The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My first visit to Windsor was on this trip! I had a free day when I wasn't commandeered by relatives I hadn't seen in years or friends so I hopped on the train at Vauxhall! :D

Reactions: 3
I can't say l remember the public donating to repair the castle after the fire, but l was in my late teens so had better things to think about!
Yeah I'm not entirely certain on that haha. I could well be wrong there.

I’ve not been to Windsor, but I’ve been to Kensington Palace, Westminster Abbey (stunning) and St Pauls (jaw dropping), Tower of London (just love it!) We do have some amazing places to visit.
Oh for sure. All the best stuff is in London or not far from London.

Well, HM lost her sister, Sarah her mother, so I can see her being almost an extra daughter, companion and confidante. While being family, Sarah's everyday life is mostly outside the royal bubble so no doubt brings another viewpoint. The Queen probably doesn't have many friends left alive so Anne, Sarah and Sophie (who's said to be the closest DiL) are no doubt her inner circle. She does have Angela Kelly for everyday grandchildren etc chatter but Angela is still an employee, however close.
What happened to the woman who used to always accompany the Queen?

Reactions: 1
Yeah I'm not entirely certain on that haha. I could well be wrong there.

Oh for sure. All the best stuff is in London or not far from London.

What happened to the woman who used to always accompany the Queen?
Probably died about forty years ago

• Haha
The fire at Windsor was the reason they opened BP to the public to raise the funds to fix it. So it didn’t fall to tax payers. I’m pretty sure
Yes, it was funded mostly by the opening of BP and from savings made throughout the royal household. There was a trust for private donations to be made, I think the Queen put in a couple of million, and the whole situation had a lot to do with her starting to pay income tax from 1993. The castle wasn't insured as the building and contents were both too valuable for any company to cover.

Reactions: 4
Yes, it was funded mostly by the opening of BP and from savings made throughout the royal household. There was a trust for private donations to be made, I think the Queen put in a couple of million, and the whole situation had a lot to do with her starting to pay income tax from 1993. The castle wasn't insured as the building and contents were both too valuable for any company to cover.
Yes I remember there being a bit of a hoo ha about the RF expecting the taxpayer to fund it, then HM said it would be funded by themselves. I don't remember the public helping to fund it. I haven't been there in years but may go in the summer with the kids.

Reactions: 2
I'm annoyed the tax payer has contributed to Buck House. Don't mind if we get a free visit, access all areas though 😉

I'm annoyed the tax payer has contributed to Buck House. Don't mind if we get a free visit, access all areas though 😉
imo when Charles becomes king the idea he has of opening up the whole place to the public is a great idea.

Anne’s 2 don’t have titles because Mark Philips doesn’t. Titles for the offspring of daughters of the Monarch have to come from their father.
The Queen could have changed the rules on that, and probably would have if asked, but Anne didn't want her to.

I think what will happen with titles is that Charles will slim it down in terms of who gets Prince or Princess, but end up with more people getting made dukes. The interesting one will be whether, when he makes Edward Duke of Edinburgh, he creates it so that Louise can inherit it in her own right, given the relatively recent changes to the inheritance rules for the crown itself. If so then he'd probably give James Viscount Severn a separate dukedom when he gets married.

The Queen could have changed the rules on that, and probably would have if asked, but Anne didn't want her to.

I think what will happen with titles is that Charles will slim it down in terms of who gets Prince or Princess, but end up with more people getting made dukes. The interesting one will be whether, when he makes Edward Duke of Edinburgh, he creates it so that Louise can inherit it in her own right, given the relatively recent changes to the inheritance rules for the crown itself. If so then he'd probably give James Viscount Severn a separate dukedom when he gets married.
oh, it was Anne and Mark’s decision for sure … I think he was offered and refused an Earldom, but their children being automatically granted P/P wouldn’t have been an option … not actually sure if The Perth Agreement makes any change to that either?
It would be nice to think any new creations could pass down the female line, but when the law around the crown succession was changed, the Peers had a wobble and ensured it didn’t apply to their titles, didn’t they?

