The Coronation of King Charles III #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many European countries have Royal Families, and they do not have coronations, it’s a uniquely British thing to do. The flip side though, is many people across the Western World don’t really know of any other Royal Family, other than the British one, and a big part of its selling point as an advert for GB is the pomp and ceremony. Think about how many people visit the Tower of London every year just as an example.
Tonga is the only other country that does similar.

Reactions: 3
From reading this thread and others, it seems some posters dont have a clue about the princes trust and how much Charles has helped young people, he's hardly out of touch with the younger generation.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I thought part of the problem yesterday was Justin Welby. He always sounds as though he belongs in a board room rather than a church and he ought to have learned his lines. Rowan Williams would have been so much better.
I was a bit disappointed as well. It did look like the twilight of the monarchy. Charles and Camilla both looked old and a bit unwell. The crowd outside were quite subdued and the flypast was curtailed by the rain.

Reactions: 2

Yel

Lots complaining that it either cost too much or they should have spent more.

Makes me think they've balanced it somewhat well. They've made it clear from the start they wanted to have a coronation that represented value for UK plc. Blowing more probably wouldn't have given much of a greater return on the investment. I heard that police overtime was one of the biggest costs, so it's not like it was burnt and will be multiplied in the economy.

I thought it was great. It was as ridiculous and stuffy as I'd expected. Perfect stuff to have on in the background with some early bubbly. All the minor slip ups added to it. Wasn't impressed with the BBC commentary, trying to appeal to everyone so pleases no one. These days they should have a couple of different audio streams to pick from.

Reactions: 21
As much as I enjoyed the Coronation I did feel it was trying to be all things to all men and not quite capturing anything properly. My feeling is they should have gone all out with robes, tiaras crowns, including foreign royals blinging it up.

Reactions: 3
Maybe it's his age 😬. I thought they'd be a bit more energetic (and maybe that might help with mood) but I forget he's in his 70s.
I think it's people didn't know really what to expect. At least with a royal wedding you kind of know, cause well it's a wedding albeit a posh one.

Reactions: 6
I enjoyed it because the Brits are masters of pomp and ceremony and I am always impressed by how well executed these events are, but I didn't feel great joy from the K&Q on the balcony. They just didn't look that happy. Poor Camilla looked stiff and awkward. Maybe they didn't know how to act, or that acting too jolly would appear bad taste; I think they were all a little dammed if they do and damned if they don't with all the criticism of the event with a cost of living crisis. William didn't look that happy/excited either. They all seemed to be weighed down. They are of course a family like any other when stripped down and have all this Harry crap to deal with in the background. Charles has a lovely, warm smile when he does it genuinely and it makes his eyes twinkle - it would have been good to see that on the balcony.

William had a short allegiance script to say and should have memorised it. It looked odd as he was saying his lines to the piece of card not to Charles although apparently Prince Philip didn't memorise it either. To me it felt awkward. The 'cheat sheets' didn't bother me in general for Charles as there was a lot to get through at different points but those few short lines would be easy for William: "I, William, Prince of Wales, pledge my loyalty to you and faith and truth I will bear unto you, as your liege man of life and limb. So help me God."

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I thought it went well and everyone involved should be very proud of themselves. Even Prince Harry for not making it not all about him and leaving after the service. So much could have gone wrong on the day...but it didn't.

Reactions: 5
I thought part of the problem yesterday was Justin Welby. He always sounds as though he belongs in a board room rather than a church and he ought to have learned his lines. Rowan Williams would have been so much better.
I was a bit disappointed as well. It did look like the twilight of the monarchy. Charles and Camilla both looked old and a bit unwell. The crowd outside were quite subdued and the flypast was curtailed by the rain.
If you watch clips of the Queen’s Coronation they all read from prompt cards then as well! Philip read from one like William did etc.

The crowds were probably soaking wet and cold. The TV commentators kept mentioning the rain. I think it would have made a big difference if it had been nice weather and I think the other family members would probably have been in open carriages which the crowds would have enjoyed more being able to see them more clearly.

Reactions: 8
First time commenting here but I did follow it yesterday.
For me it was really interesting to see, a combination of a religious ceremony and military operations.
Charles and Camilla didn't look too well and it must be hard to go through something like that knowing it's because your mum died. The Queen was such a steady factor for so long it must have shaken the whole family.
No matter what people say about Camilla she obviously loves him to put up with what she has and to still be there. I imagine that's why he's given her the queen title.
Williams coronation with Katherine will be what people want to see so I imagine it'll be grander with alot more cheering, more of a celebration.

Reactions: 6
What time is the concert today? Also, I know Katy Perry, Lionel Richie, etc are taking part. Any idea who else is taking part?

Makes me wonder how those ancient coronations and similar. When you read about some of the ancient leaders and how they were celebrated, it makes our King or Queen's coronation look small time. Back in the day those Egyptian and African royalty were celebrated with so much finery and gold on display, must have been incredible.

Reactions: 2
That’s a terrible line up. The jubilee concert last year was so good that it feels like a massive let down.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.