not as sickly/ dying as some on here have been implying. She is frail but okay.

The Queen looks like she’s had a fab time at the show! Absolutely loved it 😊

Reactions: 6
That looked like a wave for Omid's joke on skipping the opening of parliament. I wi der was that scripted! 😂

• Haha
That looked like a wave for Omid's joke on skipping the opening of parliament. I wi der was that scripted! 😂
He did keep saying ‘your Royal Highness’ pretty sure it’s’Your Majesty’ but he was very funny all night

I liked the Azerbaijan horse show - that was fun. The end seemed a bit sombre though. I guess this will be the last Jubilee, so that hit home.

I feel like this writer didn’t go into this bake with an open mind.
“Melvin insists that it’s fine to cheat. Buy a jar of lemon curd, a box of Italian biscuits and a tub of ready-made custard, she urges nervous cooks. To do this, however, would render the whole exercise pointless, wouldn’t it? You might as well buy a Colin the Caterpillar cake from M&S and have done with it.” - Lots of people ‘cheat’ when they are baking, but that doesn’t mean that home baking is pointless and you should just buy shop bought. I think some people are being a bit mean spirited about Jemma Melvin, the Daily Mail comments were poking fun at her weight which isn’t nice at all.

Here are the recipes if anyone else is interested

Do you have a link to them, sounds fascinating! I don’t mind if they aren’t signed but cant find the Jubilee themed royal jewellery or fashion books on their website.

There’s a Platinum Jubilee cookbook?! Where!!
Hi lovely!

So, the Platinum Jubilee cookbook has been sold out everywhere except for Hatchards Picadilly (the one right beside Fortnum & Mason). If it's sold out online, check the 3rd floor in the Interiors section or in the first floor. It's there but you will find really hard. It's still available online: https://www.hatchards.co.uk/book/the-platinum-jubilee-cookbook/ameer-kotecha/9780993354069

I already bought the book and if you need any screenshots, I am happy to post them. It's a mix of recipes from different consulate in the Commonwealth across the world and stories about British food and cutlery brands.

Hatchards also has plenty of Jubilee/royal themed fashion and jewelry books. If you are lucky, they might have author signed editions too. https://www.hatchards.co.uk/the-platinum-jubilee

Here is the link to all of the Platinum Pudding recipes: https://www.fortnumandmason.com/platinum-pudding-finalists

All the very best!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.