The DisUnplugged #4 They tried to make Pete go to rehab, but he said I need my phone!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
what a straw man and what’s “liveable” anyway? Should an employer pay a “liveable wage” to an entry level employee who is starting out in life to gain skills and establish experience? Is a living wage to me a living wage of someone with 3 kids?

If you don’t like the wages don’t agree to the employment
If the job you offer doesn't give you enough $$$ to afford basic housing I'd say that's the bare minimum of a livable wage.

You shouldn't need to have 3-4 roommates to put a roof over your head.

Reactions: 17
I think there's an Orlando based real estate agent in these messages who can help you find a house if you end up moving 😉
I just sent an inquiry to Sean Faulk's real estate website to get started. I understand we'll probably have to pay HOA fees but I'm getting some major sticker shock with some of these townhomes hoa fees

• Heart
Reactions: 2
If the job you offer doesn't give you enough $$$ to afford basic housing I'd say that's the bare minimum of a livable wage.

…why not? If I choose to live in Manhattan a livable wage is different then living in Brooklyn. If I choose to live in an area with a higher cost of living roommates will supplement it.

You don’t get it all ways, and cast member entry level jobs will not afford you a home. So I will choose to be employed elsewhere.

…why not? If I choose to live in Manhattan a livable wage is different then living in Brooklyn. If I choose to live in an area with a higher cost of living roommates will supplement it.

You don’t get it all ways, and cast member entry level jobs will not afford you a home. So I will choose to be employed elsewhere.
I'm not saying home, but a studio apartment or one bedroom apartment should be affordable.

It's one thing if you are from the boonies and decide to try to make it in the "Big Apple" it's another for people born and raised in one locale not being able to afford to live in their home town.

Reactions: 4

Agreed - I define "livable wage" not necessarily as supporting a family, but enough for a single person to afford a place to live on their own.

Reactions: 8
Sigh* i tried...I will never understand why people agree to work somewhere where they don't make enough money. I feel like it's the same people who agreed to and took out their student loans and then cry and demand the government forgive/cancel their debt!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Sigh* i tried...I will never understand why people agree to work somewhere where they don't make enough money. I feel like it's the same people who agreed to and took out their student loans and then cry and demand the government forgive/cancel their debt!
They agree to work somewhere where they don’t make enough money because it’s what they could get and they are not ready to roll over and die yet. I agree with you minimum wage is stupid and the ideas Dems come up with to help people are a joke. However if you look at young people growing up right now and don’t think older generations robbed them of the same ability to financially thrive either you are not being honest or you are misinformed.

Reactions: 8
They agree to work somewhere where they don’t make enough money because it’s what they could get and they are not ready to roll over and die yet. I agree with you minimum wage is stupid and the ideas Dems come up with to help people are a joke. However if you look at young people growing up right now and don’t think older generations robbed them of the same ability to financially thrive either you are not being honest or you are misinformed.
Just look at what someone making minimum wage was able to afford in the 50s-70s.

I'm tired of hearing boomers say "I didn't need any loans to pay for my college! I just worked part time at the soda fountain!"

Except the fact the cost of that same degree went from $4000 to $40000.

A price of a house went from $50000 to $500000.

Reactions: 13
Just look at what someone making minimum wage was able to afford in the 50s-70s.

I'm tired of hearing boomers say "I didn't need any loans to pay for my college! I just worked part time at the soda fountain!"

Except the fact the cost of that same degree went from $4000 to $40000.

A price of a house went from $50000 to $500000.
Exactly, anyone working full time could afford to live and most could even eventually afford the American dream of owning a home. The data suggests millennials and gen z are not only screwed in favor of previous generations benefit - but the ones who listened to “the right thing to do” and go after furthering there education are under water the worst. Now, If you took out a boat load of cash for a silly degree like gender studies, I’m sorry but I’m not sure what career you thought you would be getting. If you enjoyed the field though, that’s great. The vast majority of people growing up right now really did get a raw deal though and they did what the adults of that time told them to do. Now they are being told they are lazy by those same elders and the suicide rate is depressingly high among young people.

Reactions: 6
I am definitely NOT anti-business but I can understand the cast members frustration here. There is no way you can tell me that the 2 U.S. parks don't make a ton of money. Disney just attempts to maximize profits there to make up for their loss leader du jour whether it be Disney+, ESPN , Shanghai, etc. Also, we the consumer have to suffer with less quality and higher prices for those very same external factors.
Once again, I am definitely not anti-business but I'm becoming more and more anti-Disney. That being said I own DVC.🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I can see both sides to the wage argument. What I can't stand is when an employer is paying a low wage and then can't find people that will work for that wage. They then complain how lazy people are and no one wants to work.

No, they don't want to work for what you are willing to pay. If that is all you can pay and no one is interested, then you actually don't have a viable business.

Both employees and employers need to adjust expectations.

Reactions: 9
I can see both sides to the wage argument. What I can't stand is when an employer is paying a low wage and then can't find people that will work for that wage. They then complain how lazy people are and no one wants to work.

No, they don't want to work for what you are willing to pay. If that is all you can pay and no one is interested, then you actually don't have a viable business.

Both employees and employers need to adjust expectations.
I agree with this 👍

Reactions: 1
I so wish they had at least one bleeping person with an opposing view point to their liberal view points. Them and their insane beliefs on high wage increases for a theme park job. Craig mentioned the other week how awesome it is that people working at target are going g to start at $24 an hour. Do these SJWs, who are the types who like to tell people to "shop local," realize that these things will kill small businesses? Like I said, I just wish there was ONE person on the team who would have an opposing view point.
Many employees at theme park jobs etc are not teenagers. They are adults with families and should be paid a living wage. If a business whether small or large can't afford that....then they have no business being in business period. That's not a liberal idea...it's just a logical idea.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Many employees at theme park jobs etc are not teenagers. They are adults with families and should be paid a living wage. If a business whether small or large can't afford that....then they have no business being in business period. That's not a liberal idea...it's just a logical idea.
Who are you to tell who should be a business or not? No one is being held hostage. If they’re not happy with their wage, they can quit and seek other employment.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Who are you to tell who should be a business or not? No one is being held hostage. If they’re not happy with their wage, they can quit and seek other employment.
If a business can't afford to pay their employees a living wage then they aren't running a proper business. Who am I? Someone in their 50s who has owned 5 businesses in my lifetime.....one of my company's had 20 employees and I always paid at least a living wage...that's who I am....and who are you being a jerk simply because I said everyone should be paid fairly. Good god

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I just hope we never lose sight of one thing...that this thread was started out of disdain for and what's happened to the disunplugged.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Sometimes people don't have a choice

Reactions: 7
If a business can't afford to pay their employees a living wage then they aren't running a proper business. Who am I? Someone in their 50s who has owned 5 businesses in my lifetime.....one of my company's had 20 employees and I always paid at least a living wage...that's who I am....and who are you being a jerk simply because I said everyone should be paid fairly. Good god
That's who he is, folks...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.