oh, it was Anne and Mark’s decision for sure … I think he was offered and refused an Earldom, but their children being automatically granted P/P wouldn’t have been an option … not actually sure if The Perth Agreement makes any change to that either?
It would be nice to think any new creations could pass down the female line, but when the law around the crown succession was changed, the Peers had a wobble and ensured it didn’t apply to their titles, didn’t they?
When it comes to royal titles its entirely up to the Monarch. The peers have ummed and ahhed about that for years (decades even), and I don't expect that to change anytime soon for existing titles, but for new titles and ones involving the royal family (and all new titles in the last ~30 years have involved the royal family¹) they can do what they like, because the rules are set when the title is (re)created. The other one I would personally do is make Beatrice duke / duchess² of York when Andrew dies or is stripped of it³, although I think in reality they will give Duke of York to Louis eventually.

¹the last non-royal hereditary peerage was a viscountcy created for George Thomas when he retired as Speaker of The House of Commons, and he was already old, had never married and had no kids, so there was no chance of it being passed down. If it ever happens again it will be for someone similar, I suspect.

²Duke isn't an inherently male title, eg the Queen being Duke of Lancaster.

³Which is unlikely because it would need an act of parliament, which I don't think they will want to do.

Oh for sure, there are a clutch of peerages that can also pass through the female line - mainly Scottish, I think - but the Mountbatten peerage also goes to the daughter … Lord Louis daughter was the 2nd Countess.

I don’t think they will do anything for the York Dukedom other than keep it for the second son of the monarch when it’s free. of the traditional ‘royal’ dukedoms, It looks like the Kent and Gloucester ones will be unavailable for at least another 2 generations so it makes things a bit limited.

The obvious one would be Duke of London, which was offered to Churchill but he didn't take it because he wanted to stay in the house of commons (and wanted his son / grandson to do likewise).

I've also jokingly suggested that they should make someone Duke of Milton Keynes.

Oh for sure, there are a clutch of peerages that can also pass through the female line - mainly Scottish, I think - but the Mountbatten peerage also goes to the daughter … Lord Louis daughter was the 2nd Countess.

I don’t think they will do anything for the York Dukedom other than keep it for the second son of the monarch when it’s free. of the traditional ‘royal’ dukedoms, It looks like the Kent and Gloucester ones will be unavailable for at least another 2 generations so it makes things a bit limited.
Do you really think they’d lumber Louis with being the Duke of York? I hope not.

Are any of you envious of the Royal family?
They have amazing homes to live in. They are catered for hand and foot. Personal chefs. Best healthcare on demand. Good genetics.

Not gonna lie, I would say I am slightly envious, but then on the other hand you have to toe the line and be restricted most of the time, and do things and meet people you probably wouldn't otherwise.

Are any of you envious of the Royal family?
They have amazing homes to live in. They are catered for hand and foot. Personal chefs. Best healthcare on demand. Good genetics.

Not gonna lie, I would say I am slightly envious, but then on the other hand you have to toe the line and be restricted most of the time, and do things and meet people you probably wouldn't otherwise.
I wouldn't mind being a lesser royal. Still get invited to all the big events and pomp, but remain pretty much anonymous to the wider public. Nice country pile or a classy house in a nice part of London. Nannies, not having to scrimp on supermarket food, being able to follow whatever pursuit I wanted, regardless of the cost. Yeah I wouldn't mind it.

I had a very small taste of it at the end of last year, when my sister and I were invited into the Royal box at Cheltenham racecourse. There were no royals there on that day, Zara was there the day before, but the whole experience has tarnished my subsequent enjoyment of racing. I want the Royal box all the time now. I've hated it every time I've been to the races since, being stuck in the cold with the plebs and no champagne being handed to me by a butler 😂🥂 it was truly one of the best days of my life 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My sympathy has been with all the pubs, so many round me called the Duke of York
Most of them are are named after an earlier Duke of York, to be fair (the one who also "had 10,000 men"), although I wouldn't be *that* surprised if some were named after Andy, especially if they opened more recently :ROFLMAO:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.