The DisUnplugged #4 They tried to make Pete go to rehab, but he said I need my phone!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just listened to the last Tuesday show. Julie literally said she would love a drag show on Main Street, and everyone agreed that they would love that...what the actual hell is wrong with these people?!
Agreed. How anyone would think this is an appropriate thing to happen on Main street is beyond me. Also if you do feel it is appropriate, how does it in any way fit in with ANY Disney character/program or theming.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
They already have shows with men and women cross dressing marching up and down main street everyday. Do you really think only men dress as male Disney characters and women only dress as women in those parades?

Reactions: 14
Agreed. How anyone would think this is an appropriate thing to happen on Main street is beyond me. Also if you do feel it is appropriate, how does it in any way fit in with ANY Disney character/program or theming.
There are a few people on this thread who skew pretty crazy...

Reactions: 2
It's cool when the bigots just say it lol. So delicate.

It's as relevant to Main Street as a high school marching band is. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 3
They already have shows with men and women cross dressing marching up and down main street everyday. Do you really think only men dress as male Disney characters and women only dress as women in those parades?
Good point lol I think the problem is that some people think that drag is inherently sexual, which it isn't. It's about exploring a different side of your personality, being creative, and feeling good about yourself. I love going to drag shows and they are not all the same. I've been to some raunchy ones but they've all been in 21+ bars/nightclub type venues. I've also been to drag brunches at nicer restaurants that were quite tame - think just lip synching and showing off their outfits. I've also met a few drag queens at comic conventions that do some AMAZING Disney princess cosplays. The craftsmanship of their outfits is impressive and there's nothing about them that is inappropriate in any way.

If Disney were to do something drag related, I feel confident that's the type of show they would put on - something that shows off the hard work it takes to make an accurate costume and perfect the character's personality traits. A fashion show down Main St with some lip synching to Disney songs would be perfectly tame for people of all ages.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Good point lol I think the problem is that some people think that drag is inherently sexual, which it isn't. It's about exploring a different side of your personality, being creative, and feeling good about yourself. I love going to drag shows and they are not all the same. I've been to some raunchy ones but they've all been in 21+ bars/nightclub type venues. I've also been to drag brunches at nicer restaurants that were quite tame - think just lip synching and showing off their outfits. I've also met a few drag queens at comic conventions that do some AMAZING Disney princess cosplays. The craftsmanship of their outfits is impressive and there's nothing about them that is inappropriate in any way.

If Disney were to do something drag related, I feel confident that's the type of show they would put on - something that shows off the hard work it takes to make an accurate costume and perfect the character's personality traits. A fashion show down Main St with some lip synching to Disney songs would be perfectly tame for people of all ages.
Thank you for saying this. The narrative that drag performers are harmful for children is extremely dangerous for the queer community.

@Rufio'sGhost is allowed to have their own opinion, but I would like them to be aware that drag queens are not dangerous. I am a drag performer, and the assumption that I am trying to groom kids and that my existence is a threat to children is extremely heartbreaking. I do not believe that I "skew pretty crazy" (your words) for feeling this way.
I apologize for the heaviness, but it is a very scary time to be a queer person right now, and seeing hateful comments about my people popping up out of nowhere brings me back to that scary reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Unfortunately, we have a portion of our population that only sees the world in black and white instead of the shades of grey it really is. So they see a clip of a drag show on the news that would be inappropriate for kids and think that must mean ALL drag shows are that way. Throw in some fear mongering and good old fashioned homophobia and here we are. I agree that it's heartbreaking. All of the drag performers I know are great people who do a lot for their communities. They also know when to turn it up or tone it down depending on the situation.

In my experience, the drag community is one of the most welcoming and inclusive. My white cis-het husband has a blast going to drag shows with me. He does a lot of cosplay himself and always wants to ask the performers about their makeup techniques or props. Some of the things y'all make are so cool!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I don’t know where this sudden fear of drag performers has come from?!? I mean when have you ever heard of a drag queen harming someone? Probably never. Drag performers are always the coolest people!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yeah, it's a pretty clear piece of rhetoric coming from a very specific type of source that makes clear who someone is. People afraid of drag performers must be very *snowflakey*.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
People had no issues with drag when it was Robin Williams, Radar from MASH, Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies etc etc. Marginalised communities are almost always welcoming because they know what it's like to not be welcomed. Anyway, I'm exercising my right to use the ignore button because I can. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
To bring this back on topic a little - What do folks think Pete would look like in drag?

I'm thinking it would be like something from a nightmare!

• Haha
Are drag queens a part of Disney IP? I don't know of any and until they are, I doubt you'll see any in the parks because that's all they do.....IP.

Reactions: 1
Oh wow...do I really have to explain to you why a drag queen show down main street in Walt Disney World would be inappropriate?
If you think drag queens haven't walked down Main Street before, then we need to have a talk about Ursula! :D TBH, a lot of the Disney villainess face characters have read "drag" to me. "Drag" is just an exaggeration of gender presentation as a performance.
---
Poor unfortunate soul!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Fun fact: Ursula was inspired by Divine, the legendary drag queen best known for her controversial appearances in John Waters' movies.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The replay of the live was almost insufferable. I love how they all think they know the inside scoop at Disney Corporate :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was getting worried where this was headed when the convo first started, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see the narrative flipped quickly. Good on y'all.

I mean, a drag show on Main Street would be worth it enough just to see Desantis' head explode.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.